S04E16 Kiss the Monster - Make Him Sleep (Jan.24.1964)-64.jpg
S04E16 Kiss the Monster - Make Him Sleep (Jan.24.1964)-66.jpg
S04E16 Kiss the Monster - Make Him Sleep (Jan.24.1964)-67.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

This live dramatic series featured original stories and adaptations of novels, plays, et cetera during its eight year run. During the first year, the show was sponsored by the Actor's Equity Association, and featured adaptations of Broadway plays and musicals. Bert Lytell, the former President of the Association, acted as host. During the second season, an agreement w... Read all

S05E23 Marty (May.24.1953)
Stars Rod Steiger Nancy March Esther Minciotti Joe Mantell Augusta Ciolli Betsy Palmer Lee Philips Rossana San Marco Nehemiah Persoff Howard Caine Don Gordon Andrew Gerardo

Marty Pilletti is a 36 year-old butcher who lives with his mother. His brothers and sisters are all married and his dear mother - along with several other of her friends - is always asking him why he doesn't find a nice girl and get married. The truth is Marty is lonely and would like nothing better. He has very low self-esteem however and admits to his mother that he's ugly and no one wants him. He's tired of going to the Saturday night dance with his buddies and then going home more depressed than he was when the evening started. At one of those dances he meets Clara. They have a great deal in common but Marty will have to overcome peer pressure if he and Clara are to have a relationship.

I’ve always loved this story, but I had never seen this Live Kinescope version starring Rod Steiger. Only the far more well known motion picture version Marty (1955) starring Ernest Borgnine. To my surprise while watching this I discovered George Maharis in a uncredited role, his very first according to IMDb and Wikipedia.

This performance also includes a very young very attractive Betsy Palmer, along with Nehemiah Persoff and another uncredited appearance, this time by John Saxon which is not even noted at IMDb or Wikipedia. I've added a few images below the video.​

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, this may not be as interesting as Inger Stevens, I replayed the episode Layout at Glen Canyon last night. Just picked it at random. What was interesting was I looked up Glen Canyon and it was very interesting to see that it was quite a huge project started 1956 and completed in 1966. It was a controversial project because of the environmental impact. But the rapid growth of the population in the area required additional water supplies. There’s some cool photos of the construction on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Canyon_Dam

The episode did have some interesting appearances by the pre-Beverly Hillbillies Donna Douglas as Dana and pre-Gomer Pyle Elizabeth MacRae as the party girl Betsy. And Zohar Lampert as the troubled Sue.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The episode did have some interesting appearances by the pre-Beverly Hillbillies Donna Douglas as Dana and pre-Gomer Pyle Elizabeth MacRae as the party girl Betsy. And Zohar Lampert as the troubled Sue.
I like this episode, despite it being fairly average by this great series' standards...but damn, is that ending action scene memorable, as Tod and Buz run after troubled Sue Ellis (Zohra Lampert), ducking and weaving as multiple huge explosions blast off all around them... for real! Incredible finale.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, that’s a really good point about the ending action sequence with the apparent danger! I had not thought about it as I figured they wouldn’t really put the actors in any real danger. But it did look pretty real and some of the in-car shots were pretty surprising!

Plus the scenes that were filmed of the girls at the construction site were surprising in that the construction site allowed the film crew and actors down in the base of the dam. That and the explosive sequence has to be a super liability risk! Those were simpler times!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Hey guys, this may not be as interesting as Inger Stevens,
Not necessarily.
I replayed the episode Layout at Glen Canyon last night. Just picked it at random. What was interesting was I looked up Glen Canyon and it was very interesting to see that it was quite a huge project started 1956 and completed in 1966. It was a controversial project because of the environmental impact. But the rapid growth of the population in the area required additional water supplies. There’s some cool photos of the construction on Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Canyon_Dam

I get upset whenever I look back at the piss poor quality of many First Season episodes. This was another good one and all I can think about is what could have been had those 35mm prints been cared for properly. At the time of my Layout at Glen Canyon photo essay I hadn't yet realized that when dealing with inferior prints I should have inserted the images at the Thumb-Size. At some point in the future I will do over some of these from the Roxbury DVD's and in smaller size images.
Thanks for this very cool link Nelson. I very much enjoyed it! Looking at the episode images you can see the poster had even less success than I did.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neal! :)

I don’t have the Roxbury set for the first season. Which screen grabs are which? I thought the first season discs from Roxbury and Shout were the same? Thanks. :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Thanks Neal! :)

I don’t have the Roxbury set for the first season. Which screen grabs are which? I thought the first season discs from Roxbury and Shout were the same? Thanks. :)
Nelson all 3 posts are screen caps from the Roxbury First Season print inserted at the Thumb-Size. The third post contains 10 after and before modified images.

There’s only a minimal improvement between some of the Roxbury and ShoutFactory Season One episodes.

The crisper appearance of the images here as opposed to my June 11, 2021 post is mostly due to the insertion at the Thumb-Size vs. the Full-Size and that I became more proficient at modification.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neal, thanks for the info. I thought those screen caps was a comparison, between the Roxbury and Shout since one has a denser image and the other looks a little washed out. Good to know there’s minimal difference between the Roxbury and Shout releases! I wasn’t sure I wanted to try to find the first season set too! 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks