Rowing machines...how effective are they?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Leonard, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

We recently ordered a rowing machine which was delivered to our house yesterday. After putting it together ("easy-to-assemble"...yeah, right), I decided to give it a go.
    I used it for a half-hour and certainly felt like I got quite a bit of exercise afterwards. To any of those who own/use rowing machines, my questions are:
    1) What areas of the body does the machine work?
    2) Is it a worthwhile machine to continue exercise on?
    3) What is a good workout schedule? (ie, with each use, do I try to go another mile, etc.)
    I should note that I'm trying to improve my upper body here(arms specifically)...and maybe shave a half-inch off my stomach and sides. [​IMG]
    I also have a home gym as well as some dusty freeweights. To improve the areas I specified, what would you suggest? Do a little of each three, or put emphasis on a certain one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Hey Kevin,
    I love the row machine. I dont have one, but i use one at the gym.
    The rowing machine will do wonders for your upper back, biceps and rear deltoids!
    If you want to lose inches, there is no substitute for a good aerobic workout!
    Get on the tread mill or something that raises your heart rate for about 45 minutes. I know it seems like a long time, but you can start off at about 20 and work yourself up from there.
    Drink plenty of fluids and eat a healthy meal at least an hour or more before working out.
    Suplemental vitamins will help also.
    For your arms, good old curls will do the trick for your biceps.
    Bent over one arm rows for your back, biceps, and rear delts
    shoulder shrugs for your Trap's
    Military presses for your Delt's
    And tricep extensions for your triceps.
    Woohoo, there are alot [​IMG]

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    How effective are they? Not very. I mean seriously, I've seen people use them for an hour and not move forward an inch! [​IMG]
    Adam

4. Kevin Leonard

Henry,
    Thanks for all the advice! By the way, what are "shoulder shrugs?" I've got a faint idea of what that might be, but for all I know, I could be totally offbase.
    Adam,
    Boy, I just set myself up for that one, didn't I? [​IMG]

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona

6. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Yeah, shoulder shrugs rock. I was a free weight freak in high school. I played soccer, so was big on squats, and heel lifts (if that's even what you call 'em) for the calfs. I been thinking about getting a new set here soon, maybe a machine.... nah, free weights man! I could shed some belly inches too, but absolutely freakin' hate situps. Aerobic stuff? I guess I'll have to find somethin' that works for me there.
    Good luck Kevin. I think I'll be joining in soon here. I kinda got the bug.
    "I am Hans" "und I am Franz"
    "Und vee are here to pump you up!"
    "Yaaaa" [​IMG]

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Henry,

I thought the rowing machine's primary focus was as an aerobic excersize machine. At least that's what my PT at the gym told me. I like to use the rowing machine instead of treadmills or some other knee-unfriendly aerobic excersize.

8. Lary Larson

Lary Larson Stunt Coordinator

I own a Concept2 Indoor Rower. I got it because it's one of the most complete exercises I could find. It gives a great impact-free aerobic workout, but also works your arms, legs, abs, back, ass. Other aerobic exercise will work some of those groups, but I didn't find anything else that worked so much at once with so little stress on your body. Check out the Concept2 link - there's a lot of information there on rowing in general.
    Lary

9. Kevin Leonard

Thanks Lary, that gave link gave me a lot of what I was looking for, information-wise.

And thanks again Henry for chiming in. I'll have to try out those shoulder shrugs on my next workout.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I dont know about your rowing machine but most are setup where if you pull harder it supplies more resistance. If yours is this way there is a lot of workouts you can do while you are working on your Cardio fitness. If you pull with palms down you will be working more of your back & Lats, rear deltoids, and the outside of your biceps. Now you can also just pull high (say to your chin) and then you will be working more on your upper back, lower works more of your lower back. Turn your hands Palms up and you will get a better Bicep workout, etc. Most people dont do well on rowing machines if they are really pushing themselves since it is working your arms which gets your heart rate going a lot faster. To put it lightly rowing machines can kick your ass... Wait a minute that doesnt make sense... You can kick your own ass by using a rowing machine [​IMG]
    KyleS

11. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

The only problem I've ever had with our rowing machine is that you actually have to USE it for it to be effective!!!! [​IMG]

12. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona
    Your absolutely correct Philip, and i guess i should have explained that there are at least two kinds, or one kind with different settings.
    You can indeed use it at a light setting or one that enables you to "row" for a certain length of time for an aerobic workout.
    Or, use one with adjustable tension or weights for muscle building excercises.
    PS-Dont pay too much attention to those PT's, theyre paid alot to do paper work [​IMG]
    *Henry's wife just smacked him in the head*
    [​IMG]