Roughnecks: STC Zephyr Campaign on DVD finally!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Molinarolo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

For those that were collecting the 1999 CGI-animated "Roughnecks: Starshiptrooper Chronicles" series on DVD, you'll know that Columbia Tri-Star skipped a campaign (5-episode arc) in their release schedule. This skipped campaign, better known as the "Ice Asteroid campaign" is finally making its way to DVD on 8/19. This only leaves the final three episodes plus the possible two unproduced episodes to make it to DVD sometime in the future...hopefully.

I have the currently available six volumes of Roughnecks and am anxiously awaiting this actual 5th campaign in the series. This will fill in the plot gaps between the Tesca (jungle planet) campaign and the Klendathu (bug homeoworld) campaigns.

For those not familiar with the series, Roughnecks follows more closely to the classic Robert Heinlein novel than the 1997 live-action Paul Verhoeven film, although this series was co-produced by Verhoeven himself. As for content, think of it as Band of Brothers in space, complete with amphibious landings (planet landings) and a clear distinctive evil enemy in the bugs.

The DVD presentation is really pretty good. Every disc so far as been presented in DD 5.1, with the exception of the 2nd one released, the afore-mentioned "Tesca campaign", for what reason I do not know. The 5.1 sound mix makes great use of the .LFE channel for all the explosions. Out of the 6 discs released so far 4 of them have two, count'em two commentaries each. One from the writers/producers, the other from the technical/animator teams. I must admit that I've only listened to a small portion of one of the technical commentaries, but what I heard was quite interesting to hear how much love and devotion the technical team put into the series with the special effects, etc.

The only drawback to the DVD is the slight soft look to the video. The video isn't quite as crisp and sharp as Rhino's Beast Wars discs. But the animation overall is better, except for animation shimmer in the animation of the bugs in the earlier episodes.

So for all you out there that feel that the live-action Starship Troopers movie is at least a guilty pleasure pop-corn film, but want a little more substance to the over-all story of the troopers and universe, I can't strongly recommend the Roughnecks series any more. The only cheesey bits to the series might be the background music. It sounds like a Nintendo video game at times, but that's just a minor qibble when compared to the overall strength of character development and story lines. The variety of the bugs, trooper equipment, and special effects make this series a well worth while investment in my opinion.

Oh, BTW, a Superbit version of the live-action movie is coming out on 8/5 as well.

2. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

WOW!!! I must say I'm shocked they are releasing the disk. I'll definitely be picking this one up. [​IMG]

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

What is the correct order for the dvd discs?

4. Donnie Eldridge

Pluto Campaign: 1-5
    Hydora Campaign: 6-10
    Tophet Campaign: 11-15
    Tesca Campaign: 16-20
    Klendathu Campaign: 26-30
    Homefront Campaign: 32, 34, 35-37

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Great news I'm a fan of this series and was pissed off when they stopped making them, that campaign is one of the best and look forward to adding it to the collection.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The official announce date for this product is next Monday. TVShowsOnDVD.com will have a news item up early early EARLY that morning complete with cover art. Columbia's policies prevent us from posting prior to that time.

A week after that we will have announcements for two other items from Columbia...one of them EXTREMELY cool. [​IMG]

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

About damn time! I had given up hope for that disc! I posted about this 6 months ago and got no response and I couldn't reach the creators web site either.

Yeehaa!

8. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

Great news, though I must say that while it is better than the film, these still don't follow the book that closely.

9. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

Well, I popped in my "Homefront Campaign" disc last night in an attempt to "wet my appetite" for the Ice Asteroid campaign disc. (Well, in reality, the first time I watched this disc, my DD receiver was out of commission temporarily so therefore I hadn't seen this one in 5.1 yet.) But anyway, I can't help but say that when you first start watching this show, it seems a little goofy or childish, but as you watch it, it pulls you in with some great action scenes, explosions, animation, and most of all, character development and interactions.

I hope Columbia Tri-Star finds a way to finish the last 2 unproduced episodes and release the last and final 8th disc of this series.

10. Elvie

Elvie Stunt Coordinator

Very cool indeed [​IMG]

Perhaps the dvd sales of this release will convince them to finish? Well, I can hope.

11. Donnie Eldridge

I only wish they were done originally done in 16:9 . The beginning of each disk always gets me hyped because it's letter-boxed.

12. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Oh, baby is this great news! I've been dying to see the Ice Asteroid episodes in crisp DVD clarity. If only we could convince the suits at Sony to complete the final three episodes of the series and the final battle on Earth!

13. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As promised, we have a news item up at TVShowsOnDVD this morning about this, complete with Cover Art!

14. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

15. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Just a reminder- this is coming out in a few weeks.
    Hopefully someone will get a review out on this soon.

Now if only they'ld finish the few remaining episodes...

16. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer