What's new

Route 66 (1 Viewer)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Neal, more great screen caps of some great episodes...Route 66 was certainly churning them out as season one was in the homestretch. I think The Newborn is another of my favorites, with those stunning New Mexico Sangre de Cristo panoramas, Apache and Mescalero reservations...and another fine performance by Arlene Martell, temporarily 'Sax'. Albert Dekker is a conflicted heavy, with Robert Duvall for his dirty work. I can never quite think of Albert Dekker without thinking about his hall-of-fame 'Hollywood Babylon' ending, but I'm dark like that, ha, ha...I love it when real Native Americans are front and center, and we have yet another Denver Pyle and Bing Russell sighting. Arthur Hiller (a fellow Canadian from Alberta!) directed many great episodes. Love the beautiful old Santa Fe sites in A Skill for Hunting...
View attachment 105179

Has Susan Oliver ever been better or more lovely than in Welcome to Amity? The first of her 3 episodes in Route 66...Ohio locations were a sentimental homecoming for Sam Manners, who was the production executive who supervised the road company of 60 people for Herbert B. Leonard. From what I've read, Stirling Silliphant picked out the locations from his own travels, local events and culture, and for his desired story outlines that he refined into his tremendous scripts, always under deadlines for a unique series never attempted before or since. But Sam Manners also held some sway, as when they went to Youngstown or Cleveland, his home town. They even filmed in his boyhood house in season three's Welcome to the Wedding! Another great episode.

Welcome to Amity was filmed in Kinsmen Ohio. And the 'rooming house' that Susan Oliver stays in was renowned trial lawyer Clarence Darrow's boyhood home. Darrow of course being famous for the legendary debate with fellow titan William Jennings Bryan in the 1926 Scopes 'Monkey Trial', immortalized in the Broadway play and film Inherit the Wind. The Octagon shaped house dates from 1854 and was dedicated as a National Historic Place in 1971.
View attachment 105180
View attachment 105177
View attachment 105178

You can't do better than the sheer Americana that is Route 66...
Fascinating, informative, invigorating and well, I'm speechless.
If only going to school had just once been as interesting!

icon_e_thankyou.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Some great screen caps of the last few episodes Neal. That guy in A Skill for Hunting was quite a piece of work! I’ll be reviewing these episodes in the coming days and weeks. I last left off with The Beryllium Eater. I’m not watching them in order, so I’ve been bouncing around the season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In regards to Mr. Novak, I did some research on the series. I’ve never seen it before as I earlier said. I think it was the classic TV thread where I saw some screen grabs from the show. It appears only the first season is available. I’ll keep the show in mind. I recently picked up several other series and I have been slowly getting to some of them. as in The Twilight Zone, I need time enough at last. :)

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
In regards to Mr. Novak, I did some research on the series. I’ve never seen it before as I earlier said. I think it was the classic TV thread where I saw some screen grabs from the show. It appears only the first season is available. I’ll keep the show in mind. I recently picked up several other series and I have been slowly getting to some of them. as in The Twilight Zone, I need time enough at last. :)
So MUCH television, so little time!!

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
buz-and-tod-by-blue-corvette-on-route66.jpg

Get Your Kicks on Route 66" is a popular rhythm and blues song, composed in 1946 by American songwriter Bobby Troup. The lyrics follow the path of U.S. Route 66 (US 66), which traversed the western two-thirds of the U.S. from Chicago, Illinois, to Los Angeles, California. The song became a standard, with several renditions appearing on the record charts.

The Julie London Show" (Japan) May 1964

Route 66 : Nat King Cole : with Lyrics

Perry Como's Kraft Music Hall (November 28, 1962)

Rolling Stones Route 66 (Live)

[Get Your Kicks On] Route 66 · The Four Freshmen

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks