What's new

Router Help....D-Link DI-604 (1 Viewer)

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
have a question hopefully someone here could help me out with...

I purchased a D LI DI-604 router today to use with my DSL connection. I am having a problem. I hooked up the router to the dsl modem and the comptuer went through the set up wizard and everything checked out ok...

no when i go to open up IE to view a webpage, it just hangs and after about 10 seconds brings up a cannot display webpage error...

any ideas what could be causing this.....router related?? or protocol related?? or just me not setting something up right?

I am running this on windows xp pro...

THanks for any help
Alan

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, have you cloned the modem's ip address? When I got my DI-704P that was the step I overlooked. Once I did that everything worked fine for me. Of course it could be something else, but that's what came to mind first.

Hope this helps.

John

Mike Pottr

Auditioning
First of all make sure that the modem is hooked up to the router properly, do you have a link light on both sides, if not check the cable and make sure that your router doesn't have uplink turned on or off when it should be the opposite. If that it isn't it plug the dsl modem into the pc make sure you can connect, once your sure you can. Go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all. Make note of all the address for your network adaptor Ip address gateway dns subnet mast ect, there may be one incorrect. Now hook the router back up and go into and check the dns settings ect and make sure the ones needed by the router match the same ones listed when your pc had connectivity, check the addresses and see if the router pulled down the other settings from your isp and they match or if there are none keeping reading. In not correct the wrong addresses then try rebooting the pc then test for connectivity by going to a web page. If you can't try pinging a ip address by going to the command prompt and type ping 64.58.79.230 (that is a address of yahoo), if it responds but you cannot get to a web page there is a dns issue, double check your addresses again. If you are still having problems your isp may check the mac address and you have to clone, which is what the other response was refering to, some isps register your pc network card address and will only assign an address to that address. Go back and do a another ipconfig /all and make note of the physical address on the adaptor then place that into the mac address cloning option in the dlink. I'm not sure where that is on a dlink only worked with a linksys. Hope that helps.

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
mike thanks for the reply...

this is what i get now when i do an ipconfig /all

this is just my normal connection w/out router hooked up at all...

does that tell you anything...

should i do the same thing after i hook the router back up and compare??

Thanks
Alan

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A0-CC-76-45-44
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.246.79
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

PPP adapter Stargate:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.40.167.29
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 208.40.167.29
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.166.161.121
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
update.....

got everything working...

went to my isp's homepage and there were a few special things i had to do in order for everything to work properly.

up and running fine now...

thanks guys!!

Alan

Alan Erceg

Stunt Coordinator
another problem......

i restarted my computer and had to go back and re-enter all the settings...

anyone know why this is??

THanks again
Alan

Mike Pottr

Auditioning
Glad to hear you got it working, I saw that all your dns settings are under the wan adaptor sorry about that, I am too accustomed to troubleshooting connectivity problems in a enterprise enviroment. As for you losing settings there might be a program ran at startup that is changing them back. Run msconfig from the run menu, and look for stuff related to the dsl, or do a selective startup and see if something runs changes the settings. I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a unwanted program (spyware) changing network settings on boot up. Thats the only thing I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more if I can think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks