What's new

Rotel RSX-1056 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's at least a couple of guys in Club Rotel saying they have theirs and a dealer's posted saying he has some in stock.

Fran Lu

Grip
Rich (I don't suppose you have a sister named Amy do you?) :)

It does indeed have 3 component video ins in addition to a multitude of other ins and outs that I don't know what to do with all of them!

I won't be able to set it up until I get my basement finished (next weekend). I can't stand it! It's like someone setting your favorite food in front of you, but told you can't eat it for another week.

I'm not sure what the bass management issue is either.

Josh, if I were you, I'd try to get ahold of the 1056. It's the same price that the 1055 was, plus they replaced the processors with the processors that were in the flagship model, if my understanding is correct. Additionally, they up'ed the component video switching to be able to handle HD signals. It's worth it.

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
great, last thing i need is someone convincing me to spend more money ;)

how future-proof will the 1056 be for me? apart from power issues (aka add an amp), will the processing etc be sufficient for the next 6 years or so? I'm looking at starting dental school in a year or so, and will have NO cash to upgrade, i'm sure.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm considering this unit as well and the future proof stuff is worrying me with Rotel. Their 1055 was "future Proof" yet they are not going to offer PLIIX which is on the new 1056..

I guess the new 1056 has more processing power but I can't imagine there will be a whole lot come out in the next 5 years that will advance home theater other than HDMI or DVI. If you don't need or think that DVI switching will be a big deal then I'd say its probably pretty future proof due to their support and if you can live w/o DVI switching which I can.

Just remember though that if you want to add the extra 2 channels, you need to buy an external amp to go 7.1. Combined with the higher initial cost to get into this piece and the purchase of another amp, I'm not sure if I can spend the extra.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The 1055's BM issue was that it had a fixed 100 hz crossover on the multi channel input that wasn't defeatable....well almost not defeatable. There's a rather simple work around that involves cutting two capacitors on one of the boards that is very easy to do and is well documented on Club Rotel.
The new 1068 like the 1098 it's based on has an option in the menu to either enable or disable this cross over if you so choose.

The 1055's and 1066's were/are upgradeable via software updates. There's only so much you can do via software though and at this point the older units have pretty much been maxed out as far as processing power etc. The 1068 uses the same chips as the 1098 so they have much great processing power...but like everything in this industry sooner or later (likely sooner) there's going to be something come out that even these won't be able to do...its just the nature of the beast. To think these will still be state of the art in 6 years is foolish...just like any PC bought today is going to feel old in a few years. If you really do want something that's upgradeable to the degree it will be current 6 plus years from now you're going to have to pony up the funds for something like the Lexicon's etc...and even then be prepared to pay $$ for upgrades where as Rotels software upgrades have always been free of charge.

all in all the 1055's still a very solid purchase esp. given the clearence prices they're going for now. It has most of the new formats and its XS processing is very good and mimics PLIIx fairly well. The 1056 however is more flexible with improved BM, DAC's and has video upconversion etc that all make it worth the extra money if you can afford it.

JasonBrandon

Agent
Thanks for the info Andrew. Are you a moderator over at Club Rotel? Also, what do you think is a fair price for a used 1055?

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Yes i'm a mod there. As for a fair price used ones are going for about $1000 or slightly less...at least they were the last time I checked. Take a look at Audiogon and see what the prices are there as a benchmark.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
As for future upgradeability and worries about Rotel, dont be...

There is nothing in this price range that has been as good about updating as Rotel has...

Almost all firms putting out receivers in the sub $1500 range offer no upgradeability. The life cycle of the 1055 was almost 3 years...You can't name many (any? arcam 200 comes to mind, but feature wise its archaic) that have lasted 3 years. The 1055 holds up well...The only major difference between the 1055 and 1056 is dpl2x. I dont consider the extra component in major. All of the receivers in this price range by Sony, H&K, Marantz, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, etc. were not upgradeable. Instead of updating them, they put out a new version. I consider Rotel's track record here to be the leader not a trailer...I doubt anyone would argue with that.

As for the bandwidth of the component videos of the 1055, the early ones didnt have enough, you could send it in and have that fixed for about $100. Not too long after they were issued with plenty of bandwidth.

As for a fair price for rotel 1055, I feel its going to drop sub $1000 brand new very soon.

Rich

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator
just saw my dealer an hour ago, he said the 1056 isn't in but he'll do the 1055 for $1040. Apart from that I'm looking heavily at the marantz 7400.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Does Rotel charge for upgrades like the recent Marantz models? I think Marantz justifies it since the upgrade is hardware and software, but I wish they'd offer software only that I could do myself, rather than give up the unit for a time. Does Rotel offer upgrades via web download?

Chris

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
All Rotel's firmware upgrades have been free. They do charge $100 for the HDTV upgrade if required (only for some very early units)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks