Rotel stereo Pre-amps

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bob_S, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I'm looking for a good solid state preamp for my future stereo. All I need is 2 channel. I've been looking at rotel and I'm curious if anyone has experience with the RC-1070 & 1090? I haven't yet had the chance to go listen to them but will soon. Basically I'm just wondering is the 1090 worth the extra money? All I really know about it is what I've read on there site but does anyone have any other knowledge? One thing i'm concered with is I will add a sbwoofer eventually but for now it will just be 2 towers, anyway, neither appear to have a sub-out. Are there any stereo preamps in their price range that do?

Thanks
    Bob

2. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

?

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I don't know what the 1090 or 1070 cost and aside from whatever spec diffs there are the 1090 has balanced XLR outs, but why not look at the RSP 1066 or 1068. Although they are HT processors I own the 1066 and it has fantastic stereo reproduction. As a matter of fact I listen to more stereo since getting the 1066. You will then get the sub out and be ready for hi rez MC down the road.[​IMG]

4. Kiet_H

Kiet_H Stunt Coordinator

I currently have the RC-1070 pre-amp and like it very much. Regarding the sub output, I do not know of any stereo pre-amp that has a sub preout since stereo two channel does not contain a LFE channel that requires a LFE out. What the 1070 does have it even better than a sub(LFE) output channel. The 1070 has two sets of pre-outs. IMHO this is better because you can use the first set out preouts for your amp two drive your 2 speakers and use the second set of preouts to drive your sub (since you have both a Left and Right channel you get higher gain in the sub). Or you can use the two sets of pre-outs to bi-amp your main speakers.. The two sets of pre-outs that the 1070 has is alot more flexible than just 1 set of pre-outs and a single sub(LFE) out. As for is the 1090 worth the price increase over the 1070, that is a personal choice you have to make based on the extras you get with the 1090. Personally, for 2 channel stereo sound, I the 1070 is the best bang for the buck and the 1090 is just overkill that I will never use all the extras on.. I have the RC-1070 pre-amp, a RB-1080 2 Channel Power Amp, a NAD 520 CD Player and two Energy C-7's for speakers.. I love the set up and don't know how the 1090 would benefit me more than the 1070 and not worth the extra price...

Click here to see my system...

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Here's a review of the RC-1070 from shortly after it was released. The reviewer liked the 1070 quite a bit, but seemed especially impressed with the phono section.

An RSP-1068 will run about 3X the cost of an RC-1070 and in 2 channel mode doesn't sound as good, IMO. I've never done a direct comparision of the RC-1070 to the RSP-1066/1068, but I have listened to quite a few other 2 channel analog pre-amps and digital processors, including a few in my own system. The problem with using HT processors as analog stereo pre-amps is that they were designed to be HT processors. For pure 2 channel sound quality it is my experience that few digital A/V processors, even in analog bypass mode, can match a well designed stereo pre-amp, without costing a lot more.

OTOH, multi-channel analog processors, such as the McCormack MAP-1 or Margules Daleth in 2 channel mode could sound as good as a dedicated stereo pre-amp, but would still cost more.

6. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I had both the RSX-1055 (used as preamp only) and the RC-1070, both of which are great products. I think the key word for the 1070 is "transparent." While I do not know of the sonic differences b?w the 1055/1066 and the 1056/1068, I can say that the 1070 was a noticeable upgrade in 2ch reproduction over the 1055, with a lower noise floor, more depth and clarity, and better imaging. The sonic characteristics were very similar, with the 1070 having a sweeter midrange and an "earthier" feeling, especially noticeable with female vocals and wind instruments (trumpets, saxes, orchestral, etc.) It is my experience that 2ch reproduction in HT prepros is about equal to that of 2ch preamps 1/4 the price. I came to this conclusion comparing my old Sonic Frontiers to my Anthem AVM-20, the Rotel Units, and the Musical Fidelity A3cr to both Lexicon and Bryston HT units.
    Also, I was looking at the 1090, but the extra amenities did not warrant the hike in price. I did not notice a big enough difference in sound quality (I actually hardly noticed any) between the 1090 and 1070 for the bump in pricing.

This is a very good point, as with the extra set of preouts, you can either choose to biamp your speakers, or if you are using a sub, you can send the extra set of outs to the crossover on the sub to assist in the low-end reproduction. However, I think that there are a few preamps that do have internal crossovers to feed the sub, such as units by Music Hall and Norh, but I am not exactly sure. Either way, you can do the same sort of thing if you buy an external crossover, like an Outlaw ICBM or one of the models made by Paradigm. Hope this helped

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You can always wire a sub in using the high level inputs. You run wires from the speaker outs on the preamp to the sub, and then wire the speakers to the sub.

And Rotel gear is probably the best buy in its price range for more or less anything they make. You shouldn't worry too much, I don't think you can go wrong with Rotel.

8. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks alot for the advice. I'm pretty set on the 1070, once I go demo it i'll know for sure. Now, I know this is audiophile on a budget equiptment, which leads e to my next question. I plan on getting a pair of Martin Logan Ascent's. Am I cheaping out on them, by which I mean am I not doing the ML's justice by getting the 1070? Should I be looking at stuff thats more highend?

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Absolutely not. The 1070 is going to be fine. What power amp are you looking to use ? For those, I'd recommend the RB-1080, or you could get a used Bryston 4BST for that price if you're into that (buying used).

My dealer had a pair of Clarities running off a smaller Arcam integrated amp without issue. You'll be fine with Rotel, but as always, audition audition audition!

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

I agree with Drew, the RC-1070 will work fine with the ML's. In this case, the quality of the amplifier is what is critical. The Bryston and Rotel will do nicely, but so would the 2 channel Sherbourn or Panasonic, or if you can find one, a used Proceed. Each of these will sound different, it really is a matter of personal preference.

11. Kiet_H

Kiet_H Stunt Coordinator

As I mention before, I have the RC-1070 hooked up to my RB-1080. I have driven a pair of Martin Logan Ascents before that belong to my friend. There is no problems driving the ML... However, I am not a big fan of Electrostatic speakers...

12. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

The 1080 is the amp I was considering. Hopefully When I go demo them they'll cut me a deal because I plan to also buy the RCD-1072 and the RDV-1050(and the 1070 of course). Thanks alot for the advice I'll be sure to post up once I get everything finished.

13. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

10-15% off should be a good chunk to aim for, maybe more if you're getting multiple components.

Why get a CD player and a DVD player as well (assuming they're for the same setup)?