What's new

Rotel vs Outlaw with Klipsch? (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I also posted this at the Klipsch BBS, but i'm wondering if i might get more responses from users of these preamps here.

Alright, I'm wondering what anyones opinions are on using either the new Rotel preamp (1066?) or the Outlaw 950 with Klipsch Legends (KLF-20s, C7, and KSP-S6s). What I've been hearing so far is that the Outlaw is slightly brighter and the Rotel is warmer, but is more of a quality to do with the amps? Is there an amp that could tame this brightness of both the Outlaw preamp and the klipschs and have everything sound good together? I'd rather get the Outlaw, since its slightly more inexpensive and the feature set seems to be what I'm looking for, but am wondering what everyone else thinks about how it will sound.

So, if anyone has any opinions, or has used either preamp with klipsch speakers, i'd love to hear what you think.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Try Parasound amps. They do tend to be more forgiving in the high frequency range and a little more forward on the mid-bass lending themselves to the description of being warmer amps.

The Model 950 and Parasound mix may be a good one. Rotel 1066 and Parasound, may lack detail depending on your tastes.

Dan

Brandon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using Polks, but I find the 950/Parasound combo to be a good one. I have a 950 with a Parasound HCA-855A for five main channels, and Parasound HCA-750A powering two back surround channels (which are Klipsch, but they are in-ceiling so they won't compare to yours.)

The combo gives you just the right amount of detail without being overly "bright," IMO.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Dan _ I agree, the 950 + my Parasound 2205AT sound fantastic (even with the hiss). Very clean and detailed. I really dont with the term bright/and the 950. As its very detailed and even "forward/In your face", some may just not to prefer this. With my MSB Link DAC + analog bypass on 950, I am VERY satisfied. When hiss issue is resolved, maybe (or maybe in my head) I'll like it even more.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Well every review I've come across all say the Rotel is warmer then the Outlaw so I'd lean towards the Rotel since IMO the pre amp has more to do with the sound then the amps. For what its worth I'm using warm sounding HK amps with my Rotel and I'm not lacking detail at all with my speakers (Energys)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Andrew,

I've found both to be true. It is an integration of speakers, amps, and processor that, in the end, mesh together in either a pleasing or unpleasing manner (along with room acoustics, but we won't add that here).

Amps, by design, have different sonic signatures depending on what "sound" the companies are going for. They want to be unique and distinct. Granted, I'd rather go with accurate myself, but... what is accurate?

If you put warm amps with a warm pre-amp, you might get too "dark" a sound, perhaps muddy or indistinct depending on degrees of "warmness."

Dan

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I own Klipsch all around and use the 950 and I think it sounds really nice. I think most of these people don't own Klipsch and therefore probably aren't fans of a "bright" sound. If you own Klipsch I don't think you will find the 950 to be a bad match at all. I agree that a good mating of equipment is important and that's why I think the 950 is neutral and brings out the detail in the Klipsch, which I imagine is the reason you bought them over a tweeter type speaker. Either way I am sure you will be happy. Good Luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks