What's new

Router advice needed (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I need to get my hands on a router to use to make the driver and internal brace cut outs for a set of 3 Adire kit281s and 2 kit81s. I probably won't need it for much else besides the speakers so I'd prefer to keep it inexpensive. I first found the 2HP Firestorm Plunge Router at Lowes for $69 but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Jasper Jig. I started looking at the routers that are listed on Jasper's site and they all cost about $180 on up. I see that Sears has the Craftsman 1/4 in. Plunge Router for $69 but I've read some bad reviews of their cheaper models. I also found the Ryobi RE180PL at Home Depot for $99.

Will a $70-$100 router work well enough to make the holes I need for 5 speakers or do I need to spend $150-$200 to do the job right?

Thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've made a bunch a speakers with a 1/4" Craftsman plunge router and the Jasper Jig. It works. Now, the depth guage is flimsy. The motor will bog down if you try to cut a lot so make a few passes cutting a little deeper each time. If this is going to be a long-term hobby, then think about spending the money for a 1/2" router with dust collection. With the Craftsman, you will be covered from head to toe in MDF dust.

-Robert

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, you'll look like this if you don't have a dust collection attachment to your router. Ah...good times.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Do yourself a huge favor and spend just slightly more for a Hitachi M12 router (KM12SC - single speed kit with both fixed and plunge bases, M12SC - single speed with just fixed base, KM12VC - variable speed kit with both bases, or M12VC - variable speed with just fixed base). At amazon the variable speed kit runs almost $200, or with just fixed base is $120. The single speed kit is about $120 when in stock, and just $95 with just fixed base. If you can wait for the single speed kit to come back in stock I would go with that, here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

It has both 1/2" and 1/4" collets, soft start, a nice case, fixed base, plunge base, an extra larger base platform, a nice carrying case, etc. It's night and day better than the POS craftsman I'd been using previously. I've not had a time where I needed variable speed, and you can even get away without a plunge base but it's nice to have. Screw jasperjig if it doesn't fit, I use a piece of plexi or 1/4" hard plywood anyways :D

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Thanks for all of the replies. $120 for that Hitachi looks like a pretty good deal. Is that model in stock very often? That Porter Cable model looks like a nice one too. It appears as though I have a little bit of thinking to do about this.

I really want to hurry up and do something. I bought my Adire kits back in 2002 just before going back to school to finish my degree. I finally finished last year (WOO HOO) so my attention drifted back to my speaker kits again. A friend of mine and I spent several hours a few months ago cutting up all of the flat panels for 5 speakers using a table saw. I really thought we had messed the cuts up pretty bad until I took another look at the panels again a few weeks ago. They appear to fit together rather well so I'd like to finally cut out the driver and internal brace holes and get these cabinets built.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
I picked up a Skil brand plunge router locally for $80 and it works quite well. I use a scrap piece of pegboard for a circle jig that works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks