Router problem? What is going on?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CRyan, Nov 13, 2003.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Hey. I have been using the same wirless router (D-Link) for over a year. A few months ago my Comcast internet was going slow, and I was having to unplug and replug the modem and router constantly to get a connection. Web pages were still taking forever to come in and almost never would fully resolve. Very irritating. I swore it was a Comcast problem.

Now I have moved to another part of the city and the problem continued - I was hoping that was to fix it. So I finally got the idea to hook my computer to the modem directly (no router). It was fast again.

I decided to go and buy a new Toshiba wirless router and it worked great. So what happenned? Did my router just die? Why was it working at all? I mean it was slow as hell but something was working. The Toshiba is working fast both wirelessly and directly connected. Actually getting a 1.2 Mbps connection which I never got through the D-Link.

I did try resetting the D-link several times and did work fast for about 5 hours. Then shitty again.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Could have been a bad router, someone could have been flooding your router(which would have caused connection to be lost/slow).
    Did you have any other people try the router that use other services?

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Did you ever try to load the latest firmware into the router? Might have helped in case it was some bug in older firmware.

4. Gregory Maier

Gregory Maier Auditioning

depending on the router age i would recommend the firmware upgrade if one is available. if your on Cable thru you cable TV company it is node based so if your neighborhood is full of on-liners then you share banwith with them but you mentioned plugging directly into modem was faster i'd assume one of two things:
    1. Needs firmware upgrade or..
    2. Router took a poop on ya.

sorry

Gregory A. Maier