Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Didn't recall Linda Hayes made three films with Rogers. Remembered only one, offhand. I don't know much about Hayes, other than she seemed to cap a long list of 1930s RKO starlets, like Margaret Callahan, Louise Latimer, and Whitney Bourne, who all came around for a short time, and whose careers disappeared very quickly. Many such leading-ladies are often quite appealing, but somehow might not have had the extra qualities to help them stand out. One quirkly little RKO contractee who was (very briefly) at RKO, the young dancer/comedienne Lorraine Kruger, always struck me as having a lot of potential, but her career never seemingly went anywhere. She should have at least found a little 'comical sidekick' niche like Dorothea Kent did.

VCI's next Universal serial on the docket to be released on blu is apparently "Riders of Death Valley" (1941), the highly hyped 'million dollar serial.' Despite its very star-studded western cast, I've always found this one... not necessarily bad, but rather doggedly routine. Still nice to finish off the Universal 'Buck Jones' serial filmography. I'll happily purchase it, as well as "Pirate Treasure" (1934), which I think VCI tentatively has planned after that.

I also noticed that author Martin Grams has a book coming out devoted to the Renfrew of the Royal Mounted character, covering its origins and its radio/film/book history. Sounds pretty interesting, and I'm certainly going to get it. Refrew's fame and pop-culture status sort of got short-circuited by circumstances, leaving Sgt. Preston to jump into that slot, supplanting him. Should be a nifty book. Grams has gone into a lot of research, like he has for the early days of the "Lone Ranger" radio series, where he unearthed a lot of fascinating tidbits.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
You know, Jeff, I looked around to see if I could find pictures of Jennifer Connelly wearing a cowboy hat, but only found one online from a movie with Josh Brolin called "Only The Brave", about forest fire fighters. Which brings us back to our trying times.

c25b9257a0b8e22f5f800c35be8d3506.png

I couldn't find many pictures of her in hats at all.

tumblr_nw21mmYC4i1tp2pkxo1_1280.jpg

Bringing things back to westerns, Josh Brolin was in the pony express series "The Young Riders" and was in that based on the comic book "Jonah Hex", movie, which I meant to take a look at some time.

95407896_1300x1733.jpg

Just like Roy and Dale, Jennifer Connelly likes plaid.
Jennifer+Connelly+Tops+Crewneck+Sweater+_K5Q3ISLcE1x.jpg

07_1949 Golden Stallion, The.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Searching for Jennifer Connelly cowboy hat pictures brought up a bunch of other Jennifers. But the one I thought I'd highlight is Jennifer Holt. She was in many B westerns and was a Princess of the Western, since she was the daughter of Jack Holt and the sister of Tim Holt. She liked plaid too.

1yAYDVfzi5UI4EFPKewiVoj2ZLZ.jpg

Jennifer Holt.jpg

keuq2wuru7a0quw0.jpg

Jennifer Holt (1).jpg

Tim! That's no way to treat your sister!
740full-jennifer-holt jack and tim holt.jpg

Jack Holt.
Holt, Jack_01.jpg

Tim Holt.
1fc1da41050c4088f4eb2711d1e1b43c.jpg

Tim Holt: Ghost Rider comic cover, with, I think, Frank Franzetta art.
33ffb451c34fab9d9a7f93d9c2b3ca32.jpg

the-arizona-ranger-top-l-r-tim-holt-jack-holt-bottom-nan-leslie-on-E5M999.jpg

Jack Holt starred with Roy in, MY PAL TRIGGER and TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD.

For fun, some stills from "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", with Tim Holt and Jack Holt.

walter-huston-tim-holt-john-huston-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-f4pdg4.jpg

518fac8107405c350118e292393d3461.jpg

4a979cd2d246889c5fc7cf1730fcdf23.jpg

tim-holt-humphrey-bogart-the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre-1948-directed-f4pdg5.jpg

testing.jpg

I kind of, not only, consider "Treasure" a western, but also a Tim Holt western, too. Since Holt still has his humanity at the end.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Bert, you mention four actresses I "never heard of", but turns out I have them all in the collection.

Margaret Callahan with only 6 IMDB credits. I have seen her in the Gene Raymond version of "Seven Keys To Baldpate". WAC has a triple feature out on that title.

margaret-callahan-photo_95422_33305.jpg

mc 1.jpg

Lucille Ball, Margaret Callahan, Joy Hodges, Ann Shirley, Phyllis Brooks (Roy's co-star in SILVER SPURS), Milly Lamont.
MC.jpg

Louise Latimer, 12 credits at IMDB, I have seen in two of the Hildegarde Withers mysteries on the WAC set.
Latimer_Louise_12345_large.jpg

louise latimer.jpg

1000402733_2028x2048@2x.jpg

Whitney Bourne, 10 IMDB credits, I have only seen her in "The Mad Miss Manton" playing one of Barbara Stanwyck's society gal pals.
WB.jpg

bourne.jpg

Lorraine Kruger, with 45 IMDB credits, is the 'old pro'. I think I have seen at least 4 of her movies.
lorraine-kureger-2.jpg

lorraine-kureger-4.jpg

Lorraine Kruger is in "Dance Girl Dance"-1940, out on Disc from Criterion. There's an Evalyn Knapp movie with the same title with a different plot.

"Dance Girl, Dance" clip. Lorraine Kruger is the short blond on the right. Our favorite Hal Roach starlet, Marjorie Woodworth, is on Lucille Ball's right.

Dorothea Kent was with Roy in KING OF THE COWBOYS.
Dorothea Kent cr.jpg

And Dorothea Kent was also the female lead in the Renfrew movie, "Danger Ahead".

s-l1000.jpg

lc_danger_ahead_a_num4_CS03733_B.jpg

Bert, that Renfrew book seems like a must have. I didn't realize there was a radio show. It will be interesting to see the time line of Renfrew and Preston. And I have got to pick up the other Buck Jones serials, too.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
IN OLD CHEYENNE-1941, B&W 58 minutes.
1 In old cheyenne_41.jpg

Another not available in the full version. I have IN OLD CHEYENNE, in the 53 minute syndicated versions, on the Roan DVD double feature with HELDORADO-1946 and on the Alpha DVD double feature with SOUTH OF SANTA FE. The Roan looks sharper.

IN OLD CHEYENNE is an old west adventure and Roy plays a character called Steve Blane, a reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. He goes to Cheyenne to write about an old owl-hoot, played by Gabby, who seems to be making trouble.
PDVD_007.JPG

Actually, Gabby is retired. Local rich guy, George Rosener is behind the trouble. Rustling, robbing, and pushing settlers off their land.
PDVD_001.JPG

Head henchman William Haade with his boss, George Rosener.
PDVD_003.JPG

The bad guys, Jack Kirk, William Haade, and Hal Taliaferro.
Jack Kirk William Haade Hal Taliaferro.jpg

Roy or Steve's romantic interest is Joan Woodbury, playing a famous Spanish dancer. (She even appears on cigarette cards!)
s-l1600 (1).jpg

She was raised in Spain, but was born in the U.S.A. Joan is visiting her father, J. Farrell MacDonald, who publishes the local Cheyenne newspaper. I've always found J. Farrell MacDonald to be a likeable actor in numerous movies.
PDVD_002.JPG

Roy/Steve wants to work with MacDonald on the story.
comb.jpg

Sally Payne is Gabby's daughter and she's interested in Roy/Steve.
PDVD_000.JPG

Screenshot 2020-09-25 122620.jpg

As an aside it's mentioned that Cheyenne is the first city, "in the country", to get electricity? That can't be true.
In this case, I think, "in the country" means "around here", not in the whole U.S.A. Joan's character up in lights.
Screenshot 2020-09-26 095154.jpg

Look out Gabby!!!
12_1941 In Old Cheyenne LC (Gabby) F.jpg

So what's in the missing three minutes? Hard to say. Joan Woodbury performs a dance number and Roy/Steve sings along. During a later party scene Roy/Steve calls a square dance. (That's something young Roy was noted for.)

Roy/Steve arrives in town without Trigger, but he is riding Trigger later and Trigger responds to his commands. So maybe there is a missing scene with Roy/Steve meeting up with Trigger and explaining that Trigger is his trained horse?? Maybe a missing song? Anyway, the story doesn't seem to be missing anything.

s-l1000 (1).jpg

PDVD_004.JPG

Edited version, on YouTube.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Joan Woodbury also played a Spanish or Latin dancer in THE EAGLE'S BROOD-1935, the second Hopalong Cassidy movie. (Gabby was in THE EAGLE'S BROOD also, but it was before he was 'Gabby' and even before he was 'Windy' in the Hoppy series.

Joan Woodbury was billed as 'Nana Martinez' in THE EAGLE'S BROOD.

2 Eagle's Brood, The.jpg

4  Eagles  Bood.jpg

1.jpg

3  theeaglesbrood as nana martinez.jpg

Some Joan Woodbury glamour.
5.jpeg

6.jpg

7.jpeg

8.jpg

9.jpeg

10.jpg

Joan Woodbury is remembered by movie serial buffs as starring in, BRENDA STARR, REPORTER-1945.

11.jpg

Joan with, costar, Kane Richmond. Note, for the posters they added cleavage to Joan's modest outfit.
12.jpg

13.jpg

Joan Woodbury was another actress that was a first billed lead or second billed co-star in B-features.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

She even co-starred with Parkyakarkus!!!
19.jpg

Back at Republic she appeared with Roy again as a bad girl in SUNSET SERENADE-1942 (see Post #203 page 11) and with Douglas Fowley, below. She also appeared with Fowley in "CHARLIE CHAN ON BROADWAY-1937. (Sometimes I think Douglas Fowley was in every B-movie made, in the 30s,40s and 50s.)
18.jpg

Joan Woodbury was married to, C.B. DeMille favorite, Henry Wilcoxon.
20.jpg

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Good excuse for me to give my Roan dvd of "In Old Cheyenne" (1941) a new spin. It's indeed hard to tell where the cuts are in this one. Luckily, these earlier Rogers films had those shorter running-times, so the edits aren't quite as brutal as in the mid-1940s entries. Missing songs are usually the culprit, of course. But there's also a scene here in which Roy, after talking with publisher J. Farrell MacDonald in his office, says he's going into the back to see Woodbury, but we get no follow-up scene. Might be something snipped there. Great shots of Woodbury. She attended at least one of those western film fairs back in the day (not long before she passed away), but it was before I began going to them. For the longest time, serial buffs were looking for "Brenda Starr, Reporter" (1945), it was one of the last MIA titles from the 1940s, in terms of the collector circuit, before VCI made it available. Anyway, "In Old Cheyenne" is a pretty nice, if unexceptional, outing, which is boosted by some offbeat touches, like Gabby's animal 'menagerie,' and little bits involving things like electric signs and cigarette cards. Good touches you probably just wouldn't see in a concurrent Don 'Red' Barry western at Republic.

I've picked up a few movie-star oriented cigarette cards years ago, as they'd sometimes appear at postcard shows or antique shops. Most I've encountered have been of British origin. The sets will usually be a mixture of top American stars, mixed in with folks like Nova Pilbeam, Gordon Harker, and Rene Ray. The very small size of cigarette cards always made them a somewhat unsatisfying collectible from my perspective, especially compared to arcade-cards (which are postcard sized). Plus, the latter really specialized in cowboy stars, adding to their appeal for me.

It surprised me to see Joy Hodges upthread in that lineup of RKO starlets. Never knew she was at RKO, and always associated her almost exclusively with Universal. I think she had at least one stab at an "A" film as leading lady, "Merry-Go-Round of 1938." But I don't think the film was a hit, and it probably kept her down in the B basement, with films like "The Family Next Door" (1939), which is the film I remember most of hers. It might have been a similar situation with the aforementioned Lorraine Krueger, who got her initial RKO spotlight in the studio's notorious "New Faces of 1937," which turned out to be a massive flop, and likely scuttled her career before it even started (although the studio did shunt her off, teaming her again with Joe Penner, in one of his minor B's that same year).

These two films actually bring up that brief spell of movies which incorporated release-years into their titles. I always figured Paramount's "Big Broadcast" films (1936, 1937, 1938) got the ball rolling. It probably did, although WB had that "Fashions of 1934" movie a few years earlier. There was also that Technicolor extravaganza "Vogues of 1938" (1937), from Walter Wanger (and United Artists). A fluff of a movie, but I'd bet it would look stunning on blu-ray. Not sure if it was a money-loser, but whatever the case, the studios quickly started shying away from such titles. "New Faces" was probably most to blame, I'm sure. However, good ole Republic didn't follow suit, as they had their Hit Parade series of features. The first, "The Hit Parade" (1937), didn't utilize the year in its title, but all the later follow-ups (1941, 1943, 1947, 1951) did. A lot of these films got retitled for television later on, not surprisingly. I might be forgetting a few. I know there was also the British "Radio Parade of 1935," which featured a late role for Dracula's girlfriend, Helen Chandler. I'd never even heard of this film until recent years, nor have I seen it.

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Re-reading my above discussion, I see that I left out mention of MGM's "Broadway Melody" series as a factor, which is something I'd intended to add. I thought the "Big Broadcast" sequels were the first, but checking just now on imdb, it appears that both "Broadway Melody of 1936" (1935-MGM) and "The Big Broadcast of 1936" (1935-Par) were actually released on the very same day... September 20, 1935. So, I guess they both contributed fairly equally to that trend in titles.

Although preceding this, Fox did have those releases of "George White's Scandals" (1934) and its follow-up, "George White's 1935 Scandals" (1935) laying the groundwork. I still never have seen the former, which I believe was Alice Faye's first film. The Fox Archive put out the second one, which features Ned Sparks quite prominently, as I recall. Plus, you get to hear the actual lyrics to "Hunkadola," which for years I only knew via the Benny Goodman instrumental recording for Victor.

RBailey

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hall
Wanted to post here that Roy Rogers' BELLS OF CORONADO (1950, William Witney) is now available to rent or purchase on Amazon Prime or iTunes. It looks gorgeous and sure beats the old DVD. Also, for Republic serial fans, the 1966 feature version of THE CRIMSON GHOST is available under the title of CYCLOTRODE X. This is fun to see one of Clayton Moore's rare turns as a bad guy. I have not purchased it yet but plan to.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
NEVADA CITY-1941, B&W, 58 minutes.
1.jpg

Another, only around in the syndicated 53 minute version. I have the darkish Alpha DVD, on a double feature with SUNSET ON THE DESERT-1942, (see Post #485, page 25.) The Alpha NEVADA CITY print has a Republic Eagle logo at the front, which is wrong for the original release period and a generic "The End". No end Republic Logo or end credits.

Roy plays a character named, 'Jeff'. He's a driver for a stage line owned by George Cleveland, Sally Payne, and, her kid brother, Billy Lee. Gabby is Roy's shot-gun guard.

Roy, Billy Lee, Sally Payne, Gabby.jpg

Roy and George Cleveland.
2.JPG

The stage line is being attacked by Fred Kohler, Jr., known as 'Black Bart', who leaves poems at the scenes of his crimes.

Fred Kohler, Jr.
Black Bart.JPG

Cleveland thinks 'Black Bart' is working for, railroad builder, Joseph Crehan, to drive the stage line out of business.

Joseph Crehan.
PDVD_009.JPG

Actually, Kohler is attacking the stage line and the railroad for Pierre Watkin, who wants to take over both companies.

Kohler and Watkin.
PDVD_004.JPG

Outlaw, Black Bart, complete with poems, was a real Old West stagecoach robber. We know this because he was arrested by both, Jim Hardie, Special Investigator for Wells Fargo and Matt Clark, Railroad Detective.

Roy has a nice conversation with Joseph Crehan about stages and railroads, and uses the term 'on the level'. This refers to a stretch of the road, railway or highway, that is level or smooth riding, no worries about upgrades or downgrades.

Sally Payne, who made nine movies with Roy, is Roy's romantic interest. This is a change from her usual comic relief girlfriend of the female lead. She's still funny here, too.

Sally Payne.
PDVD_020.JPG

use this one maybe.jpg

Sally, Roy.jpg

Kohler starts to court Sally, as a way to infiltrate the stage line and use Cleveland to attack the railroad.
Fred, Sally.jpg

When Roy finds out that Kohler is writing Sally poetry, Roy realizes Kohler may be 'Black Bart'.

In an unusual scene, Kohler is playing piano for Sally, and Roy sings along, sort of at Kohler, using phrases from one of 'Black Bart's' crime scene poems!!
5728-2 singing.jpg

Songs bring us to the missing five minutes. IMDB lists two songs for NEVADA CITY. The above song, 'Stars Over The Prairie' and 'Prairie Serenade', which is missing.

A good spot for a song is where we see Roy, Gabby, and Billy Lee, riding on the stage, right before an exciting scene where they race Crehan's locomotive to a crossing.
comb 2.jpg

Of course this is another Roy Rogers crime spree. Reckless endangerment, risking a catastrophe, and endangering a minor.

Note in the above montage, Billy Lee trips and falls while Gabby is ranting at Crehan and Roy picks up Billy without missing a beat. Actors always keep going. Only the director can yell, "Cut!".

Back to repeat offender Roy. Later Roy and Gabby are arrested for interfering with law officers and for being in cahoots with 'Black Bart'. And, of course, they break jail!

With Sid Saylor in jail.
comb.jpg

Pierre Watkin brought to justice.
PDVD_026.JPG

There's more train action in the finale with Roy's double jumping from stunt Trigger to the moving train and running across the tops of the rail cars. Real Roy may be in there too.

At obscuretrainmovies.wordpress.com, I found information that the train, in this movie, was built in 1893 and was owned by Paramount Studios and rented to Republic for NEVADA CITY. In 2018, the train is still on display at a train museum in Carson City, Nevada.

nv1 2.jpg

2018 Nevada State RR Museum Carson City Nevada.jpg

nevada-city-nicer color.jpg

Roy and Trigger with a different train.
18 Train engine not in this movie.jpg

Nevada City- cut YouTube. Wrong Republic logo, Hollywood Television Logo at end, but has end credits.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Mentioned above that 'Black Bart' tangled with Matt Clark, Railroad Detective. Matt Clark was the character played by Jim Davis in Republic Studios Emmy winning 39 episode series, 1954-55, STORIES OF THE CENTURY.

Jim Davis.
01_Jim Davis.jpg

Jim had two partners. Mary Castle .
1954 Hollywood California Actors Jim Davis & Mary Castle at Ciros Wire Photo.jpg

unnamed.jpg

And Kristine Miller.
s-l1600 (1).jpg

storieskristinef11288.jpg

Being a Republic production STORIES OF THE CENTURY used stock footage from other Republic westerns, including those of Roy Rogers. In fact the smoke stack train scene from NEVADA CITY is often shown as part of the of the opening montage of STORIES OF THE CENTURY.

comb .jpg

Here's a picture of Roy and Adele Mara, at a ground-breaking for Pioneer Town. A western movie town started by western bad-guy actor Dick Curtis, (he's behind Roy.), with investors like Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.
Also in the picture is actor David Bruce with the woman holding the black hat. And is that George Tobias, next to Roy? Were they investors or making a movie nearby? The open shirt man on the left looks like Neville Brand.
new.jpg

Last edited:

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
Not RR but the only western star I ever met was John Calvert. We had lunch. But I met him as a magician. Just thought I add something today.

Fascinating guy. Not only was he a stage magician traveling in a large yacht in the islands doing shows with a bunch of women but he was also a pilot - race card driver - and movie star is both westerns and he was the last Falcon.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I don't think I have seen the John Calvert Falcons. I was able to find one of them on YouTube.

I am in the mood to watch the WAC Falcon sets and other classic movie series detectives. Just yesterday, my year 2000 VHS of "Bulldog Drummond"-1929 , with Ronald Colman, caught my eye and I watched it. Now I'll have to dig out my DVD-R boot of the second Colman Drummond along with the John Howard Drummonds I have on Alpha and Mill Creek. They are harder to get to, so I next watched the WAC double feature of Colman's Raffles and the remake with David Niven. I have to check, did WAC release the two Colman Drummonds?

John Calvert's bio. Levitating his lovely assistant, and wife, Tammy.
A1Ft7YfPpCL.jpg

I see John Calvert's first movie was, "Bombardier"-1943. "Bombardier" was the first appearance of the 'Chito Rafferty' character, created by Richard Martin. "Chito Rafferty" started showing up in RKO westerns, with Robert Mitchum, Richard Warren, and Tim Holt. "Chito" is my favorite side-kick after Gabby Hayes, but I don't have a list.

Richard Martin and Margie Stewart, in "Bombardier".
Margie-Stewart-with-Richard-Martin-on-the-set-of-Bombardier-1943_signed.jpg

There seems to have been more magic around, in the past. Remember the Saturday morning show with Mark Wilson, who also had a lovely wife and assistant, Nani Darnell.

Note the 'K' in Alla-K-Azam matches the Kellog's 'K'. Below Mark, Nani, and their son, Mike Wilson.
MarkNaniMikeFloatingKellogsCereal 2.jpg

I see The Amazing Randi died this week. Randi was all over TV talk shows in the early 1970s. Randi was known as a debunker of psychics, like Uri Geller, who was also all over TV, bending spoons, with the power of his mind.

The Amazing Randi.
Tribeca+Film+Festival+2014+Portrait+Studio+LAG8G6Wev40x.jpg

I remember reading Randi's books and those of, magician, Walter Gibson, who had a series of true crime stories books. "The Fine Art of Swindling", "The Fine Art of Murder". etc.

Gibson, as Maxwell Grant, wrote most of the 325 or so original Shadow stories, that appeared in "The Shadow" pulp magazine. In the pulp stories The Shadow often used magic tricks to overcome the weed of crime.

The Shadow.
Steranko History of Comics.jpg

Smiley Burnette, as 'Frog Millhouse, had the power to cloud men's minds in the Roy Rogers movie, KING OF THE COWBOYS-1943.
Screenshot 2020-10-22 084442.jpg

Last edited:

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
I don't think I have seen the John Calvert Falcons. I was able to find one of them on YouTube.

Smiley Burnette, as 'Frog Millhouse, had the power to cloud men's minds in the Roy Rogers movie, KING OF THE COWBOYS-1943.
View attachment 80629
I will warn you. I really thought a lot of John but his Falcon movies stink pretty bad. They were all made in about a day each. The first one has been described as having the worst score of any movie.

Lot's of magicians in movies and TV. Milton Berle was a great card guy. Cary Grant - Orson Wells - Chester Morris - Johnny Carson - Harry Anderson - Tony Curtis are just some of the names that jump to mind. There are more.

And to keep the thread on topic
Max Terhune

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I checked, so, 'Skully' became 'Elmer'. 'Elmer', of course, is more western.
1 Max Terhune Elmer.jpg

Next up, I'll be talking about HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST-1942, But first some observations about posters, flipping or flopping pictures, and cowboy hats.

In the fine print, you can see this is a re-release poster. The visual dead give-a-way is Roy's hat. He is wearing the hat style that he wore from 1947 onward. Sometimes, post 1947 posters, for Roy's new movies, will use pictures of Roy in older hats, from earlier movies.
2 rerelease poster note post 1947 hat.jpg

In the next two posters Roy's Image is flipped, horizontally. (Everyone is still pulling Gabby's beard.)
3 flip.jpg

Flipping pictures of people wearing cowboy hats always make the perspective of the hats look off to me.

Alpha flips pictures, often, especially on their multi-volume TV series releases, and some of the Roy Rogers movie releases.
(It's funny that the Alpha releases of two of Roy's movies with Ruth Terry used the same photo of Roy.)
rr.jpg

Spot 'flipped' Roy by noticing where his kerchief knot is tied. The knot is under Roy's left ear, in a right reading picture. In a mirror image or flipped picture the knot is under his right ear. So Roy on rearing Trigger in the first poster, above, is flipped. How a shirt overlaps over the front buttons is a good clue.

You don't expect hat tricks with the big studio releases, but they do it too. Here they put a hat on a hatless picture of Richard Long. Then they almost left Long off the cover of the next release. They gave us two Lee Majors. The one on the right is a flipped image. When they caught the mistake and put Long back on the cover they kept the flipped image of Majors.
BV.jpg

Here's flipped Rowdy and Rowdy with his regular hat glued to his head, on top of the derby he wore in that episode.
RH.jpg

c85a9f675e948587b6dd313751de7542.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
On second thought, I now think that first poster above, in Post #515, with Roy rearing up on Trigger is a right reading photo and not a flipped picture. Roy's kerchief just worked it's way over, because of the action. Plus Roy's lariat is usually hanging on the right side of Trigger's saddle horn. On third thought, Roy ties his kerchief under his right ear in his earlier movies and sometimes the knot even falls to the center.

HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST-1942, 65 minutes, B&W.
1.jpg

This is another Roy Rogers movie lost in the full length. I have the Alpha Double Feature which pairs HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST with, COME ON RANGERS!-1938. The Alpha is a 56:16 minute version, syndicated print with a proper THE END, and end credits, but no Republic logos. A review at IMDB says that HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST, originally, was 68 minutes but cut during the original release to 65 minutes. But all reference says it was 65 minutes. Later it was cut for TV to 53 minutes. Why is the Alpha 56 minutes? Roy's voice sounds deeper in spots, maybe the film runs slow somehow?

The main point of interest in HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST for the Roy Rogers Collector is, Gabby Hayes and Smiley Burnette appear together in the movie as almost a comedy team. Pat Brady and Bob Nolan have more to do too. For some reason Roy calls Pat Brady, "Pat", but calls Bob Nolan, "Nolan". Sounds kind of unfriendly.
Hearts.jpg

The billing is "Roy Rogers and Smiley Burnette with George 'Gabby' Hayes". Pre-Gabby, George Hayes was with Smiley and Gene Autry in their first movie, "In Old Santa Fe" -1934 , a Ken Maynard picture. Gabby plays a Gabby prototype called 'Cactus', with beard, bragging, and turned up hat brim, to boot. Some prints of "In Old Santa Fe" have a Gene Autry title card before the title and Ken Maynard's credit. Sorry, Ken.

Gabby appeared with Gene and Smiley , as his usual "Gabby Whittaker" character, in, "In Old Monterey"-1939. Gabby's part was kind of serious. It was a story of preparing to get the home front ready to prevent the war in Europe from coming to the U.S., by being strong and having a well trained military.

Gabby was with Gene in "Melody Ranch"-1940, as a non-Gabby character. No Smiley, but Jimmy Durante and Vera Vague handled the comedy, and Ann Miller danced, and Mary Lee sang.

HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST was the first of three Roy Rogers pictures with Ruth Terry as the romantic interest.
(See Post #218, page 11, for the third, HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER-1944. The second was MAN FROM MUSIC MOUNTAIN-1943 which changed it's title to TEXAS LEGIONAIRES, at some point, to avoid confusion with Gene Autry's "Man From Music Mountain"-1938.
Heart of the Golden West 1129-68.jpg

Ruth Terry in unidentified musical.
random ruth what movie.jpg

02c.jpg

The plot: Roy and Smiley with Gabby, and The Sons of the Pioneers work for cattle rancher, Paul Harvey.
Hearts Paul Harvey Pioneers.jpg

The bad guys, Edmund MacDonald, William Haade, and Hal Taliaferro, run the only local trucking firm. They keep raising the cattle shipping rates and also use strong arm tactics on all the ranchers.

Edmund MacDonald and William Haade.
Edmund MacDonald  William Haade.jpg

Roy bopping Edmund. Right, Hal Taliaferro looks on.
Heart   Roy bops Edmund Hal T looks on.jpg

Roy gets the idea to bypass the trucking firm by hiring a river boat, owned by Ruth Terry's father, Walter Catlett, to ship the cattle. Catlett plays a Southern Colonel type complete with white suit and loyal butler, Leigh Whipper.

Walter Catlett and Leigh Whipper.
Walter Catlett and Leigh Whipper.jpg

The truckers commit arson, rustling. and kidnapping to stop the river boat from shipping the cattle.

Roy sings along with the crew of the river boat played by the Hall Johnson Choir.
Hall Johnson Choir.jpg

Heart2.jpg

Re-release ad that lists all the songs. Some songs were probably shortened or cut in the syndicated print.
lists music.jpg

Ruth Terry and Smiley with the local gals. Atmosphere players or a missing musical number?
Heart  Ruth and Smiley.jpg

The Pioneer number "Cowboys and Indians" seems short.
JF (2).jpg

Heart (1).jpg

Even with the cuts there is still a good bit of music in this. Gabby and Smiley fall all over each other a lot. There is a nice special effecst shot of the outlaws hidden hide-out cave behind a water fall.

Heart.jpg

There's fighting ,riding, and shooting, in the finale. Maybe a little too much shooting, as Roy earns another reckless endangerment charge, as he shoots at the bad guys as they run away with Ruth Terry, in the line of fire, in a, nicely filmed, drenching downpour.

Heart tinted lobby cards.jpg

Heart of the Golden West End Pic.jpg

04 bh.jpg

20.jpg

Nicer looking YouTube of the 53 minute version with the wrong period Republic eagle logo.

Another YouTube but 56 minutes. Notice any longer scenes?

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
COME ON.RANGERS!-1938, B&W, 57 minutes.
Come_On,_Rangers_FilmPoster.jpeg Big.jpeg

COME ON, RANGERS!, is on the Alpha double-feature with HEART OF THE GOLDEN WEST. It's the 53 minute syndicated print with no Republic logos and a generic THE END card.

Roy is co-billed with Mary Hart, (Lynne Roberts), in her second movie in the Rogers series. Republic's Rogers and Hart. "The Sweethearts of the West".
PDVD_000.JPG

This is Raymond Hatton first appearance, of four, as Roy's side-kick. In his fourth Rogers movie Hatton co-side-kicks with Gabby, in WALL STREET COWBOY-1939.

Mary Hart, Raymond Hatton, Roy.
1938 Come On, Rangers.jpg

It's 1845, and Texas has joined the Union. Roy, Raymond, and Roy's brother Lane Chandler are Texas Rangers. Lane is riding Trigger.
PDVD_001.JPG

The Texas Governor decides to disband the Rangers , due to lack of money. And since the U.S. Cavalry is now in Texas, the Rangers are an added drain on the budget.

Some of the disbanded Rangers- George Montgomery, Lane Chandler, and Lee Powell.
PDVD_004.JPG

Montgomery, Chandler, and Powell, along with Herman Brix and Hal Taliaferro were the five Lone Ranger 'suspects' in the 1938 Republic serial "The Lone Ranger".
George Montgomery, Lee Powell, Herman Brix, Hal Taliaferro. Lane Chandler.jpg

Mary Hart was in the Lone Ranger serial, too, as Lynne Roberts. Chief Thunder Cloud was 'Tonto', in both of Republic's Lone Ranger serials.
12_1938 Lone Ranger (Five Rangers).jpg

Back to COME ON, RANGERS!. The evil, Russell Pratt thinks a State Patrol is needed and proposes it be paid for by the citizens directly. With Pratt and Harry Woods leading the State Patrol , not only is it a protection racket, but it's also behind the raiding outlaw band that is stirring up the state.

Purnell Pratt.
PDVD_014.JPG

Harry Woods.
PDVD_015.JPG

The Raiders ride white horses.
cor10.jpg

The C.O. of the Calvary is J. Farrell MacDonald. He's with Lt. Bruce MacFarlane.
PDVD_018.JPG

Roy joins the Cavalry to be near Mary Hart, who is MacDonald's daughter.
cor4.jpg

When the raiders kill Chandler and his wife, and burn their ranch, Roy vows to get them. Roy wants to be released
from the Cavalry, but MacDonald refuses. When Roy is insubordinate, Roy ends up in the guard house.

You know where this is going. Another Roy Rogers crime spree. Roy breaks out of the guard house, by setting a fire in his cell, to lure the guard in. Then Roy runs out and locks the guard in the burning cell!!!

So that's insubordination, desertion, arson, jail break, assault, and attempted murder. (That's assuming the guard got out.) And Roy's not even out of the fort yet!! Later he shoots his gun off during a meeting in a crowded Town Hall. Can no one stop him??

Roy's rival for Mary, MacFarlane gives chase, but Roy gets across the border. MacFarlane's character is kind of interesting. He seems like he's a martinet, but basically he lets Roy do whatever Roy wants. MacFarlane even stops another soldier from shooting Roy, "No shooting across the border".

Roy gets the old Rangers together and goes after the raiders.
cor6.jpg

As usual, after capturing the bad guys,, Roy gets a slap on his wrist from the Cavalry and is discharged and taken back into the reorganized Texas Rangers.

cor3.jpg

Raymond Hatton is great playing the 'Old Pard' character who knows his stuff. Hatton co-starred with Buck Jones and Tim McCoy in a western series known as "The Rough Riders". He took his character 'Sandy Hopkins' into a new series with Johnny Mack Brown. Hatton also served with Republic's Three Mesquiteers series, first with John Wayne and 'Crash' Corrigan and later with Robert Livingston and Duncan Renaldo. Hatton pictured below with a paint called 'Lucky Tex' and a mule called 'Dinah'. "Hi-Yo, Dinah!!"
COMP.jpg

Raymond Hatton was also in all six of the B-western series with, Hoppy side-kicks 'Shamrock' Ellison and 'Lucky' Hayden. The series was infamous for being made quickly in a couple of weeks, with the same cast. No very good but strangely interesting. VCI released the series on DVD as "The Big Iron Collection".
089859060427.jpg

What is in the missing four minutes, of COME ON, RANGERS? There are four songs in the cut edition, so no music seem to be missing. But we don't see Roy, and guitar, with Mary, as shown in the lobby card, but maybe that's just a publicity still. We don't see Roy's brother refuse to pay the State Patrol. We see Roy confined to barracks with the other soldiers, but we don't see what actually happened that put him in the locked guard house alone.

61tOnfTqDiL._SL1000_.jpg

PDVD_025.JPG

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Ah, yes. Harry Woods. I think I really have to crown him my favorite b-western villain, although I still sometimes vacillate between him and Roy Barcroft and Fred Kohler. They were certainly the "big three," with each dominating their own little eras as top baddie. Kohler could be particularly brutish, effectively the genial backstabber or the vicious brawler. But he also occasionally added that psycho edge that made him particularly scary. Barcroft was the most diverse, going from super-slick 'brains' heavy mastermind in one film, and a scraggly, oafish henchman in another. Immensely enjoyable to watch. I think we covered him before, quite a bit. But there's also something about Harry Woods' charming yet oily villainy. I find a certain low-key realism in his performances, which makes him compulsively watchable. When he's on-screen, I can hardly ever take my eyes off him.

Continuing on the villainy theme, while revisiting these Universal serials (courtesy of VCI's recent blu-ray releases), I was again reminded of how marvelous a villain Walter Miller could be. Saw him also recently, re-watching "Secret of Treasure Island" (1938), one of those Weiss Brothers' produced serials that Columbia released under their banner before they started making them in-house themselves. Walter Miller always looks deceptively UN-menacing initially, looking like a typical banker or businessman. But he could display a kind of determination, or quiet ruthlessness, in his villainy which could make him effectively unnerving. Of course, in the 1920s silent-era serials, Miller had been a regularly starring 'hero' in those chapterplays, often alongside leading-lady Allene Ray. Author Ed Hulse put out a really nifty little softback book on the Miller-Ray serials, full of great photos and info. It's sort of an addition to his two big books on silent serial history (which are really amazing books, chock full of mind-blowing detail). The only thing that drives me crazy about these books is that they make me pine so deeply with a desire to see those old-time serials, yet the films themselves are more than 95% 'lost.' Miller himself goes way, way back in film. I seem to recall seeing him in some early-1910s short film, maybe with Mary Pickford, if my memory is serving me well.

Fred Kohler, Jr., the son, was mentioned upthread in Bob's post on Roy Rogers' "Nevada City" (1941). It should be noted that Kohler, Jr., did have that time in the sun as a b-cowboy star himself, in those two low-low-budget indies from Commodore Pictures. One of them, "Toll of the Desert" (1935), was a real favorite of William K. Everson's, and he always heralded it. I'm not so sure I'd be quite as rhapsodic in my praises of it, but it is definitely an above-average outing for such a cheap indie, with its memorably ironic finale. The other Kohler, Jr., starring effort, "The Pecos Kid" (1935) was okay, but nothing too special. The villain in both films is played by Roger Williams, who was yet another frequent (and effective) baddie in many of the more low-budgeted 1930s b-westerns. As for Fred Kohler, Jr., I can see why he didn't quite make the grade as a movie cowboy. His acting chops were borderline at best, and he really just didn't have that little extra, needed ingredient in the charisma department. But I'm glad his two westerns were made, and that "Toll" does indeed overperform, considering its many limitations.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Harry Woods is great. Bert, I'd add Grant Withers to your list of favorite villains. I think I probably first encountered Roy Barcroft as a good guy, in "Spin and Marty".

I spotted Harry Woods, unbilled, in "Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon"-1942. Close cropped hair and no mustache.
PDVD_002.JPG

With Lionel Atwill and Basil Rathbone.
PDVD_005.JPG

Harry Woods last appearance was in a third season episode of "Lawman", in 1961.
PDVD_010.JPG

Walter Miller is new to me.
feACd92TYNuv37DgCATd107ICrq.jpg

waltermiller5x7.jpg

Miller with, Grant Withers and LeRoy Mason in "Valley of Wanted Men"-1935, a Frankie Darro movie.
image-w1280.jpg

Those two Fred Kohler, Jr starring westerns are up at YouTube, along with "Secret Of Treasure Island".

Allene Ray.
29adc7c608c41bcde665bcaffb83632e--silent-film-san-antonio.jpg

The Retro TV OTA station shows an old B-Western on Sunday afternoons in a two hour slot. 4-6PM. That's a lot of commercials to sift through for a 53 min cut movie or even a 60 minute full length one.

I caught the end of Roy's NEVADA CITY a couple of weeks ago. Last week they showed one of those early John Wayne B-Westerns that were colorized. Grit was showing them a few weeks back too. I was aware of them, but, I had never really run into the colorized Wayne B-Westerns before. I thought they looked too yellow. I was surprised to see they replaced the audio tracks with new music, sound effects, and new voice actors. The young voice dubbing Wayne was pretty close. But it's funny hearing a younger voice dubbing a deep-voiced actor like Dennis Moore.

Yesterday Retro showed "Idaho Kid"-1936, with Rex Bell, Marion Shilling, and Dave Sharpe. That one's on YouTube too.
Rex Bell Dave Sharpe.jpg

Well, it's a little late but here's a few Thanksgiving Roy pictures.

This is from UTAH, and it was not really Thanksgiving.
298292.jpg

From TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD. It was Thanksgiving but they were pretending it was Christmas.
thanksgiving from trail of robin hood.jpg

Roy single appearing co-stars Peggy Moran and Helen Parrish.
Peggy Moran and Helen Parrish Thanksgiving.jpg

COME ON, RANGERS!
Come on Rangers 1938.jpg

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Nice photo of Allene Ray. Although she's recognized somewhat for her silent serial-queen status, I don't think she gets much acknowledgment for something else... she was actually leading-lady in the very first all-talking B-western, "Overland Bound" (1929). It was a little indie, and cowboy-star Leo Maloney's last western before his unexpected death. Supposedly a 'lost' film, about five or six years ago, the gent who runs the Serial Squadron said he'd acquired a copy of the 'silent version' of the film, and was planning on releasing it. Never happened, to my knowledge. Maybe the print was too deteriorated.

Allene Ray was also in the similarly-titled B-western "Westward Bound" (1930), featuring Buffalo Bill, Jr. (Jay Wilsey), another one of those super-cheapo independents, which was just grappling with the new sound technology. Mill Creek has a pretty nice print of it one on of their 50-film western dvd-sets. Although quite creaky and primitive, it's a pretty good-natured, lighthearted effort, and it gives Miss Ray one of her better talkie roles. She only made a scant few films, once talkies arrived. Seeing her in this western, with her short stature, and her light, girlish voice, you wouldn't exactly envision the reality that she was an expert rider and stunt-performer in her earlier heyday. Her actual acting skills, though, seem a bit wanting in these sound films, even more noticeable in the rather daft 'old-dark-house' item, "The Phantom" (1931), a real bottom-of-the-barrel cheapie. Retromedia put out a pretty nice copy of this on dvd as a part of a compilation of early-horror films. It's another rare opportunity to see Ray, but the film itself is pretty awful. Tedious and inane. And I'm usually pretty forgiving of these things, usually enjoying even the weakest of dark house mystery fare. But this one? Eh.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thedel