What's new

Rotel's new proprietary 7.1 mode (1 Viewer)

BrianAe

Second Unit
The literature for the new 1098 pre/pro states that it includes Rotel's own 7.1 proprietary surround format that can be used with any source. Presumably this is similar to logic 7.

can anyone comment on how good it is? Also, does anyone know if the new Rotel receiver will have this included?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The 1066 had something called an xS mode. Turned 5.1 material into 7.1, even with unique rear channels. But not with the extensive steering that you get with Logic 7 or DPL IIx. Just phase tricks like THX Ultra2. Don't know if the 1098 is the same or not?

There's a pretty extesnive review at Secrets that might have some info. www.hometheaterhifi.com (I haven't read the whole thing yet.)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes its very similar to THX Ultra and it works quite well on my 1098. Its not discrete like say a true 6.1 DVD is but for the most part it fills in the rear very nicely on those 5.1 movies.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Thanks Andrew and Kevin. How does it do with a Stereo source? Is it better then PLII? I read the Secrets review and it doesn't even mention it, which I think doesn't say good things about the secrets reviews (but thats another story).

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
No its not as good as PLII but its not really meant to replace PLII. What XS does is add the 6th or 7th surround channels if they aren't encoded or matrixed...so in your PLII example what would happen is PLII would matrix the stereo signal to 5.1 and then XS would matrix from that the 6th and 7th chanells...sort of like what PLIIx will do.

BrianAe

Second Unit
Thanks Andrew. That explains it well. How do you feel about your 1098 purchase in lite of the upcoming rotel "lighter weight" pre/pro (1067)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks