Router With Msn Messenger...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Murphy, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Hey there, I've been trying to figure out how i can send files over msn again since i've installed a new linksys router. I know that when winxp's integrated firewall is turned on i can't send files, but i can easily turn it off if i would like to send something. So i'm generally suspecting it's the built in firewall in the router, does anybody know if there is a way to get around this or am I hooped? [​IMG] Thanx!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have an SMC router, and from what i've read, its impossible to be protected by its firewall function and use MSN at the same time.

You COULD try setting your computer in the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) which will leave your computer vulnerable. Im not sure if this will work or not though

3. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Hey thanx NickSo! I found how to access the DMZ, and it seems it should do what i want it to, that way i can just have a software firewall running instead, not as safe i'm aware, but nothing really i fear! hehe!

4. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I now use Trillian and I'm able to use MSN for file transfer, while I wasn't when I still used the MS client. You might try it out.

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Yeah. You're much safer using Trillian than putting your PC on the DMZ.

6. Nick_Murphy

Nick_Murphy Agent

Yeah, trillian does sound like a good idea! The other question I have now is when putting a computer on the DMZ, will my isp be able to detect that as a second computer? The main reason i'm asking is because i'm currently running 3 pc's, in which my isp only allows 1-2. So instead of showing 1 ip, will it show 2?

7. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried updating the linksys' firmware? If not give that a try as I think they have worked on the msn thing...not positive though.

If you put your PC in the DMZ I am pretty sure your ISP will not be able to tell...you should still only have one IP (therefor it appears to only be one PC) as far as they are concerned.

Good luck.