What's new

Rowan Atkinson Question.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Anyone know if he's currently filming any movies or TV shows? I've been told that one of the better ways to get in contact with celebrities, is if you write to them on the set of their current project.

During the night, I had an idea for a new Mr.Bean sketch that I am currently writing, and I'd love to register it with the copyright offices of the states so I could send it to him to get his opinion. It'd also be a great hoot to interview him for my website as I'm a long time Mr.Bean fan.

If anyone from England has any info on his current projects, and perhaps even an address I could use or an agents addrress, most appreciated :).

The current working Title of the script is, Mr.Bean goes to Show. It's tougher to come up with original funny bits than one would think :).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Currently @ Disney, doing re-voice overs for Lion King 1 1/2 as well as menu voices, AFAIK.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm, you wouldn't happen to have an address for the project by any chance, would you? I doubt I could reach him before he finishes, as voice over work generally dosn't take that long to complete, but it's worth a shot..

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I doubt you'd be able to register a copyright of a work using the character of "Mr. Bean" which is presumably copyrighted by Atkinson himself. In fact, you might receive a cease-and-desist letter from Mr. Atkinson's attorney.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I doubt you'd be able to register a copyright of a work using the character of "Mr. Bean" which is presumably copyrighted by Atkinson himself.>>

Hmm, I thought that a written material peice had t obe submitted to someone either via agent, or copyrighted first, otherwise the recipient probably wouldn't even look at it..

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
But I don't think you can copyright intellectual property that makes use of someone else's intellectual property.

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure Malcolm and Ricardo are correct, but I'm not a lawyer... nor do I play one on TV. :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

You're half right. Most people/studios/other show biz entities will not read a script unless it is submitted by a reputable agent. This protects them from the threat of subsequent lawsuits in the event that - in this case - there is already a "Bean" sketch in the works that resembles your idea. The Hollywood studios will sometimes accept a script if you provide a release form to them first.

"Copyrighting" (that is, actually registering the copyright) protects you from having your work stolen, by establishing the date of authorship, but doesn't protect the person you send the script to, so they're apt to return it unopened for their own protection. Registering a script with the Writers Guild of America (for a project you're trying to sell in the U.S.) makes a little more sense, but costs money. (In fact you own the copyright to any work as soon as it exists in tangible form. You do not have to register the work first, or do anything else. As long as it exists on paper or as a computer file copyright is established. Proving the date that a work was created can be trickier, but with original works is not a problem unless you've put the work in a position where others have the opportunity to copy it and have not taken steps to establish proof of authorship like mailing copies to a lawyer for filing or having a number of people read the work.)

All of the above applies mostly to original work. Even though you did not create the character of Mr. Bean, you would still own the copyright to your individual Bean sketch - but you wouldn't have the right to publish it or to have it produced unless it was actually bought by whoever owns the rights to Mr. Bean. (Which may or may not be Atkinson.) If "Bean" were on on-going TV series currently in production you could submit a spec script, through an agent, to the production company. Since it isn't and it isn't clear who owns the character, you're in a bit of a pickle.

I suppose you could try to contact Atkinson's agent, and find out if there is a waiver form you can sign to cover a sketch submission. You can probably get the contact information for his (U.S.) agent by contacting The Screen Actor's Guild:

5757 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036-3600
(323) 954-1600 Main Switchboard

He's been in enough U.S. productions that I'm sure he's been forced to join by now. :) If not they should be able to direct you to their U.K. counterparts and you can get the info you need there.

Disclaimer: I am also not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I've had occassion to read up on the script submission process in the U.S. and on plaigirism lawsuits in Hollywood. :)

Regards,

Joe

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
On a somewhat-related note, is Atkinson even still doing the Bean sketches anymore? I kinda thought that era was over.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd rather see him revisit Blackadder, a far funnier show than 'Bean', IMO. It'd be cool to see him back with Tony Robinson, Hugh Laurie, Steven Fry, etc, particularly if they could get Richard Curtis and Ben Elton to co-write again.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Well, Mr. Atkinson seems to be getting over his depression. According to The Sun "MR BEAN star Rowan Atkinson is to play evil Lord Voldemort in the next Harry Potter movie.

He is set to become the wizard’s arch enemy in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire."

Unfortunately for Neil, it doesn't sound like he has much interest in "Mr. Bean" at the moment:

"According to a Hollywood source, 'It’s a very major career change for Rowan. He has been looking to spread his wings and branch out into other roles. He doesn’t want to be the nice guy or the rubber-faced chap forever.'"

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks