Roundup Question

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Qui-Gon John, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Is there anyway the roundup could be posted earlier, like Wed, Thu or Fri, but WITHOUT the prices filled in yet?

I often do not even know what movies are coming out and even the list without prices would be helpful in plannning.

Also, it might make it easier on Sunday, since then Mike would just have to fill in the prices, the rest would already be up.

Just an idea.

Also, does anyone know what "major new releases" come out this Tuesday? Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are any number of sites that list "upcoming DVDs" or "coming soon". Most sites that sell or rent DVDs should have something like that. Are you saying that checking the Roundup on Sunday doesn't give you enough time to plan?

3. Julio Diaz

Julio Diaz Stunt Coordinator

There are a lot of sites that offer release lists heading out months in advance. www.videoeta.com is a good one. Amazon usually has its top sellers for several weeks in advance up, too.

I write a weekly DVD picks column for the newspaper I work at, and the stuff I pulled out to highlight for this coming Tuesday was "Fun with Dick and Jane" (Jim Carrey), "Wolf Creek," "Dave Attell Insomniac Tour Presents: Sean Rouse, Greg Grialdo and Dane Cook," "Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin," and "An Unfinished Life."

Other major releases include "The Bob Newhart Show Season 3," "The Greatest Game Ever Played," "Farscape Season 3 Collection 3 (Starburst Edition)" and "In Living Color Season 5."

If you have kids, you might also watch out for "Dora the Explorer: Dora's First Trip" and "Bratz: Genie Magic."

Special interest type stuff includes "Cirque du Soliel: Corteco," "The Merv Griffin Show: 40 of the Most Interesting People of Our Time," "Laurel & Hardy Gift Set(Great Guns / Jitterbugs / The Big Noise)" and "Death Cab For Cutie: Directions."

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I'm sure he's already doing this, just not posting it.

You can go to Amazon.com and browse by future release date here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...775957-4080823

Some of next week's releases include:

Bob Newhart - The Complete Third Season
    Fun With Dick & Jane
    The Greatest Game Ever Played
    In Living Color - The Complete Fifth Season

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Thanks for the feedback. I work Sun-Wed, (with Sun-Tue being 12 hours days), that is why just seeing the new releases on Sunday morning doesn't help as much as it may others.

And this week I have a Blockbuster coupon which will expire and I wanted to see if there was anything I wanted my daughter to pickup at BB for me on Tuesday. Possibly FUN WITH DICK AND JANE

Thanks all.

6. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Another great source is TheDigitalBits.com. Click on the Upcoming DVD Cover Art icon and it lists, by date, just about every title being released on a given Tuesday.

7. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Yet another great source is the Circuit City website. Just go to the DVD section and look for new releases. They have them organized by week of release and they usually include everything right down to the $6 public domain discs.

8. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

It's interesting to see what sites that everybody uses to track upcoming releases. I've always liked:

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com

Click on the 'Upcoming Releases' tab and then you can select a date from the pull-down box. I like using DVDPriceSearch because I can take a quick look at pre-order online pricing.

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Most of the time, (with a few exceptions like looking for re-releases of titles not previoulsy anamorphic), I am mostly interested in releases of movies which were in theaters recently, (new movies). Which of the various tracking sites do most find it easiest to pick out these titles? Many of the ones listed include everything coming out, all lumped together alphabetically. So if you don't know a title is a new movie, you cant really tell.

10. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

I just checked DVDPriceSearch.com and it will give you this information. First of all, you should select 'Preferences' from the title bar to customize your options. For instance, my set-up is to display Release Date, MSRP, and Lowest Price. Secondly, select 'Power Search' from the title bar. You can then specify Year(s) and then select the 'Pre-Releases Only' box and you will have your customized list of 'new movies' 'not yet released'. Hope this helps.

11. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    dvdverdict.com breaks out the more popular releases first.

12. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Thanks, up until now, if I did not know about a new movie by hearing/seeing/reading about it's theatrical release, I would not know the title to look for on the various release lists.

13. Don_Limey

Don_Limey Stunt Coordinator

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Well, John...it looks like you've now got ways to get the info you need.

And that's good...because the last thing I'd want to do right now is have yet another deadline to have to meet with the RoundUp. The thing already consumes a fair amount of my free time (just ask Dave Lambert, he'll tell ya!) and what you proposed in your original post would, in all reality, just add another layer to my efforts.

Glad others chimed in with how they get info on upcoming releases. Hope you've got everything you need now!

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Thanks Mike. [​IMG]