Rotel Vs. Denon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Olivier P., Dec 17, 2002.

1. Olivier P.

Olivier P. Auditioning

I hope someone can Help me out ...

My current set consist of B&w CDM7-NT Fronts, B&w DM 600 S3 rear en B&w ASW675 Sub. Currently powered by a Yamaha RX-V620RDS. Now, The Yammie has got to go !!

It is not musical and way to bright ...

I have 2 options, I can buy a Denon 3802 for 850 € or I can buy a Rotel RSX-972 for 995 €. In belgium the normal price for those receivers is 1500 € for the denon and 1585 € for the Rotel... I know , it's much cheaper in the VS ...

Any ideas, I want a warm sounding , detailed and musical solution ...

I just can't decide...

Thx

2. Arnold van Oostrum

Olivier,

I think the best you can do is listen to both. The Rotel is an older model, that has NO DPL-II, DD-EX and DTS-ES. The Rotel is very musical with a warm and good detailed sound.

The Denon has more recent surround options that the Rotel lacks. The Denon sounds detailed but a little bright. The Denon sounds a little more dynamic.

With your wishes (warm, detail and musical) I think the Rotel is your choice.
    The newer Rotel RSX-1055 is very much like the 972, but has all the new surrounds options.

3. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I agree with Arnold about the 1055, its a great receiver. I should know as I have one being used as a preamp.

I used to have a Denon 3802 and the 1055 blows it away. The sound is much more detailed and focused. The 1055 can drive 4 ohm speakers without any problems, how many receivers can say that?

I have older Klipsch speakers(kg series) and the Rotel matches up perfect with them. With my 3802 and Acurus amps watching a movie at reference levels was difficult, with the 1055 its easy.

Earle

4. Olivier P.

Olivier P. Auditioning

Hmmm ..

I'am leaning more towards the Rotel RSX-972.
    If I could buy the 1055, There would be no problem ...
    Al the processing options of the 3802 and the amp of the 972...

Nobody knows where I could get the RSX-1055 cheap ?
    It has to be shipped to Belgium ...

THx