1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Dec 6, 2010.

1. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    How can we convince Kino or Olive or someone to release this on Blu-ray? I know the Kino representative said the other 2 Rogers Trucolor films were sales disappointments, but I would love to see this get some sort of release. Thanks to Paramount for this and other Republic restorations and thanks to TCM for showing this.

2. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Thanks, for the screen shots, Brian. Blue, blue jeans, too!! A true color corrected print.

46282240452_751ac98bc7.

In the MoMA mini documentary on Republic, Dave Kehr said Paramount is restoring over 600 Republic features. How many have been released on Disc?
    I hope these restorations continue to show up on TV.

3. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    They should wait till they have 4 or 5 restored Rogers Trucolor films and release them as a box set instead of individual releases. Just my 2 cents.

4. Message #244 of 276 Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    THE COWBOY AND THE SENORITA-1944 77-78 min. B&W

04%20Cowboy%20and%20Senorita%20HS.

This picture is the first pairing of Roy Rogers with Dale Evans. She is billed under, peppy teen singer, Mary Lee, who plays Dale's sister. This is the first of two co-star roles for Lee in Roy's movies.

ROY%20COWBOY%20&%20THE%20SENORITA%20bh.
    gettyimages-136565276-1024x1024.

Credits%20(3).

Quinn 'Big Boy' Williams is back as Roy's sidekick, 'Teddy Bear'. Teddy Bear and Fuzzy Knight compete for the affections of Dorothy Christy, who plays Dale's cook/housekeeper.
    Cowb%20(17)%20bb.

bigCowboy%20and%20Senorita%20Posing.
    Just as in HANDS ACROSS THE BORDER, Roy and Teddy Bear are, drifting, out of work, cowboys. They are falsely accused of kidnapping, runaway, Mary Lee. Later they are cleared, by Mary, and hired by Dale, to keep an eye on Mary.

Cowb%20(13b).
    05_1944 Cowboy and the Senorita.
    cowboy%20&.

John Hubbard and Hal Taliaferro, are out to cheat the sisters out of their late father's hidden gold mine. The Sons of the Pioneers are the sister's loyal ranch hands.

1321-59%20Phillips.
    gettyimages-136565289-612x612.
    Cowboy%20and%20Senorita.
    gettyimages-136565277-1024x1024.
    Cowb%20(20).
    The musical finale is eight minutes long and there are numerous songs throughout the movie, including the title song, Mary Lee singing 'The Yellow Rose of Texas', and Dale singing in Spanish, after all she is the Senorita in the title.

cowboy-and-the-senorita.
    Look for Spanky McFarland, in the beginning, and serial star Kirk Allan, at the end, in small parts.

"Big Boy" Williams was not brought back again, in other Rogers movies, although a couple of the one shot side kicks, in the next films, seem to be patterned after the same type, William Haade, in THE YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS, and Edward Gargan, in SAN FERNANDO VALLEY.

gettyimages-136565356-612x612.

There was also a character dynamic in the Rogers pictures around this time that had Roy's romantic interest having a kid sister, and an older, experienced, comic, woman, around, too, as a kind of mentor. We see this in MAN FROM MUSIC MOUNTAIN, SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, and THE COWBOY AND THE SENORITA.

THE COWBOY AND THE SENORITA is available in the collector /PD market in the full length 77-78 minute version, and also in 51 and 54 minute cut versions.

YouTube 77:40 minute uncut theatrical version.

5. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

"Cowboy and the Senorita" (1944) was definitely a key entry, with Dale's arrival. Mary Lee gets billing over her, as Lee had already been pretty busy at Republic around that time, even headlining a few B's like "Shanty Town" (1943) and "Three Little Sisters" (1944). I've seen the latter, which also featured Republic regular Ruth Terry. But the former film has remained rather elusive.

Always did enjoy seeing Hal Taliaferro around, playing a henchman to the main villain, something he often specialized in after his Wally Wales days. His voice and delivery always reminded me a bit of Ben Johnson. As a cowboy-star, Wales never quite got a foothold once talkies started. Oh, he starred in a few early examples, but they were primarily rock-bottom cheapies for Big Four or Imperial. Yet he ultimately kept quite busy in slews of small character parts, like so many other former silent-era cowboy stars, from Jack Perrin to Edmund Cobb and Lane Chandler and such. I wish Wally Wales' silent westerns had a better survival rate. For a while, he was with Artclass, the outfit run by the Weiss Brothers, and a fair amount of their vintage library did seem to survive. VCI even put out a dvd-set of some of their silent two-reel comedies, and the prints were startling good (unlike the comedies themselves, which were rather weak). Even a print of that Weiss Brothers serial, "The Mysterious Airman" (1928) managed to avoid nitrate obliteration, looking quite nice, and was released on dvd just a couple of years back. But their Wally Wales westerns? No such luck, apparently.

Jeff Flugel, Bob Gu and Gary OS like this.
  6. Message #246 of 276 Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Hal Taliaferro, is a pretty good actor, too. He actually seems scared of Teddy Bear, in THE COWBOY AND THE SENORITA.

As Wally Wales:
    01_Wally Wales 1920s.

As Hal Taliaferro:
    8104a1279ac11e219bb7c1cdf61c97bb.

Hal's the long-haired cowboy, by the barrel here, in RED RIVER.
    0907404_3.

He has a good part in BRIMSTONE-1949, a two color TRUCOLOR, Rod Cameron movie, with Walter Brennan, Adrian Booth(Lorna Gray), Forrest Tucker, Jack Lambert, Jim Davis and 'Big Boy' Williams. The way he just decides to throw in with Brennan's gang family, is kind of neat.

003ddc08.

le-cavalier-fantome_462049_48741.
    BRIMSTONE has been on TV for years, looking very nice. It was on YouTube, but not today. It's out in R2, on DVD. There is a black and white stock shot of cattle, on the off TV version I have on VHS. I wonder if that is originally how it looked, or did a computer restoration of the print 'correct' a blue tinted night scene back into B&W?

9415b327b6daad6d998188888dc267d0.
    le-cavalier-fantome-affiche_91613_48850.

yks6zXvwOp06Mrj2NuiU45rAmnI.

hqdefaultrmd.
    BRIMSTONE brings to mind another good Cameron, Republic, RIDE THE MAN DOWN-1953. This one is a three color TRUCOLOR and features Forrest Tucker, again. RIDE is what's known as a 'ranch house western'. In a 'ranch house western' the hero is usually involved in some sort of range war situation, where he picks a side to 'ride for the brand'. Another trope, of this type of story, is that the hero has two romantic interests to choose between. An outdoors woman, like Ella Raines or a town woman, like Barbara Britton.

8e067927c9625ee8bfbc4408229b4c10.
    capturez-cet-homme-affiche_341019_24539.

1104-1.

RIDE THE MAN DOWN was out on VHS, by NTA before they started calling themselves Republic Home Video. It's available in R2, on DVD. Below is a YouTube upload from the old VHS. In the VHS, the picture is too dark to see the final shootout. I wonder if the R2s and newer TV broadcasts are from a restored print, and that the last shootout can be seen?

cc7e654c2130058ee464e1b65afae717.
    capturez-cet-homme-poster_341024_18554.

71tlECy6RuL._SY445_.

Bert Greene, Jeff Flugel and Gary OS like this.
  7. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    Wow! Just discovered this thread. Great job, guys!

Gary OS, Bert Greene and Bob Gu like this.
  8. Bert Greene

Odd about that German dvd cover to "Brimstone" (1949) still listing Adrian Booth by her older moniker of Lorna Gray. She can be added to the name-change sweepstakes alongside Tom Keene / Richard Powers, and Wally Wales / Hal Taliaferro. Changing screen-names is not all that uncommon among film actors, but in these three cases they are unusual because they occurred after all three had established a fairly long and notable career in movies in their previous billings. I'm still more apt to refer to Booth as Gray, when she was still thriving in her B-film glory, working in things from Three Mesquiteers westerns to Three Stooges comedies. Not to mention, as the evil Vultura, plaguing our heroes in the "Perils of Nyoka" (1942) serial. She was also leading lady to Buster Keaton in what I rank as his best Columbia-era short, "Pest from the West" (1939). Keaton's style generally didn't mesh with Columbia's, but somehow, "Pest" turns out to be a really fine and funny effort, in a real 'classic comedy' sense.

Another actress who changed screen names after already having long established herself and her career was Jacqueline Wells, who switched and became 'Julie Bishop.' Again, I have a tendency to refer to her in her former name. She had a pretty long and decent career, ranging from early-30s serials to playing opposite Bob Cummings in the "My Hero" sitcom of the early-1950s. I have a vhs of an old, obscure B-film she headlined, entitled "The Frame Up" (1937-Columbia), which I need to dig out and re-watch. Been a long time.

