What's new

Route 66 (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Great caps, Neal! I love me some Stoney Burke, though I have not yet viewed this particular episode. I'm glad to see that you have adopted my "Babe-o supreme" rating system. ;) Ms. Devon does indeed rank highly on it.

Despite her undeniable beauty and charm, I've had difficulty making it through her Coronet Blue episode. That series is a real mixed bag...when it focuses on espionage/thriller stories, it's quite good...but I find some of the angsty 1960s counterculture youth psychodrama hard going. "Where You Been and What You Done" is just that sort of episode, and, while well done in its fashion, is not really my cup of tea. Be curious to hear what you think when you get to that one...
Thank you Jeff and for your "Babe-o-supreme" rating scale. We needed something more than the Neilsens. Actually I've had trouble getting through Coronet Blue altogether, so I'm not expecting to feel any different about Where You from and What You Done. When a series bought in 2017 containing only 13 episodes hasn't been completed by 2021 something is wrong.

Continuing with my Laura Devon-a-thon, this morning I watched these two.

The Lieutenant
- A Very Private Affair (1963) ... as Lane Bishop

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour
- Death and the Joyful Woman (1963) ... as Kitty Norris

I found both to be quite enjoyable. Despite the former being a War tv-series I really liked it's campiness. This episode contained surf boards, rock & roll music and a few cute babes in addition to Miss Devon. For a very brief moment I thought I was watching Dobie. :)

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
I have my cable box set to go to StarzEncoreWesterns when powered on. The first thing I see today is the face of Laura Devon. Seems a bit too much of a coincidence that The Big Valley The Velvet Trap is airing at this very moment. I think Laura is thanking me from the beyond for taking notice of her the past few days.

Love.1.gif

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose

Never complain too vociferously about the quality of our Route 66 prints. After all, our holy grails might have been 77 Sunset Strip, The Beverly Hillbillies, Ben Casey, The Defenders and so many others!

Last edited:

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
What a sad, sordid story. Yet another starlet in Hollywood who came to a tragic end.
Oh my, yes. I was completely unaware of this but whenever I post one of these I look to see if the actress is still with us. I was surprised to see she passed away at age 39!! Then I had to find out from what. I was stunned to see that she was murdered, and in such a gruesome manner!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Two of my favorite Laura Devon performances were in Rawhide season seven's Canliss with Dean Martin...and her season one I Spy episode Tatia...and of course she's wonderful in Route 66's One Tiger to a Hill as seen in Neal's screencap gallery...if you can access it, her appearance as a notorious and sexy cat burglar in The Rogues is another treat, Bow to a Master...

Here she is with Dean Martin in Rawhide's Canliss...
View attachment 112875
View attachment 112876
View attachment 112878
View attachment 112879
View attachment 112880
View attachment 112881
View attachment 112882
View attachment 112884

I Spy, Tatia...another of her finest performances...I think her best work on film...
View attachment 112885
View attachment 112887
View attachment 112888
View attachment 112890
View attachment 112891
View attachment 112892
View attachment 112893
View attachment 112894
View attachment 112895
Rawhide 6.JPG

Rawhide 5.JPG

Rawhide 17.JPG

Rawhide 22.JPG

Rawhide 46.JPG

Rawhide 50.JPG

Rawhide 56.JPG

Rawhide 42.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 16.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 30.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 27.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 35.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 38.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 51.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 55.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 57.JPG

Rawhide-I Spy 48.JPG

Randall, you were so spot on as I viewed these two this morning.

Rawhide
- Canliss (1964) ... as Augusta Canliss

I Spy
- Tatia (1965) ... as Tatia
Laura Devon certainly reached the pinnacle of her beauty in these two episodes. Seeing her in color in the latter didn't hurt either. Rewatching Canliss (1964) for only the second time in a long time had me thinking that this episode might have made for a great Backdoor Pilot of the same name, Canliss. There were barely any regular Rawhide cast appearances in this episode and it's rich with talent!

Stars Dean Martin Laura Devon Michael Ansara Ramon Novarro Theodore Bikel and Scott Marlowe.

I'm a bit hesitant following up these two great ones with Miss Devon as a nun in the four Dr. Kildare episodes.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This morning I set out with the intent of continuing with my Laura Devon-a-thon. I began with Dr. Kildare Going Home (1965). Not sure what happened but the next thing I knew it was about 11am with the sun shining. Then I remembered that the final season episodes are mostly a snooze-fest.

From Wikipedia:

The series was initially formatted as self-contained one-hour episodes, aired once per week. In later seasons, a trend towards serialized drama, inspired by the success of the prime time soap opera Peyton Place, caused the network to develop some Dr. Kildare storylines over multiple episodes and, in the final season, to air two separate half-hour episodes each week instead of a single one-hour episode.

Dr. Kildare (TV Series)
- Going Home (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- The Tent Dwellers (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- A Gift of Love (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- Fathers and Daughters (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin

So if I'm remembering correctly a single storyline drags on and on and on over 4-half-hour episodes. I'll find out tonight if I don't lose power or fall asleep again.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
This morning I viewed Dr. Kildare episodes Fathers and Daughters (1965) and A Gift of Love (1965) and I could not continue any further. As stated by Wikipedia the attempt at being inspired by the success of Peyton Place fell terribly short. I’m no fan of Soaps but I was hooked while watching the awful image quality of the ShoutFactory releases.

Here we have poor Laura Devon as Sister Benjamin struggling through her lines hiding her terminal illness from her father played by Fred Astaire. He in turn is hiding a serious angina pectoris heart condition from his daughter Sister Benjamin who discovers he’s been taking nitroglycerin pills. Even Russ couldn’t find enough humor in this for one of his classic commentaries! In addition, Miss Devon’s face looks all swollen with her nose protruding like The Wicked Witch, and her cheeks red and puffy from the pressure of having to wear the Nun’s cowl for god knows how long while filming these 4 excruciating episodes. Also her caked up white make-up brings to mind Casper The Friendly Ghost. The dialogue is so bad even Kildare and Gillespie look as though they don’t believe the words they are speaking!

Finally I became hysterical when I realized that the look on Miss Devon’s face from wearing that Nun’s cowl reminded me of Barney Fife in Barney's Physical (1964). Do you remember this classic episode? He's wearing a harness hanging in a closet attempting to stretch his neck to become a few inches taller so that he can pass his physical. That is all!
icon_e_ohigetit.gif

Dr. Kildare (TV Series)
- Going Home (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- The Tent Dwellers (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- A Gift of Love (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin
- Fathers and Daughters (1965) ... as Sister Benjamin

Andy Griffith S05E02 Barny's Physical-1.jpg Andy Griffith S05E02 Barny's Physical-3.jpg Andy Griffith S05E02 Barny's Physical-4.jpg Andy Griffith S05E02 Barny's Physical-6.jpg

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
The Fugitive S03E23 The Chinese Sunset (Mar.01.1966)

Continuing with my Laura Devon-a-thon, this morning I rewatched this one. A classic episode co-starring Laura Devon as Penelope Dufour, the girl with looks who don’t need books and Paul Richards as Eddie Slade who refers to Penelope as his little jelley-fish.

Believe it or not I never put two and two together the previous 5 or 6 times I’ve watched The Chinese Sunset to realize that Penelope was indeed Laura Devon. Here she has put on a few pounds, more busty, yet just as gorgeous as ever. Lots of make-up to portray the character of Penelope, a dim-witted floozy desperately trying to impress her gangster boyfriend Eddie Slade with her mental prowess which is non-existent. Realizing she needs to find a brain and that The Wizard of Oz is not an option she sets out to convince college-man, porter, switchboard operator and pool maintenance engineer Jack Fickett, (Dr. Richard Kimble) to educate her.

Miss Devon is absolutely tremendous in this role, lovingly adorable! We see her playing a character she had never done before. So convincing in fact that I didn’t realize it was her!

Dr. Richard Kimble : It just means you're growing up fast.
Penelope Dufour : Well, I'm not sure I like it.
Dr. Richard Kimble : You will when you get there.

This certainly washed away the bad taste in my mouth after watching the Laura Devon Dr. Kildare episodes.

A few screen caps followed by a couple of clips:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks