What's new

Routing TV Audio through an AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Currently I have the audio from my cable programming passing from the cable box straight into my AV Receiver, along with the S-Video Picture.
In order to use the (very cool) PIP modes on the Sony 36 XBR450 that I have, AND have the sound from the selected video source (digital cable OR the TV's own tuner) come through my HT speakers, I'll need to run Audio cables INTO my TV from my cable box, and then OUT from my TV into the receiver.
Will this screw up the sound? Anyone else do something similar?
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I might well be mistaken , but I don't believe you will be able to use the PIP function when you coming out of a cable box. You are limited to only one channel of access, whichever you are tuned to at the moment. This has been my experience with satellite. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Let me clarify by saying I have split the cable signal from the wall, sending one end to my digital cable box so I can get the "scrambled" channels, and the other end to my TV.
PIP works great, except that when I switch to the ANT IN on my TV, I have to use the TV's speakers for sound. Of course, I can't tune scrambled channels in on the TV's ANT, but that's OK.
I want the sound to come from my HT speakers, so I'll have to route the sound from the TV's AUDIO OUT through the receiver.
What I'd like to know is if anyone has done this, or if EVERYONE just sends the sound from their cable box to the receiver directly.
------------------
"You advance yourself only by my good graces."

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Chris,
I run a set of composite cables from my TV's audio out to my receiver which seems to work just fine. Keep in mind though that whatever audio settings (Bass, Treble, etc.) you have setup in your TV will affect the output from your receiver.
------------------
sig.jpg

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
Tom you are right, with sat the only way I know is to buy to receivers to get PIP, for local channels i got cable and I can watch PIP with local and sat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks