What's new

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
There are many Republic westerns and non westerns on DVD in Germany.

More Rod Cameron:
Rod strangling John 'Lawman' Russell in "Hell's Outpost" and embracing Adele Mara in, "The Sea Hornet"-1951.
1 Hell's Outpost-1954  The Sea Hornet-1951.jpg

"San Antone"-1953, with Katy Jurado.
2 San Antone.jpg

Some German Roy Rogers DVDs:
3 In Old Caliente Southward Ho!.jpg

4.jpg

The two Vaughn Monroe Trucolors:
"Singing Guns"-1950 and "The Toughest Man In Arizona-1952.
5 Vaughn Monroe Singing Guns The Toughest Man in Arizona.jpg

The absence of English sound tracks in the Amazon.de listings of many of the titles may indicate that these are from German TV prints. How old any of the prints are, or if they are newer Paramount prints with color correction, is not known from reading the customer reviews. There are no signs of any Paramount copyright info with these releases on the back case art on the titles shown at Amazon.de.

Many of the titles are low stock or out of print.

Wild Bill Elliott became a western star with Columbia in serials and B-features series, usually as "Wild Bill Hickok" or "Wild Bill Saunders". Elliott also had a series where he teamed-up with Tex Ritter.

Elliott came to Republic in 1943, billed as "Wild Bill Elliott". He first starred in a "Wild Bill Elliott" series with Gabby Hayes. Later he became "Red Ryder" in Republics' Red Ryder series. Since they were in black and white he didn't dye his hair red.

In 1946 Elliott dropped the "Wild" from his credit. and appeared in a higher budgeted Republic series of ten movies with longer runtimes.

I found single releases of nine of them at Amazon.de. The missing single title "Wyoming"-1947 is part of a German only, seven movie box set, as "Hyanen der Prarie".

"In Old Sacramento"-1946 English track listed. "Old Los Angeles"-1948 German only, English subtitles listed.
6 In Old Sacramento English track listed Old Los Angeles German track English subtitles listed.jpg

"The Gallant Legion"-1948, "The Fabulous Texan"-1947. Only German soundtracks listed for these two.
7 German only The Gallant Legion The Fabulous Texan.jpg

"The Plainsman And The Lady"-1947, "The Savage Horde"-1950. English track listed for both.
8 The Plainsman and the Lady The Savage Horde English Tracks.jpg

The two Elliott Trucolors: "Hellfire"-1949, English track listed. "The Last Bandit"-1949, German only.
9 Hellfire-English track listed The Last Bandit NO English track.jpg

"The Showdown"-1950. German only listed. This case art is actually for, "Calling Wil Bill Elliott"-1943, Elliott's first Republic movie.
10 The Showdown wrong picture cast.jpg

A German Wild Bill Elliott box set, German only.
11 seven movie set German only.jpg

I have the ten Elliott "A" Republics from 90's TV broadcasts, VHS rentals, and Republic Home Video commercial VHS releases. There were actually single VHS releases of "The Showdown", "Hellfire" and "The Last Bandit". There was a VHS box set with two of Elliotts "Bs" and three of the "As", "The Fabulous Texan", "Wyoming" and "The Plainsman and the Lady". "Calling Wild Bill Elliott" was also released by RHV as a single title.

It's interesting that Europe is or was making these Republics available.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Indeed, quite fascinating seeing such items being released overseas. "Hell's Outpost" (1955) is a minor, but fun film. How could I not love a film starring two of my top favorites, Rod Cameron and Joan Leslie? And John Russell plays one mean SOB in it. Some of these late-era Republics used to get knocked for their old-fashionedness, and maybe they are, but heck, I enjoy their unpretentiousness. Amazing how Rod Cameron still kept so busy in feature films in the 1950s, while starring in his string of three Revue tv-series. I'm glad Kino managed to put out "The Man Who Died Twice" (1958). There's also another late Republic that year which also starred Vera Ralston, "The Notorious Mr. Monks" (1958), which I've never managed to catch. Wonder how it is.

So many Republic releases from those final few years were indie production pickups or British films and whatnot, but I'm still always curious about their own homegrown studio product, there in those waning days. I always rather liked "Terror at Midnight" (1956), with Joan Vohs being a blackmail victim. Scott Brady was the lead in that one. Republic did two or three of those juvenile delinquent films that were in vogue, but the only one I believe I've seen is "Young and Wild" (1958). Not really my cup of tea, but I remember it had Carolyn Kearney in it, whom I liked, and who was a rather common fixture on tv-shows for a while in the early-1960s. "Affair in Reno" (1957) with John Lund, used to make the rounds, but I really don't remember much about it. I still have an old off-air vhs recording of "The Man is Armed" (1956), with Dane Clark, which is okay, but a bit cheesey production-wise. Still a fair number of those late Republics I haven't seen or need to revisit. If anything, I've been more busy trying to track down the opposite... the earliest years of Republic product. Some of those are pretty tough to find. Anyone ever see "The Girl from Mandalay" (1936) with Kay Linaker, for example?

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
A couple more Republic '50s movies have been released by ViaVision of Australia. SEA OF LOST SHIPS and A PERILOUS JOURNEY are put of a five disc set. I ordered this set from Import CDs and was very happy with the films. They look fine but I wish they were available on Blu-ray. However, it enabled me to see a couple more later Republic films.

Hopefully, someone will release the restored FAIR WIND TO JAVA on Blu-ray sometime.

Attachments

• sea.jpg
    sea.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 73
  • PERIL.jpg
    PERIL.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 69

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
COLORADO-1940, B&W 57 minutes.
1.jpg

I have COLORADO from the Mill Creek/Treeline 50 Western Classics set. It's a 53 minute version. This syndicated print has a ringing Independence Hall Republic logo re-attached to the front and no logo at the rear. Has a generic 'THE END' and the end technical credits. There's a YouTube upload showing 56 minutes, but it's one of those odd versions, out there, where they slow down the film to falsely extend the running time.

The plot: It's the Civil War and Roy plays 'Jerry Burke' a special Union operative, answerable only to Abraham Lincoln. He's sent to Colorado to root out Rebels masquerading as Union supporters and the outlaw gang they are running. They are trying to cause enough trouble to draw Union troops away from the main battles eastward.

6 cast.jpg

Roy and Gabby are on a stagecoach with Pauline Moore, when the stage is held up by a robber after the Union Army payroll. Roy recognizes his brother, Milburn Stone, as the bandit, and wounds Stone, as he escapes, causing Stone to drop the loot.

2.jpg

When the stagecoach arrives in Denver, Roy is surprised when Stone, dressed as a Union officer, meets the stage to welcome his intended, Pauline Moore. Roy is surprised because his brother is a professed Rebel sympathizer.

Later, Roy confronts Stone, privately, and Stone tells him, he now supports the Union and only robbed the stage to pay off his debts.

Roy chooses to believe him, for now, and doesn't arrest him. The family loyalty angle makes for a little more sentimental drama, then we usually see in a Roy Rogers movie.

Roy takes over.
3 Roy takes over.jpg

After making some other arrests, Roy knows his brother is in with the Rebels.
4 Arresting spies.jpg

The arrests leave a path open for Milburn Stone to take over the remaining rebel organization, for his own monetary gain.

Milburn Stone takes over.
5 Milburn Stone takes over.jpg

Milburn Stone captures wounded Roy and tends his wounds.
7  Doc operates on wounded  Roy.jpg

While mending, Roy sings to Pauline Moore, Maude Eburne and Gabby.
8.jpg

Back at his work, Roy arrests Arthur Loft and Hal Taliaferro.
9.jpg

Roy still has to stop his brother.

Chasing the gang.
10 chasing the gang.jpg

Closing in.
11  closing in.jpg

Roy captures and tends wounded Milburn Stone.
12.jpg

What's missing? There's only one song. Was there another?

There's a cut at about he 5:30 mark, during the stage stop scene, with Gabby and Maude Eburne. We can surmise that there is a missing comedy bit where delusional Gabby, no doubt, fends off 'persnickity' Maude's advances.

Missing scene still.
13.jpg

Milburn Stone, of course, was 'Doc' on "Gunsmoke".
14.jpg

Prior to "Gunsmoke", Milburn Stone had a nice run as a B character actor, Sometimes he was far down in the cast list, other times he was a co-lead or even top-billed.
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.JPG

YouTube 53 minute version.

Also on Republic Theater today. "The Last Crooked Mile"-1946 with Don 'Red' Barry, Ann Savage, and Adele Mara. A fun crime caper. Watched a nice print on YouTube but it's gone now. A darker print is still up though.
fLwRv6h4Bm7QYWF3D48DH0bzvyS.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Apropos of nothing, I had to take a road trip through an area that has one of the few remaining Roy Rogers in my region of the country and we detoured out of the way to indulge in some roast beef sandwiches and fried chicken. Haven’t been to one in ages and it was a delight to have that familiar comfort food and to see all of the old posters on display.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
"The Last Crooked Mile" (1946-Rep) is zesty b-film entertainment. I still have an off-air VHS recording of it that I made back in 1985. Of all of Republic's minor, post-war mystery/detective b-films, I think this one is perhaps one of the most noirish in terms of storyline, photography, and dialogue. Although I'd still suspect noir purists to be down on its lighter, breezy tone and dollops of humor. Much of that comic relief comes from Adele Mara, whom I consider a big plus in the film (as she always is). The following year, Mara graduated to being the lead detective character herself in "Exposed" (1947-Rep), which is a lot of fun, even if its script and direction are admittedly far more perfunctory than "Mile." As for Donald Barry, although his Republic western series of the early-1940s is a polished, satisfying batch, I've still always felt that he seems more comfortable in these modern, contemporary items, where his wiseguy persona works better.

Upthread I was mentioning western films that sported titles that didn't seem obviously westerny, like "Wild Girl" (1932-Fox) and "Caught" (1931-Par). But, I failed to mention what was perhaps the most unlikely example of all, "Woman Hungry" (1931-1st Nat), which is indeed a western, and starred Sidney Blackmer and Lila Lee. Always enjoy Blackmer's distinctive voice and diction. The story is actually the old 'The Great Divide' play, so it would be on the soapy, melodramatic side of things, although with Fred Kohler and Raymond Hatton present to provide western color. Indeed, this movie was actually shot in color, with considerable location-shooting out in the California desert. That early two-strip Technicolor. Alas, it seems to be a 'lost' film. The title sure doesn't seem to portend a western. Can you imagine... Roy Rogers and Dale Evans starring in "Woman Hungry." Or, Gene Autry and June Storey starring in "Woman Hungry." Nope. No way. Actually, the film might constitute the most high-level "A" western that's lost, although I'd personally give that crown to RKO's "West of the Pecos" (1934) starring Richard Dix. That's the one I'd most like to see turn up. Sounds like a gem.

On the other side of the coin, there are film titles that seem to sound like a western, but aren't. Like "Helldorado" (1934-Fox), starring Richard Arlen. Not a western. Unlike the later "Heldorado" (1946-Rep) with Roy Rogers, of course. The Arlen film is also impossibly rare. Good luck to anyone who manages to see it. The biggest example of a non-western with a westerny title and even star has to be John Wayne in "Arizona" (1931-Col), which probably fools everyone. After all, it's actually really just a soapy drama, with Laura La Plante being the prime headliner. Although it also features June Clyde, whom I always thought was one of those particularly talented actresses who should have achieved greater film prominence. Just like Joan Marsh and Martha Sleeper. High-quality actresses who were all around for a good many years, but never really seemed to break through. Eh, but that's another topic altogether. As for "Arizona," it's no great shakes, but it would still be neat if that Sony Archive line could put it out on blu, as they did with a few other oldies like "Murder in Greenwich Village" (1937) and "None Shall Escape" (1944).

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
A companion Republic crime picture, to "The Last Crooked Mile", is "The Mysterious Mr. Valentine". "Valentine" was also released in 1946 and had the same director, Philip Ford.

0 same pics different design.jpg

It features Bill Henry as the wise-cracking detective, Linda Stirling as the damsel in distress, and Virginia Christine as the femme fatale.

Bill Henry and Linda Stirling.
2.jpg

Virginia Christine, coffee and cheesecake.
3.jpg

Same pictures different design.
1.jpg

"The Mysterious Mr. Valentine" was only 56 minutes. The upload on YouTube has a Hollywood Television logo and a generic 'THE END'. Hollywood Television was the TV arm of Republic. The 56 -minute runtime is confirmed by Republic Confidential. So, the only edits were the removal of the Republic logos and the 'THE END' that appears over the last live action in the movie.

I wonder if the runtime, of these shorter features, was determined by whatever the runtime of the longer movie it was scheduled to be paired with, as a double feature?

"The Mysterious Mr. Valentine"-YouTube.

Of the actresses, Bert mentions in Post #610, I am really only familiar with June Storey. I know her from her Gene Autry appearances. Her Autry's were pretty much screwball comedies.
7 June Storey.jpg

Bert's ladies:

Lila Lee, very fashionable.
8 aLila Lee 2.jpg

8 lila-lee.jpg

9 UnholyThree Lila Lee.gif

Laura La Plante.
10 Laura La Plante,.jpg

June Clyde, with an early projection television?
11 June Clyde.jpg

Joan Marsh.
12 Joan Marsh.jpg

Martha Sleeper.
13 Martha Sleeper1.jpg

Bert mentions Sidney Blackmer. I confuse him, sometimes, with Alan Baxter and Maurice Evans. Especially seeing them through the decades, at different ages.

Sidney Blackmer.
4 Sidney Blackmer.jpg

Alan Baxter.
5 alan-baxter-200897l.jpg

Maurice Evans.
6 Maurice Evans.jpeg

I looked for pictures of Roy Rogers in a regular suit and hat, to imagine him in a dark city crime movie. No luck.

There are wedding pictures with Dale Evans.
14.jpg

And this one: Roy with 'Pecos' Moore.
15 Roy the Accountant.jpg

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Ah, yes, "the Mysterious Mr. Valentine" (1946-Rep)... I have an original insert-style poster of the film thumbtacked on my wall, among others. Been there for years, and see it every day. As I recall, the movie starts out with a pretty good premise, but eventually the story flounders around a bit as it goes along, never quite capitalizing on its promising beginning. Still, a key opportunity to see serial-queen Linda Stirling in a rare feature spotlight. A bit limited as an actress, she had strikingly good looks and the kind of pleasantly unassuming personality that always won me over. I do seem to remember Virginia Christine as playing the heavy. Although her Mrs. Olsen commercials always come to mind, I also always recall her riveting 'resurrection' scene in "The Mummy's Curse" (1944-Univ), rising from the mud and muck, reaching for the sunlight. A fairly blah movie overall, but that one scene is one heck of a knockout.

Always liked Alan Baxter. I really wish he could have had more leading-man roles, but I guess his peculiarly nasal voice and monotone delivery (which could elicit a genuine sense of menace) relegated him to villainous roles. He headlined a Republic title as far back as "It Could Happen to You" (1937), but didn't really get a (somewhat) good-guy lead until the early-1940s, with a couple of cheapjack PRC war films, and the earlier "Borrowed Hero" (1941) from Monogram. Wish the studios had tapped more guys like him for leads. The landscape of 1930s-era B-movie leading men was sometimes a little lacking (especially compared to the ladies), with so many 'stars' like smarty-pants Ray Walker, uber-glum Donald Cook, and the annoyingly glib Ross Alexander, etc., all populating the lower-bill fare. Some hit the right note, though. I always found Warren Hull and Dick Purcell pretty agreeable, for example. But overall, I'd like some more gruffness, in the vein of Jack Holt, Victor Jory, or Don Terry, to fill in those B-lead ranks, and I think Alan Baxter would have fit in.

Speaking of June Storey, she delivered nicely in the cheapie "Dangerous Lady" (1941-PRC), that little Nick-and-Nora wannabe, co-starring with Neil Hamilton. Although I never could quite buy Hamilton as a sophisticated bon-vivant type (he started playing them a LOT when he hit the B's). He came across better as a more staid, easy-going uppercrust gent, without the corny witticisms. Storey, though, was quite good in the film, with a fine sense of comic timing, which was already apparent in her Gene Autry westerns.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, to perhaps ramble on for a little longer...

There's a Republic Pictures connection to two of those actresses I cited earlier. I was not expressing that they merited A-film mega-stardom or anything, but rather, they seemed talented enough for much higher tier careers than they managed to have. Joan Marsh starred in what I'm pretty sure was Republic's very first musical feature, "Dancing Feet" (1936), along with one of the last Chesterfield/Invincible offerings, "Brilliant Marriage" (1936). Both are decent little films, well-made for poverty row, and not too hampered by their budget limitations, and Joan Marsh is quite vivacious in both. But her career never really developed all that much. The earliest thing I recall seeing her in was in a quick glimpse as one of the romantic spooners in "King of Jazz" (1930), during the "A Bench in the Park" number, and I guess the last was her role as leading-lady in Republic's rambunctious (perhaps even overly-rambunctious) serial "Secret Service in Darkest Africa" (1943) serial, opposite good old Rod Cameron.

The other was Martha Sleeper, whom I think I brought up not too long ago in another thread. She had such an interesting career path, starting out in silent Hal Roach comedies as a young teenage gal, often opposite Charley Chase and Max Davidson. Occasionally even in leading role, as in the wildly slapstick one-reeler "Sure - Mike!" (1925). Also had some really funny bits in the classic "Pass the Gravy" (1928) with Davidson. After that, some 'lost' FBO b-films I'd love to see. But with talkies she veered over to drama. The big studios put her basically in the background, but with poverty-row, she had some bigger roles and showed some solid acting chops in things like Monogram's "Broken Dreams" (1933) with Randolph Scott, and for producer Trem Carr of Monogram, one of the earlist Republic releases, "Two Sinners" (1935), opposite Otto Kruger and still-living child actress Cora Sue Collins. A really fine b-movie that unfortunately gets a bit truncated as it rushes to its conclusion. A top-notch showcase for Sleeper, but her career still just limped along. She wound up making a bigger splash on stage, and then (of all things) originated a line of Bakelite costume-jewelry of cutesy, offbeat subjects, which was quite successful, and still popular among collectors. I've seen them at antique shows.

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
Joan Marsh starred in what I'm pretty sure was Republic's very first musical feature, "Dancing Feet" (1936), along with one of the last Chesterfield/Invincible offerings, "Brilliant Marriage" (1936). Both are decent little films, well-made for poverty row, and not too hampered by their budget limitations, and Joan Marsh is quite vivacious in both. But her career never really developed all that much. The earliest thing I recall seeing her in was in a quick glimpse as one of the romantic spooners in "King of Jazz" (1930), during the "A Bench in the Park" number, and I guess the last was her role as leading-lady in Republic's rambunctious (perhaps even overly-rambunctious) serial "Secret Service in Darkest Africa" (1943) serial, opposite good old Rod Cameron.
Beautiful Joan Marsh. To me, she always looked and sounded like Gene Tierney, though her screen career predated Tierney's by many years. She was the daughter of eminent cinematographer Charles Rosher, who won an Oscar for his work on "The Yearling"(1946). By that time his daughter had retired from films, eventually running a stationery shop. She played a few leads in the 30's, pretty much all B's though. But was an appealing supporting presence in a number of A's, including a stint as W.C. Field's daughter in "You're Telling Me!". Marsh never reached the elevated level of success Gene Tierney did. But it wasn't for lack of charm, beauty or talent - all of which she had in abundance.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD-1950, is scheduled to be shown on GritTV , three times in December.
trailofrobinhoodposter.jpg

Eastern Times: Monday Dec, 13, 1:00 A.M.
Dec. 24 1:00 A.M.
Dec. 25 8:00 A.M.

I hope it will be the uncut restored color-corrected version, last seen, (as far as anyone on this thread knows), on TCM, in 2018.

GritTV has not shown any Roy Rogers movies in quite a spell. Maybe the Rogers package is back in the Grit rotation. Be nice if they run the newest restoration, again, of SPRINGTIME IN THE SIERRAS-1947.

I didn't remember that was Joan Marsh in, "Secret Service in Darkest Africa"-1943.
Joan Marsh.jpg

Gene Tierney in "Belle Starr"-1941.
MV5BNGFmMDFjZDgtNDgxNC00YjViLWFlNTEtZjBjNTM1NmZiYjczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
MAN FROM OKLAHOMA-1945, B&W, 68 minutes.
1.jpg

I have the Goodtimes DVD with the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans "Happy Trails Theater" wrap-arounds. The runtime of the feature portion is approximately 53 minutes. No Republic logos, has a generic 'THE END'. At this point the end technical credits were part of the opening credits. Some of the "Happy Trails Theater" versions are on YouTube and also on the free, with commercials, streaming sites.

2.jpg

Plot: Roy and the Sons of the Pioneers are trying to break into the show business, in New York City. Promoter, Arthur Loft signs them to a $2000.00 a week contract. But then, Loft promotes a loan of $900.00 from Shug Fisher, the groups money holder.

When Roy finds out, he rushes back to Loft's office, only to find it empty. Roy and the Pioneers get word from back home in Oklahoma that Uncle Gabby is dying.

Broke, they need train fare to get back. The only person they know in New York City is Dale Evans.
3.jpg

Dale's a night club singer and member of a family that is feuding with Gabby's family. Dale reluctantly loans them the money, $342,16, but smells a rat when she, too, is summoned home by her granny, Maude Eburne, because of the feud.

6.jpg

When Roy and the Pioneers get back, they find out that Gabby was not dying and wanted them back to fight Maude Eburne's family.

Gabby's full of beans.
4.jpg

Later, Arthur Loft and his secretary, Elaine Lange, show up in town. Roy is able to get the $900.00 back and repay Dale, the $342.16.

Arthur Loft with Elaine Lange.
7.jpg

$342.16.
8.jpg

Gabby and Roy with Roger Pryor.
5.jpg

Roger Pryor has leased the Eburne side of a strip of land she owns next to a similar strip owned by Gabby. Pryor has found oil on the land but keeps that a secret. He figures he can stir up trouble between Maude and Gabby and buy the land cheap.

9.jpg

Roy is suspicious and starts snooping. (Roy's crime count: trespassing, malicious mischief, reckless endangerment, and destruction of private property.)

Roy finds the oil, but before he can tell Gabby and Maude, they both donate the land as a prize in the upcoming wagon race. The race honors the Oklahoma Land Rush.

Gabby and Maude decide to enter wagons in the race to win back their oil rich land. That seems highly unethical, to compete for a prize you donated.

Roy winds up driving for Dale and Maude in his new hat.
10 new hat.jpg

MAN FROM OKLAHOMA had eight songs, plus square dancing and Roy yodeling. Even character actor, Sam Flint, as the mayor, sort of, sings in the big musical finale, complete with dancers and costumes.

11.jpg

12.jpg

What's in the missing 15 minutes? Three songs. Si Jenks plays another of Roy's uncles, but only has one scene where he talks. Was there more with him?

During the audition scene, Lofts' secretary, Elaine Lange, locks George Chandler in a broom closet. Did Roy let him out?
Still of missing scene? George Chandler with Roy.
14 missing George Chandler Roy unlocks him.jpg

Another missing scene, just after Roy picked up Trigger at the train station.
15 missing scene after Roy reunites with Trigger.jpg

Missing song scene, which comes after the scene, where Roy confronts Pryor, in Pryor's office.
16 missing song after R Pryor office scene.jpg

Although there is new footage, shot for the wagon race, much of it comes from, "War of the Wildcats" A.K.A. "In Old Oklahoma". Gabby and Dale were in that movie too. The character name of the bad guy in that movie was also Roger Pryor's name in MAN FROM OKLAHOMA.

Roy wears a different hat in the wagon race sequence, maybe to match reused footage from an earlier Rogers picture? Or even an Autry?

Be funny if the original race sequence with the different hat was edited out of a syndicated version of an earlier Rogers movie.

17.jpg

Roy and Trigger with comedienne, June Gittelson.
18.jpg

YouTube: MAN FROM OKLAHOMA.

"War of the Wildcats".

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
George Chandler was such an omnipresent fixture in these old films. I sometimes think guys like him and Irving Bacon must have lived on the studio grounds, shuffling from film to film each morning. One thing I didn't know until a few years back is that Chandler actually starred in a number of silent two-reel 'comedy-westerns' for Universal. Wonder about their survival rate. Probably about the same as cowboy stars Fred Gilman or Newton House, also doing Universal two-reelers around that time. Chandler eventually had a chance to break out of his decades-long character/bit-player status when he got a big, key role in the early-1960s sitcom "Ichabod and Me." Might have even graduated to becoming a household name, like Edgar Buchanan did. But the series quietly faded away, lasting only a year.

These chopped-up, 52-minute tv-syndication prints of Republic films (Roy Rogers and otherwise) continue to vex me. Although, in an academic way, I suppose I'm sometimes fascinated by how adeptly (or not) the snips were made. It's easy to lose a musical number and not notice it affecting the narrative. But like in films such as "The Covered Trailer" (1939), which I cited a while back, you have scenes in which earlier events are referenced which aren't present, and this can throw a bit of a monkey-wrench into things, making for frustrating viewings.

My most recent viewing of one of these edited Republic features was "Forgotten Girls" (1940), starring Louise Platt, of "Stagecoach" fame. Always thought this title was something of Republic's stab at the kind of mild, semi-exploitation films Columbia had dabbled in at the same time, like "Girls Under 21" (1940) and "Glamor for Sale" (1940). But maybe not. Anyway, the film print was missing a lot (15 minutes?), but amazingly didn't seem to disrupt the actual flow of the narrative with curious omissions. But it did leave me feeling that I'd missed out on some larger bits of characterization which would have made the film more solid and satisfying. The plotline involved Platt as a nice, hard-working young lady living with her sponging stepmother. The stepmom's odious fiance (Jack LaRue, always up for a slimeball role) drunkenly seems to have rape in mind when he accosts young Platt alone in the kitchen. Platt knocks him cold with a frying pan and flees, but her upset stepmom hears all this, steps in and gives him a permanent whack. Poor Platt gets accused and convicted of murder, shuffled off to a prison farm. Things get rather ridiculously far-fetched from there, involving gangsters and a breakout. So, it's not really a terribly good film, although it wasn't without some entertainment value. Sure wish I could see those missing 15 minutes, just so I could derive a better evaluation of the film.

(edit): You know, as a footnote, I went over to YouTube, and found that there's a 65-minute version of "Forgotten Girls" posted. The AFI book says it has a 68-minute running time. But whatever the case, this is certainly better than my 52-minute copy, although my copy is a lot sharper. So now, maybe I can see what I missed after all.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I watched Grit's broadcast, live, this morning, of TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD. I believe it to be the restored version shown in 2018, on TCM. It seemed uncut but I didn't time it.

I watched it on a 20-inch CRT TV, attached to an Ematic stand-alone tuner, recording the movie to USB. I also taped the movie, with a VCR attached to another stand-alone tuner. I thought the picture was great! Sharp, bright, blue blues. Same with my recordings, when played back on the CRT.

But when I played the USB and the VHS back on my LCD setup the colors were duller, the blues not as blue, the picture less sharp. Same with playing the USB copy on the computer. I understand LCDs lose their oomph as they age. My LCD is eleven years old, and my computer is six.

I'll blame my poor capture skills on the non-sharpness of the screen captures, below.

Vic Pardo/Brian's Post #240 screen grabs, from the 2018 TCM broadcast, on the right, have bluer blues, better color, and sharpness. As I said, TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD looked this great on my CRT.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

comp4.jpg

End Logo.
End logo.jpg

The print also has a Paramount Logo.
NewLogo.jpg

TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD will be shown on Grit again Dec 24th really Dec 25th 1 AM to 2:30 AM. and Christmas Day Dec. 25th at 8 AM to 9:30 AM.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks