routing bass output from amp to multiple speakers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by vin_naid, Jan 18, 2004.

1. vin_naid

vin_naid Auditioning

Hello

I have a dvd player with amplified 5.1 outputs, but only 5 hi-fi speakers (each of which has its own subwoofer). I have the 5 amplified satellite outputs from the dvd players routed to the 5 speakers. The problem is that the sound going to the speakers only contains mid and high frequencies sounds, and I'm currently hearing no bass at all. (This is understandable seeing that the dvd amp would filter the bass away for the satellites.) What is the safest way that I can split the amplified subwoofer output from the dvd player amongst the 5 speakers as well, so that I can get some bass from them ? (taking into account impedence, power, etc..)

Please assist !! .. I really don't want to go out and have to purchase a separate subwoofer just to hear some bass, when there are already 5 perfectly good ones in the room which will just be wasted !!

My dvd player provides 5 x 35 watts satellite output, and 50 watts subwoofer output. My 5 hi-fi speakers are rated at 40 watts each.

Thank You

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Is there a setup procedure where you tell the DVD-Amp what your speaker setup is? If so, can you set the 5 speakers to "large" and sub-woofer to "none"?

That's how this would work with a normal HT receiver.

3. vin_naid

vin_naid Auditioning

Many Thanks for the reply.

I don't seem to have that option ..

Is there any safe way that I can wire the system to split the subwoofer output ? .. it seems like such a waste of 50 watts ! .. what if I route 5 cables from the subwoofer output and lead each one to one of the speakers ? (note: each speaker will then have 2 cables input ..)
    Would that work ?

Regards

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    ...I'm guessing that what you are calling a "subwoofer" is actually a "woofer" - the larger speaker in a two-or three-way system.

We might be able to offer more assistance if you let us know the make and model of your system, or provide a link.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. John S

John S Producer

Please let us know the make and model of all the equipment.

There may be some decetn solutuon for you, but I have no clear picture of what your telling us you have is all.

6. vin_naid

vin_naid Auditioning

Thanks guys.

The dvd player that I am using is an LG (model LH-D6430). It provides 35W x 5 for the satellite speakers and 50W for the subwoofer. The speakers that I am using: 5 three-way Technics SB hi-fi speakers .. each rated at 40W .. (each having a 10" woofer).

I did manage to find the LARGE/SMALL speaker option in my DVD setup menu, but it is disabled ! .. the option is fixed at "SMALL" for the 5 satellite speakers.

Regards

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    It can't be changed to "Large?" Then look for a subwoofer option - one that says "Subwoofer Yes" or "No." Switching it to "No" will probably allow you to set your mains to "Large." This will take care of your "no bass" problem.

8. John S

John S Producer

If you had 6 speakers, I would say just hook on of them up to it... better'n nothing anyways.

other wise, you need to figure out how to get the system to let you set your speakers to large. If not, then go on a hunt, for some cheap used speaker with a 12" or 15" driver or something I guess is your only real option.

On those speakers you can't just take away the bass driver from the three way setup. You just can't do it that way.