Router affecting net connection, please help....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jeff*S*C*, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

I hope someone can help me with this because it's been driving me insane. A couple of months ago my net connection all of a sudden became unstable. Every other link I click on shows up "Page not found" almost immediately but if I click reload it shows up. Some pages don't even render right but clicking reload fixes it. This happens in IE, Firefox, and iTunes so it's a general connection problem. I've pinpointed it to the router when I did a direct connection from the modem to my PC and everything works A-OK. The routers firmware is up to date and I can't figure out what's up. Any suggestions?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

more info needed. what router is it etc.

3. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

Oh yeah, forgot about that lol.

Runnin on:

XP SP2
    DLink DI-604 router
    Zone Alarm
    Norton AV

Anything else needed?

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

disable zone alarm and see if yer issues go away, with the router theres no need for a software firewall [​IMG]Also make sure to disable the windows firewall if its not already. Also get a better AV. Norton just isnt all that good and has a habit of taking over machines. I recommend AVG,they have a free version that kicks nortons arse big time. www.grisoft.com [​IMG]

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I would definitely try turning Zone Alarm off. When I used it I found I load it manually because if it auto-loaded on boot-up before the DSL connection had fully initialized I would authenticate to the network, but ZA would block access to the DNS server - rendering URLs pretty much useless. As with AVG over Norton, I'd recommend either XP's built-in firewall or another free product - Sygate Personal Firewalll. Very effective, built-in "Whois" functions without paying the premium required by ZA. One thing you don't want to do is run two firewalls. They can interfere with one another.

Regards,

Joe

6. Jeff*S*C*

Jeff*S*C* Second Unit

ZA is not the culprit.

7. Matthew_V

Matthew_V Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, I know in your last post you said you feel certain it's not ZoneAlarm, but hear me out. What you described in the first post is exactly what my family went through for awhile with the early version of ZoneAlarm 5.x
    I can't remember the exact month, but it was sometime I believe in the middle of last summer that ZoneAlarm went from 4-something to 5.0xxx
    Prior to my family upgrading to ZoneAlarm Security Suite 5.0xxx, everything was working fine. But with 5.0xxx, pages either wouldn't load (until hitting refresh) or else they would only partially reload (until hitting refresh). It literally took many months for ZoneAlarm to address the problem with two or three incremental ZoneAlarm upgrades to see incremental improvements. And now finally with ZoneAlarm versions 5.3xxx and 5.5xxx (the current version) things work perfect.
    As for what Joseph described, that was initially a problem that my family ran into back when we were running one of the 3xxx or 4xxx version of ZoneAlarm and then upgraded from dial-up to cable high speed internet.
    During that period, once we temporarily disabled ZoneAlarm long enough to enter in all the correct router settings (and also switched from dynamically assigned internal IP addresses to internal static IP addresses for our home network -- that also seemed to help a little with this particular problem the one that Joseph brought up), then with very infrequent exceptions, everything worked fine. And then upgrading to ZoneAlarm 5.xx solved that problem (though it also introduced the problems that I mentioned in the beginning of this post which lasted, like I said, until 5.3xx and 5.5xxx were released).
    What version are you running ? And is it ZoneAlarm free, ZoneAlarm Pro, or ZoneAlarm Security Suite ?
    One other thing that I'll mention. If you feel uncertain enough about whether your router is ok, then (if you're not already aware of it) a site that might be of some help is http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all (specifically the forum http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink )

8. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Are you using dsl or cable for internet connection?