Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Didn't recall Linda Hayes made three films with Rogers. Remembered only one, offhand. I don't know much about Hayes, other than she seemed to cap a long list of 1930s RKO starlets, like Margaret Callahan, Louise Latimer, and Whitney Bourne, who all came around for a short time, and whose careers disappeared very quickly. Many such leading-ladies are often quite appealing, but somehow might not have had the extra qualities to help them stand out. One quirkly little RKO contractee who was (very briefly) at RKO, the young dancer/comedienne Lorraine Kruger, always struck me as having a lot of potential, but her career never seemingly went anywhere. She should have at least found a little 'comical sidekick' niche like Dorothea Kent did.

VCI's next Universal serial on the docket to be released on blu is apparently "Riders of Death Valley" (1941), the highly hyped 'million dollar serial.' Despite its very star-studded western cast, I've always found this one... not necessarily bad, but rather doggedly routine. Still nice to finish off the Universal 'Buck Jones' serial filmography. I'll happily purchase it, as well as "Pirate Treasure" (1934), which I think VCI tentatively has planned after that.

I also noticed that author Martin Grams has a book coming out devoted to the Renfrew of the Royal Mounted character, covering its origins and its radio/film/book history. Sounds pretty interesting, and I'm certainly going to get it. Refrew's fame and pop-culture status sort of got short-circuited by circumstances, leaving Sgt. Preston to jump into that slot, supplanting him. Should be a nifty book. Grams has gone into a lot of research, like he has for the early days of the "Lone Ranger" radio series, where he unearthed a lot of fascinating tidbits.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You know, Jeff, I looked around to see if I could find pictures of Jennifer Connelly wearing a cowboy hat, but only found one online from a movie with Josh Brolin called "Only The Brave", about forest fire fighters. Which brings us back to our trying times.

c25b9257a0b8e22f5f800c35be8d3506.png

I couldn't find many pictures of her in hats at all.

tumblr_nw21mmYC4i1tp2pkxo1_1280.jpg

Bringing things back to westerns, Josh Brolin was in the pony express series "The Young Riders" and was in that based on the comic book "Jonah Hex", movie, which I meant to take a look at some time.

95407896_1300x1733.jpg

Just like Roy and Dale, Jennifer Connelly likes plaid.
Jennifer+Connelly+Tops+Crewneck+Sweater+_K5Q3ISLcE1x.jpg

07_1949 Golden Stallion, The.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Searching for Jennifer Connelly cowboy hat pictures brought up a bunch of other Jennifers. But the one I thought I'd highlight is Jennifer Holt. She was in many B westerns and was a Princess of the Western, since she was the daughter of Jack Holt and the sister of Tim Holt. She liked plaid too.

1yAYDVfzi5UI4EFPKewiVoj2ZLZ.jpg

Jennifer Holt.jpg

keuq2wuru7a0quw0.jpg

Jennifer Holt (1).jpg

Tim! That's no way to treat your sister!
740full-jennifer-holt jack and tim holt.jpg

Jack Holt.
Holt, Jack_01.jpg

Tim Holt.
1fc1da41050c4088f4eb2711d1e1b43c.jpg

Tim Holt: Ghost Rider comic cover, with, I think, Frank Franzetta art.
33ffb451c34fab9d9a7f93d9c2b3ca32.jpg

the-arizona-ranger-top-l-r-tim-holt-jack-holt-bottom-nan-leslie-on-E5M999.jpg

Jack Holt starred with Roy in, MY PAL TRIGGER and TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD.

For fun, some stills from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", with Tim Holt and Jack Holt.

walter-huston-tim-holt-john-huston-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-f4pdg4.jpg

518fac8107405c350118e292393d3461.jpg

4a979cd2d246889c5fc7cf1730fcdf23.jpg

tim-holt-humphrey-bogart-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948-directed-f4pdg5.jpg

testing.jpg

I kind of, not only, consider "Treasure" a western, but also a Tim Holt western, too. Since Holt still has his humanity at the end.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Bert, you mention four actresses I "never heard of", but turns out I have them all in the collection.

Margaret Callahan with only 6 IMDB credits. I have seen her in the Gene Raymond version of "Seven Keys To Baldpate". WAC has a triple feature out on that title.

margaret-callahan-photo_95422_33305.jpg

mc 1.jpg

Lucille Ball, Margaret Callahan, Joy Hodges, Ann Shirley, Phyllis Brooks (Roy's co-star in SILVER SPURS), Milly Lamont.
MC.jpg

Louise Latimer, 12 credits at IMDB, I have seen in two of the Hildegarde Withers mysteries on the WAC set.
Latimer_Louise_12345_large.jpg

louise latimer.jpg

1000402733_2028x2048@2x.jpg

Whitney Bourne, 10 IMDB credits, I have only seen her in "The Mad Miss Manton" playing one of Barbara Stanwyck's society gal pals.
WB.jpg

bourne.jpg

Lorraine Kruger, with 45 IMDB credits, is the 'old pro'. I think I have seen at least 4 of her movies.
lorraine-kureger-2.jpg

lorraine-kureger-4.jpg

Lorraine Kruger is in "Dance Girl Dance"-1940, out on Disc from Criterion. There's an Evalyn Knapp movie with the same title with a different plot.

"Dance Girl, Dance" clip. Lorraine Kruger is the short blond on the right. Our favorite Hal Roach starlet, Marjorie Woodworth, is on Lucille Ball's right.

Dorothea Kent was with Roy in KING OF THE COWBOYS.
Dorothea Kent cr.jpg

And Dorothea Kent was also the female lead in the Renfrew movie, "Danger Ahead".

s-l1000.jpg

lc_danger_ahead_a_num4_CS03733_B.jpg

Bert, that Renfrew book seems like a must have. I didn't realize there was a radio show. It will be interesting to see the time line of Renfrew and Preston. And I have got to pick up the other Buck Jones serials, too.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeLo