1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Message #381 of 454 Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    IN OLD AMARILLO-1951, B&W, 66-67 minutes.
    My DVD-R copy is a full theatrical collector copy. Only the edited version is on YouTube.

This is the last Roy Rogers movie of the six with Penny Edwards. She rides Buttermilk again.
    1d.JPG
    1a.
    Pat Brady is back. This is also the first of three movies with Pinky Lee as Roy's sidekick, and the new musical trio, The Roy Rogers Riders.
    2b.JPG
    Roy is a trouble shooter for big rancher, Pierre Watkin. Watkin wants Roy to fire the current foreman, Roy Barcroft, and see his ranch and cattle through a drought.
    3a.JPG
    Watkin sends his tipsy son, Kenneth Howell, along, to sober him up. Estelita Rodriguez is the son's girlfriend and Pinky Lee is his bodyguard. Pinky Lee's his bodyguard??? Even though Pinky, as a sidekick, is strange, when trouble starts, he's depicted as a competent cowboy and straight-shooter.

3b.
    Penny Edwards is helping her Granny, Elisabeth Risdon run a neighboring ranch.

2a.

Even before he was fired, Barcroft and his gang were using the drought to try and buy all the cattle and land they can at low prices.

To help with the drought, Roy brings in water on railroad tank cars and gets the ranchers to hire a cloud seeder,
    4.JPG
    Flying rainmaker Larry J. Blake.
    5.JPG
    5a.JPG
    The bad guys hijack the water tanker and blow up a trestle to stop more tankers from coming in. Barcroft forces Howell to help him shoot down the rainmaker plane.

There's good Lydecker model work with a water tanker train car scale model careening down the tracks and exploding. The sequence is a combination of outdoor footage with Roy's double and maybe stunt Trigger catching the runaway tanker and then Roy and Tom Steele fighting each other, along with stunt doubles for them, on top of the tanker on the studio sound stage. (Even though Tom Steele is a stunt man, when he has lines in a movie, he gets a stunt double too.) The action switches to outdoors with the model tanker blowing up as it crosses the trestle. Dynamited by Barcroft.

I have never really tried to spot real Trigger vs stunt Triggers in the action scenes. Sometimes the stars never make it to the far off locations. Doubles would be used and the stars would do their close ups, outside, closer to home, or in the studio. I wonder if that held for the star horses too? Sometimes the co-stars would ride with the star doubles on location.

Bullet is puzzled by Pinky.
    6a  Bullet studiess Pinky.JPG

Young Penny Edwards sings in 1943 and in the '60s she was the Tiparillo Girl.

2. Message #382 of 454 Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    More on the water tanker stunt.

Stunt Roy rides up to tanker on location.
    1 stunt roy rides up to the  water car on location.JPG
    Real Roy on the studio set.
    2  real roy on the studio set.JPG
    Pinky's double on location.
    3 Pinky's double guarding the water tanker on location.JPG
    Real Pinky on the sound stage.
    3a Pinky on the studio stage about to be knocked out.JPG
    Roy on the sound stage spots the bad guys stealing the tanker.
    3b Roy on the sound stage spots the badguys stealing the tanker.JPG
    On location, the bad guy fires on stunt Roy in the distance,
    3c  on location badguy fires on stunt roy in the distance.JPG
    Outdoor running insert, Roy fires back.
    3d Outdoor Running insert Roy fires back.JPG
    Stunt Roy on location catches up with the tanker.
    6 stunt roy catches the stolen water tanker.

Back on the studio stage, stuntmen mix it up. Real Roy and Tom Steele join in too.
    7 back on the studio stage stunt men mix it up roy's there too.JPG

Filmed outdoors the scale model tanker approaches the model trestle.
    8 tanker scale model filmed outdoors approaching trestle and blows up.JPG
    Blam!!!! Did Roy get away??
    9  did roy get away.JPG

3. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Wonderful posts, as always, Bob! You have rewarded us with a wealth of nostalgic warmth on a frigid November night. And on all of these pages! Very much appreciated!

