Route ALL equipment through the receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Zemens, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Dave Zemens

Dave Zemens Auditioning

What advantage is there to route all the AV equipment through your receiver? I would be interested in hearing what setups you folks use in this regard.

I currently send my VCR output directly to my TV. Then I route the TV monitor out to the RECEIVER. My DVD runs directly to my RECEIVER with a digitial optical audio, and I run my DVD to the TV with component video cables.

I know it is a basic setup, but is there something simpler?

Dave Zemens

Rochester, Michigan

2. Myram

Myram Second Unit

You will get your best video quality if you run everything directly to the TV. The only advantage to going thru the receiver is if you have 1 S-video input on the TV and you have like 5-6 components that need S-video inputs, then you could use your receiver as the "hub" and put the monitor out to the TV's 1 input.

I have my VCR and Digital Cable box going straight to the TV using S-video, and my DVD player and PS2 direct to the TV using Component cables.....that way I am getting the best quality video.

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I have all of my components (DVD, VCR, Digital Cable, CD) running through my receiver and I love it. As far the video components go, it makes it easy to switch between video sources: one button on my receiver remote now instead of three or four spread across several remotes (i.e. rotating through video inputs on the TV, changing audio sources on the receiver). Obviously, one button functionality can also be accomplished through macros on universal remotes but I don't have one yet. Plus, that's one less macro to write.

4. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

If you everything directly to the tv - how do you route the sound portion to the receiver to gain the "surrond" effect?

5. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Its 'wife-friendly'

I have a straight TV cable connection, no decoder. Therefore,

I have the cable service connected to the VCR and use the

TV 'monitor' only.

Video:

Cable TV > VCR

Pan PV-D4741 VCR > converter > receiver (via S-video)

Pan PV-D4741 DVD > receiver (via S-video)

Yam HTR-5280 RECV > Sony WEGA (via S-video)

Audio:

Pan PV-D4741 VCR > receiver (via analog cable)

Pan PV-D4741 DVD > receiver (via optical fiber)

RCA RP8085 CD > receiver (via optical fiber)

RCA SCT-550 Tape > receiver (via analog cable)

Receiver Outputs:

Mains > JBL N38s

Center > line level back to the WEGA speakers

Rears > generic in-wall units

JRS

6. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I have mine like Myram has and I prefer it. Yes, there are more remotes to deal with but also there is one less item in the video path.

Brad: The video and audio paths are always a seperate hookup. The audio is always run from your source to the receiver but there are choices for the video path.

7. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Yes, all video goes directly to the TV. Then all the audio goes directly to the receiver. I use optical digital cables for the DVD player and PS2, and a coaxial digital cable for the cable box. Interconnects handle the analog signals from the vcr and cable box.

I use a Philips Pronto remote....so all I have is one remote to deal with......the other 5 are in a drawer for storage.