What's new

Roxy Music - Avalon SACD - Thumbs Up (1 Viewer)

Emil Stoica

Second Unit
Hello guys and gals,

For those looking forward to this release, I will say you will not be disappointed. Once again, Amazon.fr comes through. If you have been thinking about getting this disc, do not hesitate. It is an excellent stereo release and the multi-channel version is even better than DSOTM. If EMI keeps up all these SACD releases, I have to get another job.

For my review, visit this link

Up next is Spandau Ballet - True. :emoji_thumbsup:

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I ordered my copy a couple of days ago from Amazon.fr. I just hope it doesn't take a month to get.

Oh by the way, Emil, can you tell me how much I paid for this disc since I don't speak French, I ain't got a clue. :D

Michael_T

Second Unit
Mine is on it's way from amazon.fr.

My suggestion is that if you can, order more than one item when you order from amazon.fr. A friend of mine and I pooled our order - so I ordered 2 copies of Avalon - one for him and one for me - and the price came out to (with shipping) $20.00 US.

When I ordered Deep Purple "Machine Head" from amazon.fr I only ordered that and it came out to $26.00. Then when I wanted a European version of Peter Gabriel "UP" on SACD, my friend and I again pooled our order - 2 copies of UP, 1 copy of Machine Head (for my friend), and the 3 discs came out to $18.20 per disc.

So buy as many discs as you want, or wait until you can order more than one disc and you will save money.

Regardless, my copy of "Avalon" is on it's way and should be in my mailbox this week. I am trembling in anticipation.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I hope you're right Emil. Last time I had the record out, it was showing it's age with more ticks tha I'd like to hear. Best wishes!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I can't seem to find the Avalon SACD on the Amazon.fr site. They just have the cd version.

When I look for SACD's, Avalon is not one of them.

Can anyone give me the direct link in?

Thanx!

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Thanx,

I ordered the 6/24/03 Avalon and also the Deep Purple Machine Head SACD.

Came to $34 EURO or $39 US bucks with shipping.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Just followed the link and there were only three left in stock... uh, make that two! ;)

(Hope it really is the SACD, and it seems real likely considering amazon.fr is pairing it with the "Machine Head" import SACD in their little "better together" buy-2 promo.)

Michael_T

Second Unit
Mine showed today - and it is definitely the SACD.

Sounds great (stereo and surround), and what a surround mix. Not for the faint of heart. :D

Aggressive surround mix - which I love.

They even took one song - the instrumental India - for which they only had the 2-channel master (as the multi tracks were missing for this song only) and made a very convincing MCH mix. Now if Silverline would only take note that it is quite possible to make a very good sounding (albiet aggressive) MCH mix from only a 2-channel source; if they did that I might consider buying Silverline DVD-A discs.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I think Amazon.fr sent me an email today saying my order has shipped but I can't read French:D .

Can't wait to hear this mix.

Does the SACD come thru UPS or Post Office?

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered a copy from amazon.fr Can't wait to hear it. Two related discs that I would love to hear on SACD would be 801 Live and Bryan Ferry's In Your Mind. The first is, in my opinion, the best engineering for a live record that I have ever heard. The second is just so in your face it takes the breath away. Just listen to the first track.

Michael_T

Second Unit
Does the SACD come thru UPS or Post Office?
If you select regular shipping, like I do, it comes via the Post Office once it reaches the US. It generally takes about 1 full week from the date the items ship (via regular shipping) to reach my home.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Gary, I have a flawless copy of that 801 album. I played it a couple of months ago. Well, we can wish that it could be released!:)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Received my copy of Avalon a few days ago and the Surround Mix is stunning.

This one will be getting lots of play around here.

Thanks everyone for directing me to the right site. :D

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
My copy from the U.K. Amazon site got here in three days (regular mail), so the gods must have known I was anxious to receive this.

If you're reading this thread to see whether or not the new import SACD of Avalon is worth the extra bucks, stop right now and RUN to place an order. Don't take a chance that you'll have time to pick it up whenever, because SACDs don't always stay in print "over there." (Bryan Ferry's own Frantic is a good example.)

This has become one of my required demo discs. Aside from being one of my Top 5 favorite recordings, the sound on this new release is amazing. The clarity and distinctiveness of the instruments is actually so good that it's a little disconcerting at first -- but only in the sense that your ears immediately sense something different and that forces you to take note of the music all over again. And of course, with something like Avalon that's a good thing! Though 20+ years old, this is an album that is perfect for 5.1 audio.

I'm still jumping because of how good this release is. What a huge (and pleasant) surprise! Don't wait to pick this up.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

P.S.

In case it hasn't been mentioned, this is a multi-channel hybrid disc. I don't think it's relevant, but it's also marked as being an HDCD title. And the bonus cut (Bryan Ferry's "Always Unknowing") is available only on the DSD layer; CD-only players won't be able to access it.

Michael_T

Second Unit
And the bonus cut (Bryan Ferry's "Always Unknowing") is available only on the DSD layer; CD-only players won't be able to access it.
Just to add - the bonus cut is ONLY available on the MCH DSD layer, so stereo only SACD players won't be able to access it either. You must play the disc in MCH to hear this track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks