Rotel vs Odyssey Audio Amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KrisCH, Mar 2, 2004.

1. KrisCH

KrisCH Auditioning

Hello, wondering if any one has compared the Rotel amps to Odyssey stratos amps?

I was looking at the Odyssey Stratos Extreme and the HT3 for 5 channel amplification but also was curious as to the RB-1090 and the RMB-1075 from Rotel instead.

Does any one have an opinion on what I might expect to hear between these two?

As a side note I am contemplating purchasing the Rotel 1068 or possibly the 1098 PrePro to replace an older yamaha receiver, hence my interest in the Rotel amps.

Speakers being driven are Legacy Audio Signature III, Silver Screen II and Mist.

Thanks in advance. Also if any on else has any recommendations on amps that you think might be better I am open to suggestions. Looking to stay under $4500

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

i would recommend staying away from the 1090 and the 1095 as they have some problems...if you go to www.hometheaterspot.com and look under the rotel forum, you can see some of the posts, doesnt apply to the 1075 though..

i would recommend auditioning the 1068 and 1098, overall, i think rotel is a very good brand...

as for the odyssey, can only go by posts, the guys on audioasylum like them...and the german guy, cant remember his name, seems to be very well liked...they have a 20-year warranty that is very nice

Rich

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I thought I heard the newer 1095's had cleared up the problems that existed on the earlier runs, but could be wrong. Maybe, Andrew or someone else could chime in here to verify if I'm correct. As for the Odyssey, it has a great reputation, but I've never heard one personally.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The newer 1095's and 1080's (not sure about 1090) all have been upgraded and noise should be much less of an issue now. You can spot the new ones by the clear WBT binding posts on the back.

5. Rich Wenzel

Andrew, thanks for the update. Originally I had heard complaints that Rotel was not even acknowledging that there was a problem and was making the stores deal with the problem..there were some real customer dissatisfaction with this...If Rotel did change it, then its kind of a defacto admittance of guilt.

Rich

6. Levesque

Levesque Supporting Actor

"Rotel was not even acknowledging that there was a problem and was making the stores deal with the problem..there were some real customer dissatisfaction with this...If Rotel did change it, then its kind of a defacto admittance of guilt."

Well said. I did try to exchange my RMB-1095 for over 1 year, but even with Andrew's help, Rotel always refused to exchange it, always telling me it was a ground-loop. I was stuck in the Rotel-dealer-Rotel-dealer loop for over 1 year!!! After 2 electricians, and trying the 1095 in 3 different houses, with always the same results, and with a Bryston 4BSST and their own Rotel RB-1050 completely silent in the same conditions, they were still insisting it was my house and not their 1095 that was the problem.

I did point them to the links in Club Rotel talking about the ground-scheme design flaws w/o results. Even with the proof directly in their face, they were still denying it! I did ask them why they were introducing a new 1095 model then? Why are you changing the 1095 if it's not the amp the problem? But they were still telling me it was a ground-loop. Sigh... We all know the new model is there to get rid of this ground-scheme problem... Was it so difficult just to exchange my 1095 for a new one? Seems it was...

So I finally sold it last sunday to someone who was not bothered by that noise in quiet parts of film or music. I did loose money on this deal because I had to told him about the noise issue.

Rotel customer plainly stinks. After 1 year of sending countless E-mails to them and visits to my dealer, the only solution left was to sell it.

I really hope they don't treat all their customers like this. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think everyone should think really hard before buying any Rotel gear, because it's clear that they don't care, and that it's the dealer that takes all the decisions. If you have a good relationship with your Rotel dealer, go for it, or else, look elsewhere.

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Yeah, I had the same problem when I tried out a 1095, having it buzz uncontrollably until I demoed a new model, and Rotel really did drop the ball in customer care concerning this amp. The new amps have indeed solved this problem.

As for a comparison, as I have heard both the Odyssey Stratos and Rotel 1095, I think that the Stratos, in terms of sound quality, wins hands down. Although the Stratos is rated at 50wpc less, it never once came close to sounding compressed or distorted, even pumping it into reference levels on speakers that were rated 86 dB/w and 300W power handling. I think that the best way to describe the Rotel amp is as neutral, while the Odyssey is smooth. While the Rotel did everything right, the Odyssey did everything with a sense or realism, from soundstaging to imaging to timbre to slam, everything just sounded RIGHT. I hope this makes sense[​IMG] Anyways, that's JMHO, and I can't speak for the 1080, but I thought the Stratos was the better amp.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Lévesque it was an unfortunate situation with your amp and your relationship with dealer your amp originally came from. It wouldn't be proper to discuss it here but I do want to say that Rotel does care a great deal about its customers and relies on its dealer network to support the products they sell. I agree there are people out there with a problem that points to the 1095's design but there's also thousands of people out there with out a problem that are very happy with their purchase. Anyway the point being if you're looking to buy a 1095 buy one of the newer ones and you'll be sure it won't have a problem unless you have a real grounding issue on your power lines.

BTW Rich YGM

9. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

If your budget is $4500, you have plenty of choices. And if you don't mind used, you have even more choices. Your speakers are pretty efficient so you can use almost any amp. I'd suggest looking at Bryston and Theta. Both have excellent reputations for quality and service and are highly regarded in the audiophile community. They're usually Stereophile-rated Class A or B. And Bryston is famous for it's 20 year transferrable warranty.

10. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have had both Rotel and Odyssey in my system, although the comparison isn't fair. The Rotel I used was the 1050 (only 70x2) as a stopgap amp during a transition period between amps. I currently have an Odyssey Dual Mono Stratos in my system now (180x2) although I have no experience with it's sibling, the regular Stratos.

I have only had 4 amps in my short time with separates (Anthem MCA-5, Rotel 1050, Sherbourn 5/1500A and the Dual Mono Stratos) and the Odyssey is easily the best of the bunch. The most musical, the smoothest, the least fatiguing with plenty of muscle when needed. It's an awesome amp no question, the only problem is the 2 month waiting period to get your hands on one. Klaus is unbelievable to work with, he'll actually call you at your house a month after you get the amp to check on it's break in, how you like it, how it's operating, etc. He really does go above and beyond the call of duty.

[​IMG] [​IMG] for Odyssey

11. KrisCH

KrisCH Auditioning

Thanks for the replies everyone. It sounds like for those who have heard both odysseys and rotel in person, Odyssey wins out. I may have to give a call to Klaus. I went and auditioned Rotel today but without anything to compare to it does not do much good.

Evan, the amps you mention are all ones I have considered at one point or another, interesting to know you prefer the odyssey.

12. Rich Wenzel

Andrew, what does YGM mean? sorry, not up on my Internet Acronyms.

Levesque, just to be clear, I never owned a 1095. I said in my original post, that I had heard that. As it turns out, you are one of the people that I heard it from. I also want to say I think overall, that Rotel is very good to its customers. I like the way they support their processors. Other brands in this price range do not support that receivers and pre/pros to the same level. (I consider Anthem at a higher price range, don't want to insult Anthem).

Kris,

I would strongly look at the cary A-5, www.upscaleaudio.com has it for $2800...people have compared it to the BAT 6200 at 10k and the theta at $6k...

Rich

13. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Sorry to hear of your troubles with Rotel Levesque.

I own both the 1090 and the 1095. My first 1090 had a shut down problem. But, my dealer sent it to Rotel and Rotel exchanged it without a hitch. Never had any problem with the 1095. So, I haven't had to deal with Rotel and any issues with it. I think the key to most problem comes down with how a local dealer treats you. Most if not all products I purchased from a local dealer. Has been handled to my satisfaction just about ever time. Having a good relationship with a local dealer can really pay off.

I think you can find someone who has a horror story from just about every company. I'm not defending Rotel. And I really don't know the whole story. So, all I can say is that I'm sorry for your experience with your power amp and Rotel.