What's new

Roth IRA questions (1 Viewer)

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
If I choose to recharacterize or pull out this years contribution for both the wife and I does it have to be done by years end or by April 15th of next year? What are the pitfalls of either option?

Know of any good web pages where I can read up on this matter?

Thanks

Wade

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
One more question.

Can we even have any other type of IRA if we were both contributing to our 401k plan at work?

As you can probably tell I don't know much about IRA's and probably shouldn't be messing with them.

Thanks again

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not know the answer the recharacterizing your contribution, but you can have other IRA's even if you contribute to a 401K program. A Roth IRA contribution does not come off your gross income, but any earnings from investments in the Roth are tax-free forever. You can contribute to a normal IRA, too, but your contribution does not come off your gross income (if you have access to a 401K plan), and the investment earnings are tax-deferred (you are taxed when you withdraw funds). Finally, a rollover IRA can be setup to rollover 401K or other retirement plans into a single account for tax-deferred earnings.

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,

Thanks for the response. I ended up answering my own silly question so I edited out the question I had here.

I'm ignorant when it comes to this stuff. That is why my wife and I are talking to a financial advisor this evening.

Wade

Danny R

Supporting Actor
You can contribute to a normal IRA, too, but your contribution does not come off your gross income (if you have access to a 401K plan),

I don't believe this is correct. Contributions up to $2000 per person can be made each year to a normal IRA that are tax free. You pay taxes on it only when you withdraw the money at some future point. It doesn't matter if you have a 401 plan or not. Those have their own limits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.