What's new

Router for PS2 (1 Viewer)

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure if this should go into the computer hardware section or gaming. I want to play online with my PS2. I currently have a comcast cable modem. my Ps2 and computer are about 10feet apart. I have read that it would be easier to get a router instead of unplugging the cable modem and plugging it inot the ps2 and vice versa. Can someone give me some links to some not too expensive routers that are not pieces of crap? I have found this one one at Best buy(link below)
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...=540&scat=1574
Is this garbage or will it work fine. I do not know anything about routers so pardon my ignorance. Do some routers send the signals faster than others?
Thanks for any help! I really aprreciate it.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Larry,

That one will work. All you'll need then is a couple Cat-5 cables and you will be good to go.

-Dean-

Andre F

Screenwriter
I use this and have been for a few years now. I have four PC's hooked up to it now. My plan is to integrate wireless into the system after the online stuff for the various systems has been out for a while. I will however do more research and see if its a better idea to run the cat-5 down to the living room (that will be quite a job though...but security is always important). Anyway, any cable/dsl type of router should do you fine.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
Andre, Im in the same boat as you. Currently I use the same router, and run a 50foot cat-5 cable from my office to my living room whenever I want to get a system online (its only ever been Xbox, with Gamespy tunnel software). I am planning on doing some slight construction to run cable up the attic and down to my living room creating a "network" jack in the wall with wall plate etc. My only problem is that I have cathedral ceilings in my living room, so running the cable down the wall from the attic will be tough since there is a horizontal stud about halfway bewteen the 2 height.

Andre F

Screenwriter
My only problem is that I have cathedral ceilings in my living room, so running the cable down the wall from the attic will be tough since there is a horizontal stud about halfway bewteen the 2 height
I have roughly the same set up in my living room (it was an add-on before we purchased the house). That's why I'm thinking wireless might be the way to go. I could hook up a wireless router off my wired router and then put a wireless switch or bridge in my living room. I guess then I could I put a cheap wired hub off the switch/bridge and hook up potentially all three systems (I currently have a PS2 and GCN). Anyway, I'm not a networking expert so if anyone has suggestions that would help. :)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I am pretty sure I read on this site that wireless is not a good idea for console gaming. Something about lag. I could be completely wrong and if so I apologise.

Chris

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Christopher, you are correct. While not nearly so bad, the conversion to wireless amounts to some amount of delay (probably 10 ms at the minimum). It may not seem like much, but it can compound into larger delay in some situations. However, its nowhere near what the delay the analog to digital conversion that modems introduce, so you'll still get that broadband feel.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Alex,
In your opinion what types of games would you feel the "lag" the most. FPS, Sports, MMORPG etc? I'm curious because influence the way I go, wired or wireless...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Alex,
Wouldn't the speed of the wireless conversion all depend on the equipment used? I can't image that any modern wireless devices would make a noticable impact on gaming over a broadband connection.

Andre & Larrry,
I'm also planning on using wireless for my gaming consoles. I currently use it for internet access in my house, and I love it. Here's a quick diagram of my network, and how it'll look once I connect the game consoles to it.

Cablemodem -> Netgear RT314 Router
| | |
Apple Airport Printer Old Clunky PC

{wireless LAN}
| | |
Powerbook G3 Powerbook G4 Linksys WET11
wireless bridge
|
Linksys 4 Port Hub
| | | |
GameCube AudioTron ReplayTV PS/2

ACK! Can't format this properly :/ Well, I hope you get the idea.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Andre, keeping in mind the console focus of this thread, here are the games that will be impacted by lag in terms of most affected first and least affected last:
Fighting
Racing/Sims/Sports - depending on the speed/reality, may switch with the next
FPS - prediction code helps out wonders
MMOGs with an FPS feel - tend to be a bit more tactical and less twitchy than FPSs
Action RPGs/MMORPGs
Turn-based RPGs - of course
I don't know if there are any online genres I missed.
Don,
The speed would be dependent on the equipment, but most of the 802.11b seems to be in the 10 to 20 ms range now. The only times when this will have a really big effect would be if it is compounded by other issues. Having borderline performance with a server/opponent could be exasperated with every bit of additional delay. Having other devices competing for the wireless link can contribute to the problem. I wouldn't be particularly worried, however, unless you were a good Street Figher 3 player intending to get every edge you can. For that player, the jump from 40 ms to 60 ms can be tangible. If you're a good Quake 3 player, you probably wouldn't notice unless it bumped you above 100ms.
Not being familiar with the Apple Airport, but is there any chance you could have that replace your Netgear? The Netgear and the Airport are going to be two hops for all your wireless devices. Probably doesn't matter, but may be worthwhile if you detect any tangible delay.
I think you have a great network in your future, though. :emoji_thumbsup:

Andre F

Screenwriter
DonRoeber and Alex,
Thanks for the info. Glad to see the router-->bridge-->hub setup should work. I'm thinking that is the way to go, otherwise I have the run from hell to contend with.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Would be really interested in some latency benchmarks on the completed network, both with direct cable modem connection and the full wireless network.

Nathan A

Second Unit
i recommend going with the Lynksys router mentioned; it's what i use and i've had no problems.

the D-link router can be difficult to configure and their customer service isn't great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation192
Recent bookmarks