1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I guess, for Roy, it is best to stay away from Grapevine, then.

There was a nice upload of HELLFIRE, on YouTube for years. It is gone now. The Paramount restored version was part of that Museum of Modern Art showing of Republic movies this past Summer. See Posts # 166, 167,168. I am disappointed Dave Kehr didn't do a follow up video for the second group of Republics they honored.

Bert Greene, RBailey and Gary OS like this.
  2. Message #302 of 307 Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SAN FERNANDO VALLEY- 1944, B&W, 74 minutes.
    b (1).
    Uncut from Sinister Cinema on DVD-R and the old Republic Home Video VHS.
    The VHS is a little lighter and looks better, but the Sinister, while darker looking, is the most complete. The Sinister, starts with a fanfare as the bell tower logo is shown and we can see the bell moving and hear it ringing and leads to the theatrical title card, and has the proper ending and technical credits., but without the end Tower logo between them.
    The RHV VHS starts with a RHV color Eagle logo and the Bell Tower logo is joined in progress and we don't hear all the rings plus it leads to a syndicated title card. It also has the proper ending and technical credits but no end Tower logo. Be careful!, if buying the Sinister as they released an earlier 53 minute edition with an MCA logo.

GritTV is showing SAN FERNANDO VALLEY on Sunday March 10, at 6 A.M. , eastern, in a two hour slot, followed by the nice but too greenish print of 67 minute TWILIGHT IN THE SIERRAS, in a 90 minute slot. So they both should be shown uncut. The two movies repeat, twice, later in the month.

Dale and, perky sister, Jean Porter live on their grandfather's ranch. Dale and Gramps fire The Pioneers and two other hands for singing on the job with Jean Porter.
    b (2).
    Gramps is played by Andrew Tombes, who I think is under the Santa beard in Post # 232 Tombes was the naughty politician in DON"T FENCE ME IN.

Dale hires a crew of female rodeo riders and glamour girls, led by Dot Farley to replace the Pioneers.
    b (3).
    b (4).
    The cowgirl sitting on Roy's right is Helen Talbot, who co-starred in some Republic westerns and serials.
    zz.
    Roy, passing through, on his way back to the San Fernando Valley, spots his pal, Ed Gargan, and tries to convince him to come back to the home ranch.

They run into Dale and, later, Hank Bell, who is always seen driving stages and wagons in westerns.
    b (7).
    b (8).

Roy is smitten with Dale and Jean is smitten with Roy.
    b (5).
    Roy and Ed follow Dale back home and Gramps hires them to be cooks. Of course they can't cook and sexist, lost men in the kitchen, humor follows.
    b (11).
    The crime story is instigated by Jean, when she gets the idea to discredit the female hands so Gramps will hire the Pioneers and the other two guys back. She wants them to steal some horses and bring them back, when the cowgirls fail to find them.

The other two guys, Pierce Lyden and LeRoy Mason, along with Kenne Duncan, decide to steal the horses for real.

Meanwhile, The Pioneers, distract everyone by stopping by to serenade the girls, poolside early one evening.
    b (13).
    b (14).
    b (14a).
    Eventually, Roy and Ed, capture the horse thieves, with the help of Trigger. Trigger shows his stuff when he saves Roy from Kenne Duncan, in the nick of time.

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY is a musical comedy and romance with plenty of singing, dancing, and specialty acts. There is still a lot of action, with fights, horse riding, wagon stunts, and even a sulky race. Loads of fun!
    b (19).
    Wide-eyed Jean Porter is a fun actress, who I first noticed in a couple of those Hal Roach service comedies with William Tracy and Joe Sawyer. She wrote letters to and wrote some articles for Classic Images. She was married to the director, Edward Dmytryk. I think her part was written with Mary Lee in mind, but Lee had married and retired, after SONG OF NEVADA.

Jean Porter:
    b (15).
    b (16).
    b (17).
    b (18).
    YouTube: Possibly enhanced , 74 min. upload from The Film Detective, looks like it is from the same source as the print used on the RHV VHS.

Jeff Flugel, ponset, Gary OS and 2 others like this.
  3. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Jean Porter is always a welcome presence in a film. I've been wanting to see a trio of movies she starred in for Columbia in 1947, "Sweet Genevieve," "Little Miss Broadway," and "Two Blondes and a Redhead." All three were produced by Sam Katzman and directed by Arthur Dreifuss. Being Katzman items, they are admittedly going to be pretty threadbare cheapies, but I'd like to see them all the same, especially for Porter. Each film also featured a somewhat third-tier big band of the day. The first had Al Donahue and his orchestra, the second had Jerry Wald, and the third had Tony Pastor (who'd been an early fixture in Artie Shaw's band in the late-1930s).

There was another film that followed, "Mary Lou" (1948), but it starred an actress named Joan Barton, instead of Porter. I'm not familiar with Barton at all. But it was also a Katzman-Dreifuss affair, and featured as its named band, Frankie Carle and his orchestra. That seemed to spell the end of that semi-series of musical-comedy cheapies. Although later in that year, and perhaps in a similar vein, Katzman and Dreifuss put together a couple of films starring Gloria Jean, "Manhattan Angel" (1948) and "I Surrender Dear" (1949). None of these films have tended to circulate much. Never made it to the Sony Archive 'mod' line, unfortunately. So many Columbia B's out there, and they only got to the tip of things. No Jinx Falkenburg titles made it either. Nor any of those Ken Curtis and Hoosier Hot Shots things. I sure miss that line of discs.

4. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Sunday's GritTV broadcast, of SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, is the best looking print I have see on this title. It has nice contrast and is not as dark as the RHV VHS, or the Sinister DVD-R, or the Film Detective upload at YouTube.

It was a full 74 minute theatrical print with the proper Independence Hall bell tower logo with the bell ringing and swinging, leading to the theatrical title card. Like the other three versions, noted above, the GritTV print was missing the tower logo that should be between the last frame of the action and the technical credits.

It had this Paramount logo, at the end, which I understand started in 2002 or so.
    untitled.

I think this is only the second time, I have seen a Paramount logo on the Roy Rogers movies showing on GritTV. It's a funny mix of Rogers movies showing on GritTV, condition and source wise.

Here's a clip of Jean Porter in TWO BLONDES AND A REDHEAD. This sounds like she's really singing. I am not sure it's her real voice in SAN FERNANDO VALLEY.

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY will show on GritTV, again on Wed. 3/20 at 3:30 PM to 5:30 PM, and Thur. 3/21 at 12:30 AM to 2:30 AM, Eastern.

Jeff Flugel, Gary OS and Bert Greene like this.
  5. Message #305 of 307 Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    SONG OF NEVADA-1944, B&W, 72 or 75 min.?
    a (1).
    I have the Sinister Cinema DVD-R. It is 72 minutes and is the longest version, I think is, available. It has the bell tower logo with the bell moving and ringing. Oddly, the logo is followed by both the theatrical title card and the syndicated title card. It has the proper THE END, and the moving and ringing bell tower logo before the technical credits. The print is dark, but is still highly recommended for the length, music, and charming Roy and Dale chemistry.
    a (7).
    Dale's dad, Thurston Hall, goes to New York, to bring her back. He finds her unwilling to return and engaged to John Eldredge, playing one of his smooth fortune hunter types.

Thurston Hall, Lloyd Corrigan, Roy, Dale, Mary Lee:
    a (2).

Roy, Forrest Taylor, Dale, John Eldredge, Ken Carson:
    a (13).
    Hall heads back to Nevada, in a small passenger plane. The plane develops engine trouble and lands near Roy and his cattle drive. Hall misses the plane, when it takes off, and stays with Roy.
    a (2).
    Many days later, when they reach a town, Hall and Roy discover that the plane crashed and Hall is believed to be dead. Finding out that Dale is, now, back at the ranch, Hall decides to stay dead. He convinces Roy to help him break up Dale and Eldredge and keep her at the ranch.

a (8).
    Roy is up against Eldredge, who wants to liquidate the ranch, and the ranch foreman, LeRoy Mason, again, who is selling ranch horses, on the side, for himself.

Roy, with a Masked Man and an Indian, (no, not them):
    a (5).

Roy with Mary Lee:
    a (11).
    SONG OF NEVADA is the last movie for Mary Lee, who married and retired. She's a fun singer and performer, and she can really sell a song. I posted this clip a few pages back. Here it is again:

There is a 4 plus minute musical review and finale plus plenty of music all through the movie. The action consists of some horse riding stunts, a few fights, and a stagecoach race with Roy driving against Kenne Duncan, again.

a (3).
    a (4).
    a (6).

Found at the Bob Nolan site: a couple of sheet music books and a social media page written by Captain Bijou, Earl Blair, talking about what is missing from the 72 minute version of SONG OF NEVADA. He says the records he found show it has been 72 minutes since 1945, but may have been originally shot as 75 min.
    a (10).
    a (14).
    a (1).

Just found a YouTube upload of, a full theatrical print of SONG OF NEVADA that is brighter looking than the Sinister version. It is about 25 seconds longer, too., but the sound track has some oddities. Wonder if it is available from another PD company? Anybody recognize the logo?

a (9).

Bert Greene, RBailey and Gary OS like this.
  6. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    I thought I'd post that a few of the Republic Pictures restorations by Paramount have been made available for streaming rental and purchase in SD and HD. Both iTunes and Amazon have two great Republic Trucolor westerns available: THE OUTCAST (directed by William Witney) with John Derek and HELLFIRE (directed by R.G. Springsteen). The quality is excellent. Other Republic/Paramount titles are FLAME OF THE ISLANDS with Yvonne DeCarlo, THE ATOMIC KID with Mickey Rooney and a number of John Wayne films.

Paramount has previously made available some George Pal sci-fi films upgraded to HD like WAR OF THE WORLDS and WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE. These titles and some of the newer Republic upgrades are only available to stream and have not been released on physical media yet.

Bert Greene and Bob Gu like this.
  7. Message #307 of 307 Mar 22, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS-1944, B&W, 69 minutes.
    d (1).
    Available in a full uncut theatrical print from Sinister Cinema on VHS and DVD-R. I only have the VHS. It looks soft and dark. Anyone have the DVD-R? Is it better looking? (The edited versions on YouTube look brighter.) GritTV has it scheduled for Saturday, April 13, at 6 AM to 7:30 AM, Eastern. Wonder what shape that showing will be in?

d (15).
    Dale is performing on George Cleveland's showboat, "The Yellow Rose".

d (5).

1944%2006%2024%20Yellow%20Rose%20of%20Texas%20%20Fred.
    Dale's father, Harry Shannon, breaks jail, after being convicted of armed robbery. Insurance investigator, Roy joins the showboat cast, disguised as a singing cowboy, to spy on Dale. When Shannon contacts Dale, Roy swoops in for the arrest and to recover the lost stolen money.

d (3).
    Dale and Shannon convince Roy to help them prove Shannon's innocence.
    d (2).

Harry Shannon with Roy:
    d (4).

But, who could be the real crooks? Roy looks for clues and suspects.

Not Hal Taliaferro, again? William Haade? Maybe Weldon Hayburn?
    d (10).
    Yellow%20Rose%20punch.

Grant Withers? No, he's too nice a guy.
    d (8).

Couldn't be Tom London, he's the Sheriff.
    d (7).

Weldon Hayburn, Tom London, Roy, William Haade:
    Yellow%202.

William Haade, he usually plays tough hombres. But he's Roy's sidekick here.
    d (11).
    b (10).

Lots of singing and dancing in the showboat setting.
    d (12).
    d (14).
    d (16).
    Trigger even has some competition:
    d (13).
    d (17).
    d (9).