One of my hometown newspapers is very well represented on Google newspaper archive, and thus, among the news and advertising of the day, I often browse over the many years of what was playing at our many fondly remembered movie houses...My hometown of Calgary Alberta was about 200,000 people in the early '50s, and at that time had about 10 first run movie theaters, including at least 3 big "Palaces" that were very ornate and beautiful, about a half dozen drive-ins, and at least another 6 to 8 "neighborhood" theaters that mostly ran B pictures and second run big studio movies. Later in the '50s, one of those smaller theaters morphed into a Westerns only niche...called "The Hitchin' Post"...it had been demolished in 1959 when I was only 3, but based on my two older brother's vivid memories of their long ago Saturday matinees that I heard, I almost feel like I had been there myself...

With all of those theaters, and the fact that we didn't get our first TV station until 1954, it sometimes surprises me how long it took for some B pictures to get their first run in my hometown. For instance, one of my favorite Roy Rogers Trucolor pictures is North of the Great Divide (with Mounties, natch), which according to IMDB, was released in the USA on November 15, 1950...but it didn't get it's first run in my town till the following July, on a double bill with the Bowery Boy's Ghost Chasers, along with a new Popeye cartoon at the Strand, a theater that I do have many great memories of, most vividly of seeing Jimmy Stewart's The Flight of the Phoenix in a second run matinee...here's a screen cap I took from my hometown newspaper on Google newspaper archive, The Calgary Herald, Friday July 6, 1951...note that one of our drive-ins also offered free pony rides for the kiddies...for dawn to dusk horror marathons, I remember one of our drive-ins promising that a medic was on duty, with smelling salts on the premises for those that passed out from fright, ha, ha...check to see if any of your hometown or favorite newspapers are free to browse on Google...
    https://news.google.com/newspapers
    Roy Rogers North of the Great Divide.JPG

4. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Thanks, Randall!. Of the nine movies listed in those ads I think I have seen seven of them and own five of them.

Never heard of:
    the-baron-of-arizona-vincent-price-ellen-drew-1950-e5n6tf.
    lc_in_this_corner_tc_a_BM06339_T.

Think I have seen, THE LION HUNTERS a Bomba movie. I have vague memories of seeing these on TV and maybe in a theater in the late 50s or early 60s. They have been released by the Warner Archive.
    bomba.

Think I saw TOMAHAWK on TV. GritTV showed numerous Technicolor Yvonne DeCarlo westerns. The Universal Vault Series released many DeCarlo movies.
    Tomahawk.

Low tech me has these next three on VHS. (WYOMING MAIL recorded from TV)
    Rio_Grande_poster.
    image-w856.
    4ac154aefe9a99dd2b032aa774490faa.

STAMPEDE on disc from the Warner Archive.
    wac678986d.
    Lassie in THE PAINTED HILLS fell into the public domain. I think I have it on an old Mill Creek Family Movie set.

mountiegijoe.
    royal-canadian-mounted-police-barbie.
    0bb17ac2544c4660f1df8d7a184f1cf6--husky-siberiano-alaskan-malamute.

5. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I see on the poster of "In Old Amarillo" (1951) that the screenplay was written by Sloan Nibley, who wrote many of those later Rogers films. Nibley was the husband of Republic serial queen Linda Stirling, of course. Director William Witney introduced them to each other, and they had a long marriage, lasting to Nibley's death.

Both Penny Edwards and Linda Stirling appeared at a western film fare in Knoxville, sometime around 1993 or so. Stirling and Edwards appeared together on a panel, alongside Peggy Stewart and Helen Talbot, while William Witney himself sat in the audience, but still helped steer the conversation. I had plans to attend this show, but at the very last minute I had to cancel. Still, a good friend of mine attended, and his wife had a camcorder, and she taped the aforementioned panel show, and made a copy for me.

Penny Edwards mentioned her favorite western that she made was "Trail of Robin Hood" (1950). Her usual stuntwoman was Dorothy Andre, who also did stunts for Dale Evans. Edwards eventually bolted Republic (her contract was just about up), when the studio had plans to give her the leading lady role in the serial "Zombies of the Stratosphere," which she (rightly) viewed as a step backward career-wise. She went over to 20th Century Fox, but didn't like Darryl Zanuck chasing her around his desk, so to speak. She also wasn't too keen on director Reginald LeBorg, who directed her in "The Dalton Girls" (1957), finding him a bit mean and unhelpful. Linda Stirling reflected on how incongruous the weather was for the filming of her first two serials. "The Tiger Woman" (1944) was filmed in the coldest spring that CA had seen in years, and garbed in her skimpy outfit, she was very uncomfortable and had a hard time keeping her teeth from chattering. Then, by summertime, when "Zorro's Black Whip" (1944) was filmed, it was very hot, and she suffered with the decidedly heavier costume. Anyway, the panel served up a lot of little anecdotes like that, in regards to working at Republic back in those days.

RBailey, Bob Gu, Gary OS and 2 others like this.
  6. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Great stuff as always, guys!

RBailey, Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  7. Message #387 of 454 Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Bert's interesting post led me to seek out pictures of Dorothy Andre, who I had never heard of. There was not much that came up in my search, except for a picture and some movie posters at the IMDB.

If the poster IMDB I.D. is correct the lady on the left would be Dorothy Andre, with Joe E. Brown and Marie Windsor.
    dorothy andre fisher.

In this poster, below, with Smiley Burnette, Dorothy is listed first. The girl on the end has the same hairdo as the girl on the "Chatterbox"-1943, poster, but doesn't look like the same girl to me. But might be. She looks more like Rosemary Lane, to me, but Rosemary Lane isn't listed in the cast of "Raiders of Sunset Pass"-1943.
    dorothy andre mozelle cravens maxine doyle jennifer holt nancy worth.

I tried to research the above poster and I think it's: Front row- left to right, Jennifer Holt, Smiley Burnette, Maxine Doyle. Back row-left to right Mozelle Cravens. The other three- I don't know. IMDB says one is Nancy Worth, one unidentified, and one Dorothy Andre. Sometimes IMDB just puts up names of the cast known to be in the movie pictured.

Looking up Dale Evans stunt women, brings us to Alice Van-Springsteen, who along with Dorothy Andre, is listed on IMDB, as also doubling Olivia de Havilland in "The Adventures of Robin Hood". So both may have been on Trigger before Roy Rogers. Alice Van did the opening credit stunt riding on the Gail Davis "Annie Oakley" series. Van was also married to western director, R.G. "Bud" Springsteen. Alice and Dale lived together for a time in a house owned by Bing Crosby. I don't think the IMDB stunt credits for Andre and Van are complete, for the Rogers movies.

Alice Van:
    Van-Springsteen1-300x368.
    alice_van_gaildavis.
    alice_van_royrogers.

THE DALTON GIRLS-1957, with Penny Edwards is out on MGM Mod.
    s-l1000.
    lisa-davis-penny-edwards-sue-george-merry-anders-the-dalton-girls-bpa41f.
    Penny with John 'Lawman' Russell.
    10be77a3e18cdf1e1ffb37fa4c3649c5--dalton-russell.

Similar pic with different background.
    John_Russell-Penny_Edwards_in_The_Dalton_Girls.
    Poster%20-%20Dalton%20Girls,%20The_07.
    62EeTU7cWWiOpRajJza4Ce7Pttj.

Soon I plan to have a, non-Rogers, Penny Edwards marathon, including "The Dalton Girls", "Pony Soldier", and "Two Guys From Texas".

Behind the scenes with Tyrone Power and Robert Horton, "Pony Soldier".
    740full-tyrone-power.
    3248535240_1_21_sU3RjJtc.

"Two Guys From Texas"-1948, on WAC Mod.
    3kb1F6Ddce16wINGBgtZ6jcVWKw.
    Dorothy-Malone-And-Penny-Edwards-In-two-Guys.

This nice painting, inspired by "Major Dundee", credited to Ertugrul Edirne, came up when I searched "Pony Soldier".
    893c613f40138691d8f71528cd0d2399.

8. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    FYI -- THE DALTON GIRLS is available for Amazon Prime members. Watched it recently and enjoyed it.

9. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I thought I'd revisit THE FAR FRONTIER-1948, 67 minutes. This is one of the lost Trucolors.

a (1).
    The full theatrical black and white version is on YouTube in numerous uploads, and on collector PD editions. All are darkish and soft looking. Republic Home Video released the edited VHS 53 min B&W version and that is the best looking version out there that I know of.

a (2).
    Written by Sloan Nibley, THE FAR FRONTIER has a sequence of cold blooded murder, that might give pause to misty-eyed old-timers who think B-westerns are kid friendly nostalgia.

Outlaws are smuggling gangsters back into the U.S., across the Mexican border, hidden in soy bean oil drums.

Border Patrolman, Clayton Moore discovers this and is knocked out and wakes up with amnesia.

a (3).
    Roy Barcroft, lead henchman of, boss, Robert Strange, decides to cover up by murdering the gangsters. He dumps the drums, with gangsters inside, into the river next to a dam.
    a (4).JPG
    a (5).JPG

Robert Strange.
    65rjVzkRxOa7mNtjuxbKJqGcrU9.

The outlaws frame Clayton Moore for murder and robbery, to muddy the waters and to bug Clayton's dad, Francis Ford. Ford is an old enemy of Strange.

Roy with Francis Ford.
    The Far Frontierford.
    Roy decides to investigate with the help of Andy Devine.
    a (9).

Roy finds a dead gangster, whose soy oil drum fell off the truck.
    a (10).
    Something that can only happen in a Roy Rogers movie: Roy and Andy get Ford to invite Strange to a dinner party, so they can sneak away and search his office, for clues. Strange has a nice time eating and listening to The Riders of the Purple sage sing.

Clayton's girlfriend is Gail Davis, TV's Annie Oakley.
    a (13).
    a (12).
    a (14).
    a (15).
    Of course Clayton Moore played this guy.
    a (6).

Slightly earlier he played another masked hero, "The Ghost of Zorro", for Republic. Getting the drop on Barcroft.
    a (7).
    There's a nice action scene with real Trigger, dodging and jumping over rolling oil drums. The story goes, the stunt Triggers couldn't perform the stunt.
    a (16).JPG
    a (17).JPG
    a (18).JPG
    a (11).

Full soft B&W theatrical version, and another that seems slightly sharper, but doesn't have the opening titles and credits.

10. Bert Greene

Every now and then in these old b-westerns, you encounter a few unexpectedly brutal moments, as in that cold-blooded murder in "The Far Frontier" (1948-Rep). Another example that always stands out is the killing of the newspaper publisher in "Hopalong Cassidy Returns" (1936-Par). The wheelchair-bound gent is lassoed in his chair by the villain on horseback, and dragged backward down the town street until hitting the back side of a buckboard with a loud thud. Then, there is also the Charles Starrett item "Outlaws of the Prairie" (1937-Col), which offers the scenario of a murderous villain, having just killed a boy's father, suddenly struck with the thought of the boy growing up and gunning for him out of revenge, turns around and cuts off the young boy's trigger finger... just in case, ya know. Some of the old western/serial fare didn't fool around. Speaking to the latter, I think I gave up trying to figure the body count in the Columbia serial "The Spider's Web" (1938). People were dropping like flies in that one.

I also sometimes get a kick out the dark humor occasionally found in some of the older b-westerns. Things that likely wouldn't have flown in the later post-war years. In "The Trail Drive" (1933-Univ), with Ken Maynard, there's a 'brain' heavy villain who starts up a phony bank and swindles some ranch families out of their herd money, with the help of an outlaw gang. Maynard gets the money back to the owners on a trail drive, and the villain, having been exposed, is fleeing the town on horseback. In a clearing, and on the run, he embarrassingly meets up with the outlaw gang (headed by Bob Kortman) demanding their cut. He gives them what little he has, and he stammers and apologetically rides on, offscreen. The deadpan Kortman then calmly unholsters his pistol and shoots him as he's riding away (again, offscreen), telling his gang that they can have whatever is left of him. It's dry, but very funny. The films then just heads back to Maynard and his leading lady for a traditional, happy little wrap-up.

There's also a Jack Randall western which has a darkly funny outcome for the villain. The film itself, "Overland Mail" (1939-Mon), really isn't anything special, to put it mildly. But in the course of the film's events, the villain (Tris Coffin) is responsible for the killing of a young Indian. At the conclusion of the film, after a big gunfight in town, the villain is captured, and our hero Jack Randall informs the folks he's going to turn the villain over to the Indian tribe for justice. I don't know how much it was intended, but the juxtaposition of the villain's face turning white (at the thought of the grisly fate he'll get at the hands of the Indians), and the townsfolk all being in jolly spirits about it (saying it will save the expense of a town trial and hanging) is quite humorous.

Jack K, Jeff Flugel, Bob Gu and 2 others like this.
  11. Message #391 of 454 Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    That wheel chair incident, in "Hopalong Cassidy Returns", is a total surprise for a Hoppy movie. They reworked the story in a less violent way for another Hoppy, "Wide Open Town"-1941. Most interesting, was they brought back the same actress, Evelyn Brent, to play the bad woman in both movies.

hopalong-cassidy-returns-d6aa01be0b194586f9162cb6509edaf3.
    14_192953_2_WideOpenTown.

Evelyn Brent.
    2979434675_1_13_qJXyl3MX.

eb.

Victor Jory, Hoppy and, sitcom star, Cara Williams, billed as Bernice Kay. Don't try this at home.
    dd13ed70abf588acd26bf6abc60cc2e9.

fO0hldQug1fXcxhOlOEQKVWlckn.
    the-trail-drive-ken-maynard-1933-e5n507.
    Ken Maynard with Tarzan.
    08_1940 Phantom Rancher.jpeg.
    Ken Maynard with director Albert S. Rogell.
    wonder horse ALBERT S. ROGELL maynard tarzan.
    overland-mail-from-from-left-iron-eyes-cody-jack-randall-1939-e5nk97.
    Addison.

I think I have only seen one Ken Maynard movie. Two Starretts and no Randalls.

Warren Hull as the, quick shooting, 'Spider' brings us back to Roy Rogers in an aroundabout way. In addition to playing 'Mandrake the Magician', Hull also played the 'Green Hornet' in the 1941 serial "The Green Hornet Strikes Again".

10507143_11.

2778631-spider_serial3.
    mandrake-the-magician-warren-hull-movie-poster-1939-E5N24G.

ghsa-promo-04.
    Roy side-kick, Gordon 'Splinters' Jones played the 'Green Hornet' in the first "Green Hornet" serial, 1940.
    4680705586_b7ab183747_z.

18631f21666d6731d5149e5b9519b730--original-movie-posters-dale-evans.

ponset, Jeff Flugel, RBailey and 2 others like this.
  12. Bert Greene

That "Hopalong Cassidy Returns" (1936) was really a standout b-western. Morris Ankrum was sensational as the villain. I often thought if his career had geared more often towards westerns, he could have given Roy Barcroft a run for his money as top 1940s movie owlhoot. Plus, Evelyn Brent was also marvelous in "Returns." Even though her career was winding down to b-films and serials at this time, she was still in there giving it her all. She had quite a long and prominent career in silents and early-talkies. In fact, she starred in Paramount's first talkie, "Interference" (1928). I've never seen it, although I've seen the remake ("Without Regret") with Elissa Landi from a few years later. Brent was also great in the classic "The Last Command" (1928), with her character constantly making you wonder where her loyalties might lie. Before all that, she actually had been a leading-lady for Buck Jones in one of his early Fox westerns (undoubtedly a lost film). The same year, 1924, at Fox, she was also in "The Arizona Express," a neat crime film with a very exciting train-chase finale. She was not the leading lady, but rather, the vampish gang moll. Grapevine Video has this one available. The print's pretty weak, though, due to source elements. Nice old silent melodrama. Brent always had that hard-edged look which lent itself to good-bad girl roles. I'd be curious to see some of her earliest work during her salad days, to gauge if it was any different.

I do tend to like Ken Maynard. Even though he wasn't really that good an actor, and a bit of a miserable cuss in real life, during his heyday (pre-1935) he was one heck of a movie-cowboy star. He did some truly wild stunt-riding when he was younger, and his silent First National films (almost all 'lost films') were considered some of the best in their day. I get a kick out of his second, short stint (1933-34) at Universal, where he made some pretty offbeat efforts. Probably the most common of these (maybe due to PD status?) is surely "Honor of the Range" (1934). It's a real hoot. Maynard plays identical twins, one being the hero, and the other a cringing, cowardly clerk who makes a deal with an outlaw gang. In the course of the film, the 'hero' Ken has to disguise himself as an old-time vaudevillian and gives a song-and-dance performance on stage. All the while, the main villain (Fred Kohler) has a multi-room cave hideout with secret entrances and replete with an upright organ for musical interludes. It's a wild and wacky film, and a lot of fun.

There was also "King of the Arena" (1933), in which Ken goes undercover in a circus to ferret out foreign spies who have a gas-pellet invention causing a 'black death' to victims they rob. Bob Kortman plays a villainous Cossack rider (in full regalia!), who kidnaps Ken's girl in a biplane! The whole thing is ridiculous, like the other film, but it does have a flamboyant sense of zesty fun. Maynard's last Universal fim, "Smoking Guns" (1934) is pretty notorious for the plot's inane lack of logic, and serving up some things like an alligator attack, a spooky mansion, and a somewhat shocking bit of leading-lady cleavage. Not a good film. Interesting for its bizarreness. But not good.

13. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    King of the Arena didn't do all that well because, by then, the Cossack rider kidnapping a girl in a biplane had become pretty cliche and people were tiring of it.:P

Still very much enjoying the reviews. Thanks.

Bert Greene, Bob Gu and Flashgear like this.
  14. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I see there are some Ken Maynards and Kermits, too, on YouTube, that I'll have to add to my watch pile. But not "King Of The Arena".
    king-of-the-arena-movie-poster-1933-1020246060.
    king-of-the-arena-from-left-ken-maynard-lucile-browne-bob-kortman-e5nekk.

Tonight's the night Jane Frazee visits.
    739full-jane-frazee.
    Penny Edwards .
    3f996043374b333d67c1b6f3699cb218.
    51J+eHmmzyL.
    16798682531_e37aed4eb2.

Roy and Sears. 873683.
    This next one flipped the picture. Flipped pictures always make hats look off to me.
    1081931 (3).
    1081931 (2).
    46873610041_56d24068ec_b.
    d753b89dc8d5d8ca4e2aad4a993225b5.
    86fac26abba749020037124ec39e8a7c.
    Hey is this Roy as Santa? gettyimages-3208129-612x612.

15. Message #395 of 454 Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Bob, you find the most evocative and glorious pictures, thank you for making this thread such a joy!

I continue to wander about in the time machine that is my hometown newspaper archive on Google newspapers, and remembering the many great movie houses and the streets as they were in those days, or at least as well as I can remember them from my early '60s childhood memories...I imagine myself taking in the double bill at the Strand theater on July 9, 1949...The Bowery Boys in their new outing, Fighting Fools...paired with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans in their newest Trucolor film, Susanna Pass...a lot of great films playing that week at our other theaters...Billy Wilder's delightful A Foreign Affair (just recently got Kino Lorber's nice Blu of this classic film), Bogey's Knock on any Door, Bob Hope and Lucille Ball in Sorrowful Jones...Virginia Grey and Richard Denning in Unknown Island in color, I've only seen that minor dinosaur movie in B+W, and am surprised it was originally shot in color...Clark Gable's Command Decision and the Howard Hawks classic Red River with John Wayne and a young Monty Cliff on the way for the next week...British Lion's color film Northwest Stampede is a little gem starring Joan Leslie, James Craig, Chill Wills and Jack Oakie that was filmed in our area at the Calgary Stampede rodeo, the Rocky Mountains at Banff and Lake Louise...last time I checked it was available on Youtube...just by chance, TCM is showing another British Lion film starring Joan Leslie, Repeat Performance, this morning on Eddie Muller's Noir Alley...click on images to enlarge...
    Roy Rogers Susanna Pass 2.JPG
    Roy Rogers Susanna Pass 1.JPG

ponset, Bob Gu, Bert Greene and 2 others like this.
  16. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Randall, I see yet another trip to YouTube to check out some of those titles. I think I may have as much unwatched YouTube downloads stored on USB as I do unwatched impulse buy DVD TV seasons. As least the USBs take up less space.

I see that "Sorrowful Jones" is also funnier than "The Pale Face"!!
    clip hope.
    funnier.

Speaking of "Red River" and nice pictures. My favorite CED cover was for the "Red River" release. I am kind of sorry I didn't save some of them for the artwork. "Red River" was a two disc release and cost about $39.99, new, back then vs. $59.99-99.99 for a new release VHS.
    red-river-22 2 2.
    9474ba1bd6b9261c3fe493109b721bb7.

17. Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    Roy and Dale married on new year's eve 1947...they were together 51 years, up to Roy's passing in 1998...
    [​IMG]

ponset, Bert Greene, RBailey and 3 others like this.
  18. Message #398 of 454 Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    PALS OF THE GOLDEN WEST-1951, B&W, 66-67 minutes.
    I have the full theatrical version on a 'collector' DVD-R, and an edited version from YouTube. Don't know if the full version is streaming anywhere or on any Public Domain DVD releases.
    PALS OF THE GOLDEN WEST is the last Republic Roy Rogers feature.

In PALS Roy is the Border Patrol's ace troubleshooter. There's an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease in parts of Mexico. The Border Patrols of Mexico and the United States cooperate to contain the outbreak, by keeping all Mexican live stock and wild animals from crossing into the U.S., until the disease can be eradicated and check points set up to process healthy cattle into the U.S., for sale.

a (12).JPG
    In the meantime, outlaws led by, Anthony Caruso and Roy Barcroft, are sneaking cheaply bought or stolen Mexican cattle across the border under the cover of sand storms. They sell them to U.S. buyers who are gambling that the cattle are not diseased, or don't know they might be.
    a (6).JPG
    Along with Roy, Pat Brady and the Roy Rogers Riders play the U.S. Border Patrolmen. Maurice Jara represents the Mexican Border Patrol.

Pat Brady.
    a (11).JPG
    Maurice Jara.
    a (4).JPG
    Jara catches the outlaws but the tables are turned.
    a (8).JPG
    Dale plays a reporter who wants action on the hoof and mouth disease problem, to stop the possible destruction of U.S. herds, if they become infected. Dale comes to the border town and works with local the newspaper editor, Estelita Rodriguez and her photographer, Pinky Lee.

Roy wants to keep his investigation quiet. and swears Pinky to secrecy.
    Bullet thinks Dale should mind her own business.
    Pinky is no match for the interrogation skills of Dale and Estelita!

a (13).JPG
    Bullet, after three movies, still doesn't get Pinky!
    a (9).JPG
    a (10).JPG
    Dale rides Buttermilk.
    a (14).JPG

There's lots of fast riding, fighting, and shooting, plus the Republic giant fans create the sand storms throughout the movie, for production value.

a (15).JPG

The hoof and mouth disease outbreak was a real threat that went on between 1946 and 1951.

Found a double feature ad.

I wonder if Bert ever heard of this one? A possible WAC release?

jet-job-HSfolded--vg-s.
    jet job stanley clements elena verdugo.
    i434.

19. Bert Greene

No, I've never seen "Jet Job" (1952). I was hoping Warner Archive might release it with the two other remaining Stanley Clements 'Monogram' titles, "Army Bound" (1952) and "White Lightning" (1953). They'd released "Hot News" (1953) pretty early in the game, and I was hoping the rest would quickly follow, but they never did. I got a kick out of "Hot News" just for its endearing datedness. It just seemed like something Monogram would have put out in the late-30s/early-40s. The producer for all these Stanley Clements films was the guy that later took over as producer for the Bowery Boys, and I'm sure that's how Clements eventually got mixed in with all that, after Leo Gorcey left.

I recall in my early film-buff days of sometimes mixing up Clements and Frankie Darro, as they both often seemed to be playing short, snarling jockeys. That's why I particularly got a kick out of seeing that "Public Defender" episode co-starring the two together as rival jockeys. Darro, of course, was older, and went way, way back in films. In fact, as a pretty young kid, he supported Tom Tyler in a whole host of silent westerns released through FBO. There's one that circulates, "Texas Tornado" (1928), which Sinister Cinema made available. As I recall, it's not long on plot, but it's full of zippy action. I'd love to see more of these late-silent Tyler FBO westerns. Another was also up on youtube, if I recall, but most of the films are (unsurprisingly) lost. There is another silent Tyler western that circulates, "Call of the Desert" (1930), but it was a later Syndicate release (brief precursor to Monogram), and as opposed to being a true silent, it's actually a 'silent version' of an early-talkie, designed for small, rural theaters that still hadn't upgraded to sound. The talkie version might not survive. It's an atmospheric film, if a bit unduly dull, although leading-lady and long-time character actress Sheila Bromley looks amazingly pretty in it. Quite unlike some of her later work, where she gradually veered more towards mean or shrewish character parts. Bud Osbourne, an old favorite, is a villain in it. But anyway, it's those Tyler FBO's where Frankie Darro actually did make a bit of a mark in the b-western genre.

20. Message #400 of 454 Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Don't quote me, but I hear that JET JOB and HOT NEWS is going to be the first Monogram/Allied Artists, double-feature, Blu-Ray coming from WAC.
    better.

Kidding aside, "Hot News" is something I should take a look at. Interesting cast.

Your right, Bert, it's pretty easy to mix up Frankie Darro and Stanley Clements. Whenever a part called for a down on his luck, or slightly shady, jockey, it would be one or the other.

Huntz Hall, Joi Lansing, and Stanley Clements in "Hot Shots"-1956.

gettyimages-156488283-612x612.

Both were true B-stars. Darro, especially, with his multi-film series, co-starring Kane Richmond and Mantan Moreland. Was Gale Storm in some of these, too?

the-phantom-empire.

Darro as Robby the Robot.
    13280361735_64c62af01b_b.
    Sheila Bromley.
    s-l1000.

280full.

Later in the 87th PRECINCT with Robert Lansing and Joey Walsh.
    gettyimages-460935860-612x612.