Rotel seperates for 5 channel HT?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James~P, Jun 16, 2004.

1. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

What Rotel seperates setup would you suggest for a 5 channel HT with B&W 602 S3s all around?

Budget is flexible... I need to get an idea of what the costs are before I set one though. Thanks.

2. James~P

What Rotel seperates setup would you suggest for a 5 channel HT with B&W 602 S3s all around?

Budget is flexible... I need to get an idea of what the costs are before I set one though. Thanks.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Depending on your budget the two Rotel pre amps are the 1098 and the 1068. For power amps you have a choice of the 1075 which is a 5 * 125 or the 1095 which is 5 * 200 watts. I'm running the 1098 pre amp with the 1075 power amp and would love to add a 1080 2 channel power amp for the mains to complete the system. The MSRP prices are on the Rotel web site to give you some idea of cost but most people seem to get betwee 10 and 15 percent off list.

4. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

No offense but that seems like overkill for 602's. If you're planning to upgrade the speakers then definitely think about the 1068+1075 or 1056 receiver.

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Don't forget that amps are pieces of equipment that are great to pick up used. I have two amps for my 5 channel set up w/the elder 1066 as my pre pro: 985mkII 5channel amp, ~110W/ch, the predecessor to the 1075 I believe. Bought for $500 shipped ($1k list new) and was my first amp which did power 602 s2's for a while. Bought the 1080, 2 ch amp 200W/ch, for $600 shipped ($1k list new). Both amps were plucked off of Audiogon.

Bob

6. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I was also thinking that Rotel is overkill for those speakers.

But if you go used it would make sense. A used Rotel 5 channel amp should go for around $500 on audiogon. The 1066 preamp (last year's model) should be around $800.

7. James~P

I plan to upgrade the speakers in the near future, which is why I'm upgrading my components now.

8. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

This makes tons of sense. I can't believe noone else automatically assumed you were on an upgrade path. This should be a safe assumption for many...upgraditis strikes again! [​IMG]

Now, to your question. You can get an RSX-1055 for an excellent price. They go for around $900 on audiogon/eBay *AT MOST*. I've seen them as low as $750. What's great about that now is that it has 5x75, which is excellent for those speakers, but it also has much of the processing power and whatever of the RSP-1066, which is much more expensive, both new and used. I remember when there were discussions here and at Club Rotel about how close the 1055 was to the 1066 in terms of processing. Naturally, as you upgrade, you can add amps to it, and that will probably depend on what speakers you intend to buy. In any case, it's in my opinion a very strong start for very little money.

9. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

A 1075 wouldn't be overkill for 6xx speakers, although the 1098 would be (and I would look at other makes of poweramps around the 2K mark instead of Rotel)

10. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I probably would have made such an assumption, except I came here from the speaker forum where he was asking about those 600 series speakers and which ones he should buy.

Not saying this to start an argument, just trying to say that the point about Rotel being overkill may be valid if he's buying all these things new right now.

11. James~P

I already have two B&W 602s and am buying three more to make five-channel.

I will be upgrading the mains after this, then rears after that.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If you wanted to upgrade more slowly I'd start with the 1056 receiver as its got most of the sonic benefits the 1068 pre amp has as well as the significantly improved flexibility over the older 1055 unit. You could then add a power amp when you upgrade your mains by either adding a 1080 2 channel amp or a 1075/1095 5 channel amp depending on your listening habits and requirement for zone two opperation etc.

13. James~P

I have a Maranetz SR4200 reciever right now, would it be a good idea to buy just the poweramp section and use the SR4200 as a pre until my speakers are upgraded?

14. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

James, that makes sense to me. If you already have the Marantz, you might as well use it for a while longer. That's what I'm planning to do with my Denon.

15. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Sure that makes sense...take a look at the 1075 or even the 1095 if you really feel you need that much power (though I doubt you will)

16. Bing Fung

Bing Fung Agent

I wouldn't say the Rotel is Overkill for the 600's. I use to drive my 603's with a Bryston 3B and it sounded great, but could use more power. I could drive the Bryston to Clipping with out the 603's losing control or sounding distorted.

That said, the 600's (particularly) the 603's sound very nice with the 1098/1080 combo in my opinion. Sure it's maybe considered over the top to some but I don't think so. As others have eluded to, Typical HT's are in a constant state of evolution, so more times than not if a person plans ahead, they will generally have some piece of equipment that is more than their current needs.. Thats what I love about it [​IMG]

For a sensible system the 1068/1075 would be more than adequate. For a system that will provide more flexibility for future upgrades, the 1068/1095 combo with the Bigger amp could drive and control a wider range of speakers.

You could start with the 1068/1075 combo and then add the 1080 at a later date (as Andrew Suggested) for a more powerful Stereo system while having 7 channels of Amplification. Thats the Beauty of the Rotel system, they offer so many ways to configure an easily upgradable system with lots of equipment choices. Plus it sounds beautiful to boot [​IMG]

17. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

How much do you want to spend? I mean, a 1098/1095 combo is also nice, but it depends how much you want to plop down on this right now.

18. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I would have no hesitation recommending the Rotels, especially if you might be upgrading your speakers in the future. It's that word: upgraditis. Too many times in the past, I've bought something, only to be tempted by other equipment in the future...usually near future. It only ends up costing me more in the end if I don't buy what I MIGHT end up wanting shortly down the road. This is especially true of power amps and speakers, which might last a decade or more of good use. Pre/pros and certain other gear might be a different story if you're going to want or need the latest and greatest new technology in a year or two. So, you might want to consider getting the 1055 for now and adding on a good power amp that will meet your future needs down the road. The 1055 has not only the advantage of costing less than the 1066, new or used, but of having partially assignable power amps should you choose to go 7.1 in the future.

Obviously, just my opinion, but I want to innoculate myself from the upgraditis bug for a good long time.

19. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Having too much power is never a bad idea. If you can get a 1095 for a reasonable price do it you won't be disappointed. When I got my 1095 I was using it too power Paradigm Mini Monitors/CC350 setup. Was it overkill? Sure, but at $1500CDN I wasn't going to pass it up. It also gave me a reason to upgrade my speakers to the new Studio(v3) 40/20/570

As far as the pre/pro goes again if you have the money get the best you can afford. No need to upgrade down the road to get what you wanted in the first place. Though if you use your Marantz as the pre/pro and purchase an amp you could use the money you were going to use on the new pre to start your speaker upgrade.

Kevin

20. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

The 1095 is a lovely amp but some folks have had mains noise problems with them which do not seem to afflict the 1075. Therefore, I would be hesitant to buy this amp online unless I was postive there was no electrical incompatibility.