Router bits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 24, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I was brousing through previous messages for the basic bits I need for my new router and just wanted to make sure I'm getting the right stuff. I jumped on that Dewalt 621 reconditioned deal Amazon had so I will be getting the DW621 soon. This has 1/2" shank right?

I know I need the 1/4" spiral upcut bit, should I get the 1/2" shank or 1/4" shank? I figure the 1/4" because it has a larger cutting area(1") part #5146.

I'm also planning on getting the 15pc Aniv. kit in 1/2" shank, part #8377. Would this have everything I need to get started?

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,

For the spiral upcut, just get the 1/4" shank. Are you only planning on using the circle jig for building subs? Because if you plan on using it to build bookshelf speakers you'll also need a 1-1/4" diameter straight bit for doing the recesses with the Jasper Jig.

Ummm, you didn't mention who you were planning on ordering these bits from so I can't look at the 15 piece set.

Brian

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Sorry,
    MLCS, they seem to be the talk around here and they also seem to be affordable. I looked at routerbits.com and their bits are over twice as much for the same type bit. why?
    No bookshelf speakers yet. Just the Sonosub and speaker stands for now. I want to use a 45º Chamfer bit for the base and top plate edges.
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...s/set25yr.html

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    Oh,OK that's better![​IMG] That looks like a good set to me. Price looks good too!
    Routerbits.com sells Whiteside bits. I one article I read, their straight bit beat out every other bit tested, in every category. So I imagine their build quality is why they are more expensive. I've used 3 of theirs and love them, but I've also bought from MLCS too. As a matter of fact, I'll probably use them quite a bit considering their prices are so good.
    If I get in a jam it's either the Viper bits at HD, or the Whiteside bits at my local WoodCraft store.
    Brian

5. BrendanL

BrendanL Agent

I just used my MLCS bits last night, I'm making a pair of Adire 281s. They have free shipping and a satisfaction guarantee I believe. I'm happy so far.

6. Brian J Dupuis

Brian J Dupuis Second Unit

I got the 25th anniverary set as well... zero complaints, they are very nice router bits, as far as I can tell.