What's new

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Not a Trucolor, but I just watched Film Detective Restored Version of ROMANCE ON THE RANGE issued 1/20/2017. Run time is 53 min. instead of 63 min (package even says 63 min.). No Republic logo at the beginning, soft picture, etc. DON"T BUY!!! Buy the Rare Roy Rogers Movies Vol. 4. Its run time is 60 min...almost there. Probably a few songs cut out.

EDIT: The one streamed from Amazon runs 62 min., is a "beautiful" print with opening Republic logo.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Since we keep hearing that the other existing Roy Rogers Trucolors are not in good enough shape for Blu-Ray, I hope they would do of DVD only set of the lesser condition Trucolors and the best complete B&W prints of the others.

Maybe Kino could re-release BELLS OF CORONADO on Blu-Ray and DVD, since the Lion's Gate/Spelling/Republic DVD edition is out of print.

The UCLA Archive lists full Trucolor elements for GRAND CANYON TRAIL. Would Paramount spring for a restoration?

Most of the uncut or longest versions out there of Rogers movies are up at YouTube. Some one even posted an uncut version of KING OF THE COWBOYS with the alternate scene versions I talked about in Post #56, at the end of the video.

But if you want to own Roy Rogers movies the solution is still Sinister Cinema, Alpha, Film Chest, and old Republic Home Video VHS.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Republic also gave Mary Lee a few solo ventures, like "Nobody's Darling" (1943), "Shantytown" (1943), and "Three Little Sisters" (1944). I remember seeing the latter on television a long time ago, but never the first two. Wish these kinds of Republic B's would circulate more. From the B-westerns to the various odds-and-ends like the Judy Canova or Higgins Family films.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Not a Trucolor, but I just watched Film Detective Restored Version of ROMANCE ON THE RANGE issued 1/20/2017. Run time is 53 min. instead of 63 min (package even says 63 min.). No Republic logo at the beginning, soft picture, etc. DON"T BUY!!! Buy the Rare Roy Rogers Movies Vol. 4. Its run time is 60 min...almost there. Probably a few songs cut out.

EDIT: The one streamed from Amazon runs 62 min., is a "beautiful" print with opening Republic logo.

Look again. I just went to Amazon Prime, found the film and started watching it. It's 53 min., has no Republic logo, and is a murky print shown in the wrong aspect ratio with everyone stretched out.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Republic also gave Mary Lee a few solo ventures, like "Nobody's Darling" (1943), "Shantytown" (1943), and "Three Little Sisters" (1944). I remember seeing the latter on television a long time ago, but never the first two. Wish these kinds of Republic B's would circulate more. From the B-westerns to the various odds-and-ends like the Judy Canova or Higgins Family films.

Some of the Judy Canova films are pretty good. HONEYCHILE from 1951 and in Trucolor has Judy and Eddie Foy Jr. working together as a pretty good team. A great action climax at the end of this one. Another good one is William Witney's WAC FROM WALLA WALLA featuring a Pre-Granny Irene Ryan. The great Andy Clyde co-stars with Judy in CAROLINA CANNONBALL which features some neat Lydecker Brothers special effects with the train left over from Gene Autry's MELODY RANCH.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Re: ROMANCE ON THE RANGE It was mentioned years ago on this thread that the Sinister Cinema DVD-R was uncut, (62m36s out of reference book runtime of 63m).

Mr. Luce of Sinister mentioned in a recent catalog that he's thinking of retiring, so anybody that might want to get his uncut Rogers titles........

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Look again. I just went to Amazon Prime, found the film and started watching it. It's 53 min., has no Republic logo, and is a murky print shown in the wrong aspect ratio with everyone stretched out.

That's what was shown one year ago, I have no idea what prime shows now.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Some of the Judy Canova films are pretty good. HONEYCHILE from 1951 and in Trucolor has Judy and Eddie Foy Jr. working together as a pretty good team. A great action climax at the end of this one. Another good one is William Witney's WAC FROM WALLA WALLA featuring a Pre-Granny Irene Ryan. The great Andy Clyde co-stars with Judy in CAROLINA CANNONBALL which features some neat Lydecker Brothers special effects with the train left over from Gene Autry's MELODY RANCH.

I think "Carolina Cannonball" is the only Canova vehicle I haven't seen. I really should try to see it, as I'm indeed a fan of Andy Clyde, from both his Columbia shorts and his funny George MacMichael character in "Real McCoys." My favorite Canova title is probably "Sis Hopkins" (1941), a really solid comedy, which also spotlighted Bob Crosby and his orchestra (one of my favorite bands). Also some hilarious old-time comedy bits from Jerry Colonna and Elvia Allman. "Sleepy Lagoon" (1943) was a good one too, albeit a bit more laid-back. The only one I found a bit too ridiculous was "Untamed Heiress" (1954), which sported some really sloppy slapstick (although I bet kids at the Saturday matinees back in the day probably loved it). Anyway, one of these days I'll need to get around to "Carolina Cannonball!"

Lizzie Q

Auditioning
Real Name
Elizabeth
Just read my way through this thread, thank you to all for the great info on finding good copies of Roy's movies. My 4 year old twin nephews are obsessed with Roy (and Trigger) and aside from the three releases from Roan, I have had a hard time finding anything of good quality. Does anyone know about the Classic Movies DVD releases? They say they had access to the Masters and their films are uncut but saying it and actually having done it are, of course, not the same thing. Has anyone has and experience with their sets?

http://classicmoviesdvd.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=roy rogers&product_id=2520

http://classicmoviesdvd.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=roy rogers

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just read my way through this thread, thank you to all for the great info on finding good copies of Roy's movies. My 4 year old twin nephews are obsessed with Roy (and Trigger) and aside from the three releases from Roan, I have had a hard time finding anything of good quality. Does anyone know about the Classic Movies DVD releases? They say they had access to the Masters and their films are uncut but saying it and actually having done it are, of course, not the same thing. Has anyone has and experience with their sets?

http://classicmoviesdvd.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=roy rogers&product_id=2520

http://classicmoviesdvd.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=roy rogers

Here are DVDs that contain quite a few of his movies that sell on Amazon.

1-ULTIMATE ROY ROGERS COLLECTION-28 movies
2-THE ROY ROGERS COLLECTION-20 movies
3-ROY ROGERS-12 movies
4-ROY ROGERS-KING OF THE COWBOYS-20 movies.

Of course, some will be doubles, some are pretty darn good and some aren't the correct running time, but, all in all, it's what I've bought for my collection.

Hope that helps.

John

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Lizzie Q, for the best quality, you should get the Kino/Lorber DVD/Blu-Ray release of the coming TRIGGER, JR. and the previously released SUNSET IN THE WEST, and SON OF PALEFACE.

For the rest, the easiest thing to do is stick with what you get from free YouTube. Your nephews can watch them on an internet connected Smart TV, live, or download them to your computer and make your own DVD-Rs or transfer them to a USB flash drive and watch on a gadget or TV with USB video playback ability. YouTube uploads are confusing about the runtimes because many of them extend the time by running part of the movie over. But many of the Republic Home Video VHS releases are up in uncut versions. And some other uncut versions from private collectors are also up.

The over the air digital channel GRIT TV shows some Roy Rogers movies, usually the cut versions. But they look good, especially on a smaller screen. I believe SAN FERNANDO VALLEY is being shown uncut, based on the two hour time slot it is shown in.

Since the Roy Rogers movies are believed to be in the Public Domain there have been many releases with many different picture quality and runtimes since the 1980s. I started collecting Roy's movies since 1991 and my collection consists of editions on VHS from Republic Home Video, Sinister Cinema, and others. DVDs from Lion's Gate, Kino, Alpha and DVD-Rs from Sinister and private collectors. Sinister actually did some cleanup on their releases of Roy Rogers movies when released on DVD-R but not on their VHS releases.

I have not seen the sets you mention, but I am sure they are sourced from all of the above and from collector films. That site is a hybrid site that sells Public Domain titles, commercial releases, and bootlegs.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Not a Roy Rogers Trucolor, but GRIT-TV has been showing a Trucolor called MONTANA BELLE, with Jane Russell, George Brent, Scott Brady, Forrest Tucker, Ray Teal, and Andy Devine. It's a fictional story about Belle Starr and the Dalton Gang.

MONTANA BELLE was filmed at Republic in 1948, but held back from release by Republic by an independent production company and sold to Howard Hughes and RKO. It was finally released in 1952.

MONTANA BELLE is on GRIT as part of a Warner Brothers package of westerns and the Trucolor looks pretty nice. This could be a candidate for a Warner Archive release, at least, in DVD, if not Blu-Ray.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
GRIT-TV is showing another non-Rogers Republic Trucolor, 6:30 AM to 8:30 AM EST, Easter Sunday April 1. OKLAHOMA ANNIE-1952, with Judy Canova, John "Lawman" Russell, Grant Withers, and Roy Barcroft.

Later, on Sunday, at 7 PM to 9:30 PM EST, GRIT is showing THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER-1953 starring Guy Madison, Frank Lovejoy, Helen Wescott, and Vera Miles. Originally a 3-D movie, it has never been released to Disc. I don't think it was ever released on VHS either. I guess it has been on cable, but this is the first over the air broadcast in my area since the 80's or 90's. ( I have a foggy looking SLP VHS copy.) It will have multiple broadcasts on Grit in April.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks