What's new

Routing Dolby Vision Around Receiver (1 Viewer)

Brklyn

Auditioning
Real Name
Hudson
Hey everyone,

I have a Yamaha RX-V381. I thought I was future proofing myself with this purchase a year ago but I'm finding out that it does not have support for Dolby Vision (from what I've been able to confirm) and has actually been discontinued.

I have various components in my home theater setup. One of them is a UBP-x700 BluRay player. The player is equipped to handle Dolby Vision and so is my TV (OLED C7).

There is an option to split the video (HDMI) from the player directly to the TV and the audio (HDMI) directly to the receiver. In theory, this should allow the TV to display the Dolby Vision and my receiver to process the HD audio. The issue I'm having, is that my TV is reverting to its motion blur setting, or soap opera effect, when in this setup and I can't figure out why or how to change it.

Anyone else been through a similar situation? Or have any advice on the most efficient way to access Dolby Vision with this setup?

Thanks much in advance.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hudson,

You will need to re-do your picture settings for each HDMI input. Have you switched to the input you're using from the UBP-x700 when it's not powered on and applied your picture settings?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some displays also keep different settings for SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision on the same input -- my Vizio M70-D3 does this. In order to input my calibration settings for Dolby Vision, I had to actually be playing something encoded in DV on the display at the time I entered the settings. While this may seem like an odd requirement, it's actually quite clever once you know about it. I have everything running through my Denon receiver and then to a single input on my Vizio display. I never have to change settings on the Vizio, as it automatically changes to the settings I have input for SDR, HDR10 and DV based on the format it's receiving. Pretty cool. :cool:

Brklyn

Auditioning
Real Name
Hudson
Hudson,

You will need to re-do your picture settings for each HDMI input. Have you switched to the input you're using from the UBP-x700 when it's not powered on and applied your picture settings?

Thanks for the reply. I have actually gone through and turned off LG's TruMotion on all inputs. The UBP-x700 has a setting for Dolby Vision that you have to turn on to use. So I'll be on the same input with DV turned off on the player, and no motion interpolation. But when I go and turn the DV setting on in the player settings, and start the same movie, on the same input, and even check the TV's setting again showing that TruMotion is off, I get motion interpolation. And I can't find any specific motion setting on the player itself.

Brklyn

Auditioning
Real Name
Hudson
Some displays also keep different settings for SDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision on the same input -- my Vizio M70-D3 does this. In order to input my calibration settings for Dolby Vision, I had to actually be playing something encoded in DV on the display at the time I entered the settings. While this may seem like an odd requirement, it's actually quite clever once you know about it. I have everything running through my Denon receiver and then to a single input on my Vizio display. I never have to change settings on the Vizio, as it automatically changes to the settings I have input for SDR, HDR10 and DV based on the format it's receiving. Pretty cool. :cool:

That is a pretty handy feature. When I've turned the DV setting active on my player and begin the movie, I've gone into the TV settings and it shows that TruMotion is already set to off. So I'm kind of at a loss on this one. :blink:

Brklyn

Auditioning
Real Name
Hudson
I have. The player just recently updated to allow Dolby Vision. Sony's support has been less then enthusiastic about helping me with the issue. LG (TV) told me that the setting or issue would have to be coming from the player since the setting is off on the TV and the TV is simply acting as a monitor for the content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks