1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    GRIT has also recently shown the Republic Trucolor, CATTLE QUEEN OF MONTANA -1958 with Barbara Stanwyck, they full screened it. Like OKLAHOMA ANNIE, CATTLE QUEEN is a three-color Trucolor.

GRIT has a Roy Roger double feature on Sunday 4/22/18 7AM to 10:30AM, EST.

SOUTH OF CALIENTE- 1951 B&W, This is the next to last Roy Rogers Republic with Dale Evans and Pinky Lee. Hour and a half slot, might be uncut should be 67-68 minutes.

SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS- 1947 TRUCOLOR. It is showing in a two hour slot so it should be the full 74-75 minute version. I wonder if it will be the privately restored version available from Film Chest and Alpha, or the older print?

Bert Greene likes this.
  2. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

One of the Cinecolor westerns I'd like to see looking spruced up is "Rose of Cimarron" (1952), with Mala Powers. Fox released it, but I don't think produced it, and probably isn't part of their library (sort of like that Randolph Scott / Nat Holt trio), I'm assuming. I've never seen a really decent print of this one. No idea who the rights are with. Ditto for the Cinecolor "Rogue River" (1950), a rather interesting modern-day crime film, shot entirely on location in rural, small-town Oregon. It featured Rory Calhoun and Peter Graves (in his first film), and usually gets categorized as a western. Used to occasionally pop up on the late-late-show, many moons ago.

Sure would like to see some quality remasterings of these two, in addition to the Rogers films. Some of those color Monte Hale features would also be welcome, come to think of it.

Steve...O and Bob Gu like this.
  3. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    The Encore Western channel ran some Monte Hale Magnacolor westerns a few years ago. The ones I saw were HOME ON THE RANGE (1946) and CALIFORNIA FIREBRAND (1948). IIRC, they looked restored to me, but don't quote me on that.

Bob Gu likes this.
  4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Good. I hope that's the case. I remember "Home on the Range" and "Out California Way" circulating in the pre-cable days, and then later on seeing most of the later b&w Hale titles back when I first had Encore Westerns in the late-1990s. At a film festival I saw a b&w print of the color "Along the Oregon Trail" (1947), and thought I recalled some scuttlebutt about it being a title in which color prints were impossible to find. I don't know if this was just in reference to collecting circles or perhaps a more grave situation akin to some of the problems with those Roy Rogers films.

Bob Gu likes this.
  5. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SOUTH OF CALIENTE and SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS, shown on GRIT today, were both uncut.

CALIENTE was an O.K. not bad print.

SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS was the best print I have seen on this title. I have a collector copy, and the Film Chest, and Alpha releases. I thought the Film Chest/Alpha releases were an improvement over the collector copy, but looking at all three today, against the print shown on GRIT, I was wrong.

The colors on the print shown on GRIT are very clean, natural and even toned looking to me, and the contrast is excellent and details in the dark areas, that were lost in the other three versions, are clearly seen. The GRIT SIERRAS print is not as sharp or colorful as the Rogers Kinos, but a big improvement on what was around before.

It's nice to hope, Paramount is providing GRIT with better material on Roy Rogers. And also hope the not good enough for Blu-Ray Republics can still make it to DVD.

RBailey and ChrisALM like this.