What's new

ROTK:EE running time.....now official? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Why does this question of "does it include credits?" always come up? Aren't credits part of running - and hasn't this always been the case? I noticed there was this confusion wit the theatrical version too.

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say with the LOTR EE's it's because of all the fan credits. If it were, say, thirty minutes longer but the new fan credits were part of that, then that isn't that much new material.
Why people would ask it about the theatrical cut beats me.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I think it would make sense that 4:10 is the MOVIE, not the credits.

RexW

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious.
How do you get your name in the fan credits and is it too late?

Thanks

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
You had to sign up for the Official LotR Fan Club a couple of years ago, if you signed up for 1 year you got your name on FotR and so on. Yes it is too late.

greg_t

Screenwriter
If it is 4:10, then that would mean forty minutes or so of new footage since the theatrical was right at 3 hours 30 minutes, which is just about what the Two Towers EE added, so I think it's probably pretty accurate.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Nope, the theatrical cut was 3 hours and 21 minutes with credits, 3:12 up to the credits.

Anyway, this should definitely be counted in the rumor stage at this point. It's hardly anything official. "Ringer Spy Nernadel" spoke with Peter Jackson at the L.A. Film Critics Awards Dinner? Possible. Also possible "Ringer Spy Nerdanel" is completely making it up.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
ROTK theatrical was 3:12 no credits
ROTK extended will be 4:10 no credits

that's 58 minutes extra.. woaw

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
New Line and PJ have not been in the habit of including the credits in the running time for any of the DVD releases. You can check me on that, but I'm pretty darn sure.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Running times on all DVD boxes include the credits. This is normal practice. The credits are considered as part of the movie. The EE running times include the theatrical credits but not the fan credits. They always have. The only credits that PJ and company ever said that the running time did not include were the fan credits. It is not that hard to understand. ROTK:EE will be 4:10 up until the fan credits start. That is about 50 minutes of added material which is nothing to complain about. Check IMDB: Running time of TTT:TE=179min. TTT:EE=223min. I just checked my TTT:EE DVD and the running time is 223 including the credits but not the fan credits. In Hollywood the movie is not over until the last credit has scrolled off the screen and all there running times reflect this. So if PJ did say that the ROTK will be 4:10 then that includes credits b/c that is the way they think about it. It will not include the fan credits b/c they never have include those. They are not credits for the movie anyway.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

But is that really enough?

Saruman, Denethor's Palantir, Gandalf vs. Witchking, Corsairs, Houses of Healing, Mouth of Sauron ...

There was so much missing from the Theatrical Cut that I don't think that 58 minutes will be enough to put it all back in.

That's why I was so disappointed by the Theatrical Cut - it was basically just the skeleton of a potentially great movie.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
For what it is worth, I enjoyed the TC knowing there will be more footage. This is just icing on the cake really

:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

We already know that Saruman clocked in at 7 minutes. I don't know about the Corsairs but the rest of your list likely wouldn't take more than 5 minutes each so that would be 27 minutes. There will likely be some additional scenes we don't know about but almost an entire hour should be plenty to adequately flesh out what was cut.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
5 minutes each wouldn't be enough - for example

It has to be explained that Denethor has a Palantir and that Sauron used it to drive him mad by showing him false images and that that is the reason why he is behaving the way he does.

Aragorn has to use the Palantir, have a mental confrontation with Sauron and use it to learn about the Corsairs, then set up an ambush, defeat them and capture the ships so he can arrive at the battle.

Apparently Jackson changed the part the Mouth of Sauron plays - he doesn't just come out and taunt Aragorn and Gandalf but instead there's a big swordfight in which Aragorn kills the Mouth of Sauron.

The Houses of Healing would have to include the scene where Eomer finds Eowyn on the battlefield, her healing and her meeting with Faramir.

None of these parts could be condensed into 5 minutes.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I don't think the Corsairs are gonna happen Sven. The way it was set up in the movie, you don't know what happens to Aragorn until he arrives at the Pellenor, having him fight the Corsairs would drain some of that tension. In addition, he already knows about the Corsairs from Elrond, he doesn't need the Palantir.

In the Weapons and Warfare book (which, BTW, is a great reference and a terrific read) it's revealed that Aragorn confronts Sauron in the Palantir after Pellenor. I think we'll see that scene after the council in Minas Tirith where they decide on a diversion, where Aragorn will then use the Palantir to distract Sauron from Frodo.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
The Corsairs were filmed - Peter Jackson said in an interview that he had his cameo as one of the Corsairs (and that he's killed by Aragorn).

But I'd rather lose the Corsairs than any of the other scenes I've mentioned.

You're right about the Palantir - I didn't remember that correctly.
It's been too long since I've read the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks