Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Tesca campaign

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen_L, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Stephen_L

Stephen_L Supporting Actor

Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles will be releasing a new DVD, 'The Tesca Campaign' on September 18. The new DVD includes not only the best episodes of the series, but concept art and a directors, technical commentary track. This show, the best CGI I've ever seen on TV has been missed by most folks due to a series of screw-ups in scheduling. The first five eps, "The Pluto Campaign" sold so well that Sony is releasing the Tesca episodes, followed by the Hydora and Tophet campaigns. Lovers of Robert Heinlein, great CGI animation, and first rate story-telling rejoice!

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Does this still come on cable or satellite, if it does when.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Does anyone know what episodes make up both the Pluto & Tesca campaign dvd's??

4. Stephen_L

Roughnecks:Starship Troopers Chronicles is showing in only a few markets. I know the WB basic cable feed runs it in the mornings if it's not preempted by local programming.
    The episodes in the Pluto Campaign are:
    101 Freefall
    102 Plasma Bugs of Navarone
    103 Basic Training
    104 Handle With Care
    105 Deep Trouble
    The episodes in the Tesca Campaign are:
    116 No Substitute
    117 And Then There Were Two
    118 Marauder
    119 Liquid Dreams
    120 Heart
    The Roughnecks series episodes make a sequencial story so sadly the jump to the Tesca campaign may be a bit confusing, but they are the best written and animated shows in the series. The good news is that Sony plans to release the episodes in between (The Hydora Campaign and Tophet Campaign) in the near future so you can have the story in order.

5. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

yay, I loved the first one and will pick them all up as they become available.

6. Joel Hoekstra

Joel Hoekstra Auditioning

So how can I plug a DVD I haven’t seen yet?...
    Well, this one’s a no-brainer for me. I’ve seen the entire Tesca Nemerosa story arc (episodes 16-20) since it first aired, and I must say that Foundation Imaging really hit its stride with these five episodes. The quality of the CGI animation is better than anything I’ve seen that’s been made for TV (with the possible exception of later Roughnecks episodes :)
    Tesca Nemerosa is the “jungle planet” of this series and the animators didn’t cut any corners in giving us a lush, leafy environment for our Starship Troopers to explore. You’ll get to see the taking of Zegema beach, troopers jump-jetting through the tree canopy, underwater adventures in a mini-sub, new types of bugs genetically engineered (by the Bugs!) to fit the jungle setting. Later you can go spelunking in a Marauder Suit in the network of caves running underneath the jungle floor. You’ll also get a tour of the inner world of memories and dreams as one trooper’s life hangs in the balance!
    You’ll be introduced to a new alien character who becomes a member of the Roughnecks squad. The first two episodes (16-17) highlight his struggles to fit in with a squad that has good reason to mistrust him. His name is T’Phai, and he’s still my favorite character of the series, so OF COURSE I’m going to buy this DVD. Like I said, it’s a no brainer. If you are interested in collecting this series at all, it’s a MUST HAVE.

7. Stephen_L

Sony must have done okay with the Pluto DVD cause not only are they releasing this DVD but they are adding some of the extras (cast bios, director's commentary track) that the previous one lacked. Happily word is out that two more DVDs will be released (Hydora, Tophet) so we can finally see the show in order and in glorious crystal DVD clarity.

8. Cheryl P

Cheryl P Auditioning

I was extremely please to learn the Tesca DVD will contain 'extras'. Although it would not have detered me from buying the DVD if not included. I throughly enjoyed the show while it was showing in my area. And ecstatic that I have an opportunity to buy any of the series in a high quality DVD rather than watching my tapes.
    I concur that releasing the series out of order is sad, and a bit confusing, as there will be new characters and one missing. But I feel it will not deter from the audience being able to follow the story line.
    The details in the animation are excellent comibined with the superb writing, soundtrack, voice actors, producing and directing makes for an adventure to watch and enjoy for young and old alike.

9. ClareBeaton

ClareBeaton Auditioning

Believe me, if you're a sci-fi fan, or into CGI animation, this DVD is a must-have!
    If you've seen the show, you'll know what I'm talking about - with it's original plot, brilliant designs, refreshing voice talent, and simply awesome animation ... well, it would have been a hit on TV with the right exposure. Still, the dedicated fans stick by the show, even in it's unfinished state.
    The Tesca arc, in my opinion, is even better than the pluto arc - the scenery is more intricate, and the plot really thickens. Definitely worth buying, I tell you!

10. Stephen_L

To be more specific, Sony has promised gobs of concept art and a director's commentary track with the Tesca DVD, along with character photos and bios. Plans are in the works to include episode directors and CGI director's commentary on the subsequent two DVD releases, Hydora and Tophet.

11. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

I picked up the first Roughnecks DVD and just watched it last night. Great animation and story, but I was kind of disappointed with the picture quality of the disc. Being CGI, I guess I expected a cleaner image. Other than that it was great.
    Marc.

12. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

It was a great series and I was extremely annoyed with my local channel for dumping it in favor of Infomercials.
    Very Annoying.
    TiVo was my friend for it though, it showed at like 5:30 AM.
    ------------------

13. Stephen_L

Mark I understand your complaint. Foundation Imaging, the company responsible for most of the animation of the series added motion blur to most scenes giving the show a softer look and focus. Personally I find the 'softer' look a little more natural, especially with the character faces, but I do miss the clarity when I'm grabbing screen caps. But a lot of folks share your opinion and prefer the clearer, sharper look.

14. Phil_M

Phil_M Extra

Roughnecks is my favorite show on TV today. I make an effort not to miss an episode. The story has me hooked, the CGI has me amazed and the characters have me caring. If you have not seen Roughnecks give it a try, you won't be sorry.
    When I found out the Pluto Campaign was out on DVD I did not hesitate to buy it and I was not dissapointed. Now I can't wait for the Tesca DVD to be released.
    PS: If you are new to Roughnecks check out www.roughneckchronicles.com

15. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Ok this has to be a record for members 1st posts in a thread.Something smells a little fishy. [​IMG]

16. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    QUESTION.....

Are any of you guys related to the
    product that is being promoted in this
    thread?
    I would hate to close this thread because
    of blatant advertising.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
    Circa 2000
    Home Theater Forum Administrator
    All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
    Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
    Email Packy [email protected]

17. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Stephen L:
    not even close, I am assuming you missed Martin Blythe's 'requests to paramount' thread.
    Ron:
    No

18. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

Me neither.
    I hope, although this maybe a long shot, that if they release all the eps, and see enough demand, they might commission more episodes!

19. Joel Hoekstra

Joel Hoekstra Auditioning

attn: Ron
    Nah, we're just rabid fans of the show who want DVD sales to be good so there's at least some faint hope that Sony will finish the last three episodes of the first season.
    If you go to roughneckchronicles.com you'll find some forums filled with a bunch of folks who are completely POed at Sony for failing to properly promote and distribute our favorite show. Unfortunately, good PR for Roughnecks seems to be entirely in the hands of the fans at this point.

20. Stephen_L

No, even though I'm a rabid fan of the show, I'm not some shill for Sony. Joel, hit the nail on the head. I'm part of an on-line community of fans of "Roughnecks" and we've been clawing and fighting to get Sony to give this show the publicity and wide release it deserves. With luck we'll get the whole thing out and DVD, and most importantly convince Sony to finish the final episodes of the show.