Having brought up the issue of the survival rate of Wally Wales' silent westerns released by Artclass (Weiss Brothers), I decided to check the LoC database, and it does turn out that two examples do survive in complete form: "Galloping On" (1925) and "Riding Rivals" (1926). The LoC has copies of both. There might also be some one-reel abridgements around as well, which I seem to recall encountering. In fact, I think "Galloping On" might be one of them, but they might also include examples from Artclass' two other silent-cowboy stars, Buffalo Bill Jr. (Jay Wilsey) and Buddy Roosevelt. Now, after Wales ended with Artclass, he had his films released through Pathe, and a few of these also survive, like "Desperate Courage" (1928) and "The Cyclone Cowboy" (1927). Only one Wales silent I know of, "Desert of the Lost" (1927) commonly circulates in collectors' hands. It's also very possible, if not likely, that the production team during the Artclass and Pathe films were one and the same, and it was just a switch of the distributor. Because all the Wales, Buffalo Bill Jr., and Buddy Roosevelt series seemed to follow the same pattern. All those fly-by-night, low-budget producers are sometimes hard to pin down... Aywon, Rayart, Anchor, Goodwill, Davis, Arrow, etc., etc., and folks like William Pizor and Robert J. Horner, and their zero-budget affairs. Whew. A real crazy-quilt. But immensely fascinating to me. Talk about when filmmaking was such a barnstorming, independent, seat-of-the-pants effort.

Jeff Flugel, Gary OS and Bob Gu like this.
  9. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Lorna Gray (the name she's listed under on IMDB) died last year just three months before her 100th birthday! I remember the first thing I saw her in was the "Captain America" serial (1944) at an all-night screening of the entire serial at a convention sometime in the mid-1970s. She plays a sharpshooting Asst. to the D.A. and when two thugs come after her when she leaves her office, she drops her purse to reveal a gun and shoots them both dead. The crowd went nuts. She's great as an Indian woman in ROCK ISLAND TRAIL (1950), opposite Forrest Tucker, another excellent Republic Trucolor western.

Jeff Flugel, Bob Gu, Gary OS and 2 others like this.
  10. Bert Greene

Oh, yes. Lorna Gray is a consistently pleasing presence in serials. She even gets something of a lead in "Daughter of Don Q" (1946). And being blessed with a long life, she was around to attend several film festivals, where in addition to signing photos for folks, she used to hand out colorful paper sheets comprised of poems written by her late husband, actor David Brian. I still have a couple of these around here somewhere. Mr. and Mrs. Brian were good friends of Roy and Dale, too, by the way.

Jeff Flugel, Bob Gu and Gary OS like this.
  11. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Lorna Gray (as Adrian Booth) is terrific in Republic's VALLEY OF THE ZOMBIES. Her banter with Robert Livingston is reminiscent of a B-movie version of "The Thin Man". I think this is one of the Republic films that has been restored by Paramount and will hopefully see some sort of Blu-ray or DVD release in the future.

12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    tumblr_ng71t4AQr51r2w8eqo1_500.

The Ranger's cut scene from TRAIL OF ROBIN HOOD. (Just kidding!)
    christmas-comics-lone-ranger.

13. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    52 pages--for 10 cents! Can you beat that?

14. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    They did have 64 pagers for a dime:

9fw7fa. 1047221.
    Getting back to westerns: MATT SAVAGE: Trail Boss, was DC Comics answer to TV's RAWHIDE, in 1959. The Matt Savage interior art was drawn by Gil Kane and the covers by Carmine Infantino. Savage looked like a cross between Eric Fleming and John Wayne in RED RIVER.

ms77.

ms84.

Back to Roy and Christmas:
    83b0cc9c03d96c3b0d2248e5101ad407.
    724353326326_500W_500H.

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Thanks, Bob! Great pics for Christmas!!

Jeff Flugel, Bob Gu and Bert Greene like this.
  16. Message #256 of 276 Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    That Roy Rogers ad in Post #254 was painted by John Falter, one of The Saturday Evening Post cover artists. Falter usually had a Christmas cover every year. Later he painted historical and western subjects.

76+-+December+6,+1952.
    92+-+December+24,+1955.
    post-1957-12-28_3_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1_1.
    aaa-1.
    GRIT is showing, THE GOLDEN STALLION- 1949..Trucolor and full-length, again, on Saturday morning Dec 29, 1:30 AM to 3:00 AM.

the-golden-stallion.
    GOLDEN STALLION is a nice, heart warming Roy-Trigger story. The last time we talked about STALLION, I forgot to mention that I liked the performance of Douglas Evans, as the head smuggler. I especially liked the scene where he calculated how long Roy would stay in prison. Very matter of fact and business like. No mustache twirling or gloating, over getting Roy out of the way.
    douglas-evans-big.

Evans had a lot of small roles in movies and TV. This role is the biggest part I ever noticed him in.
    s-l10004.
    s-l1000.

Evans was also in Roy's NORTH OF THE GREAT DIVIDE-1950, Trucolor, as the head Mountie.
    North of the great divide 1.
    s-l300.

Note the tinted lobby cards and poster show the Mounties wearing red jackets. In the actual film, and in reality, at that time, the everyday Mountie uniform jackets were brown. The red jackets were worn during special events, then, and in present times.

harvester-farms-chatsworth-california-6-638.
    harvester-farms-chatsworth-california-5-638.

17. Bert Greene

Love those comic-book covers! Actually, my introduction to Roy Rogers (as well as Gene Autry) came via some old, second-hand issues of the comic-book titles. My grandparents knew of my young addiction to 'funny books,' and being avid patrons of flea-markets and garage sales, often purchased little stacks of old comics for me. Accumulated a lot of titles and examples that well pre-dated me, and developed a fond nostalgia for a lot of it. Had several Dell 'Roy Rogers' comics before I ever saw one of his movies on tv, which came later, when I was about 12 years old or so.

"Matt Savage, Trail Boss" I recall being fairly above-par, having encountered a small handful of stories, as reprinted in some early-1970s DC Giants, as well as a couple of original issues of "Western Comics." Which reminds me, how I was always disappointed that the once-busy line of DC Archives reprint books never got around to any western fare. I'd always hoped they might at least tackle Pow Wow Smith, especially with Carmine Infantino's artwork at his most stylistic. Or maybe Johnny Thunder, or The Nighthawk, not to mention, the older and more super-hero themed The Vigilante, from the 1940s.

I have a copy of one of DC's "Dale Evans" comics (circa 1949), and although the artwork doesn't remotely capture Evans' likeness (she could just as easily pass for Reno Browne), there's still something quite agreeable about the whole endeavor. The comic also includes a story of "Sierra Smith, Western Detective," as drawn by Alex Toth. Also a contemporary western, like the Evans stories. I love those old 52-page DC's from the late-40s/early-50s. Also have a "Jimmy Wakely" and an "Alan Ladd" comic from this same era. Nifty stuff. I'd love to collect such fare if it weren't so darned expensive. I've had a few of these things for decades, bought when they were far, far cheaper. As for Dale Evans, when her comic title switched over to Dell (alongside her hubby's), the artwork seemed to resemble her much better, and usually tossed in some nice photo shots on the front, back, and inside-covers. Really nice, crisp artwork in the two issues I have. Russ Manning, I think.

18. Message #258 of 276 Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    My earliest memory of Gene Autry was getting up, while everyone else was still asleep, on Saturday mornings to watch his TV show, at the crack of dawn. It was shown with the Army documentary series, THE BIG PICTURE. I don't think I saw an actual Gene Autry movie until PBS started showing them, with introductions with Sunset Carson, and MATINEE AT THE BIJOU. Was that the 80s? Now I have Autry's whole film/TV output, on DVD, thanks to Image and Timeless/Shout!.

Roy and Dale's TV series was on for many moons every Saturday back to back with SKY KING. I have about half THE ROY ROGERS SHOW on the Mill Creek 150 sets. I have never tried to track down the rest of them or record them from Retro TV stations. I have all his Republic starring movies in one form or another. A local station did show some of his movies around 1970. Then nothing until VHS.

I had this particular lunch box:
    s-l1000.
    Dale Evans Queen of the West covers and some Russ Manning art:

DaleEvans006-001.
    Western-Roundup-13-40.
    RoyRoger144-014.
    queen Dale Evans 6p.
    queen Dale Evans 18p.
    Western-Roundup-20-92.
    22207110_2.

daleevans_merge-13-18.

7177f57b32c6e745119f776dcdce378f_xl.

Hey, Bert, I had to look up Reno Browne:

1064682-reno_browne__hollywood_s_greatest_cowgirl_52.
    untitled.
    renobrowne_shadowsofwest.

Jeff Flugel, ponset, Gary OS and 2 others like this.
  19. Bert Greene

You're killing me, Bob! All that enticing imagery makes me want to reactivate my long-dormant comic collecting hobby. But my pocketbook insists I not.

When Olive released "The Vampire's Ghost" (1945) on blu a little over a year ago, I had wistful hopes they might follow it up with "Valley of the Zombies" (1946) and "The Lady and the Monster" (1944). Maybe "The Catman of Paris" (1946) too, although that one never did much for me. But 2018 zipped by, and we got absolutely nothing in that vein from Olive. Coupled with Kino's apparent dissatisfaction with the sales of both the Rogers westerns and the Republic serials, all this has left me feeling pretty glum over the Blu-ray landscape.

20. Message #260 of 276 Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Well, Bert, for comics, I am content for the covers and interior artwork I can find online, and sites devoted to particular artists or places like comicbookplus.com, which has many of the Dell TV comics, along with many other companies.

Although I would like to get the limited run book on the western comic strip, LANCE, by Warren Tufts. I hope it sells out before I weaken.
    lance_cover_470x_18986dc3-b331-44e5-9dbf-7c97b468e5f6_470x.

Here is an upload of the comic book tie-in for the Republic Trucolor, SINGING GUNS: comicbookplus.com/?dlid=72955

It's a very interesting upload since it uploads the printed color pages along with some of the original artwork pages.

389a2e84cb4623e7d3cdd6ff218bb3eb.