Rotel RSX-1056 Vs. RSDX-02

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ArthurJ, Aug 12, 2004.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

-Will only be doing 5.1
    -Can get aftremarket Denon DVD, but will only be in the $200 range

I don't know which option to go with, the all-in-one is attractive but I just don't know. Thanks!

2. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Also, I get Denon for cost...

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

bump

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

As a rule, I am not a fan of 'combo' units, particularly above the mass market, big box store level. I would get the RSX-1056 and a separate DVD player.

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Easy - for performance go for the receiver + separate DVDP.

Integrated units are poop in my opinion [​IMG]. Seriously speaking, they make some major compromises to fit everything in one bo - and one of the major compromises is performance. Not worth it imo.

6. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Jason,

What major performance aspects are compromised? If you're going to say something back it up [​IMG]

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

When you think about the physical size of the boxes, you can see that some compromises have to be made, especially since the 02 has a CD transport inside it as well.

This is a no-brainer from me from the standpoint of upgradability and just having separate components. The more you split things up the better. Same idea as getting processor and amp out of the same box. Dedicated circuitry, power supplies, isolation, etc...

8. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

This still doesn’t answer my question as to what “performance” compromises have been made. I have heard that with the direct video source you get better PQ simply because there are fewer connections between the processor and the video, I don’t know if this is true. This is why I ask for a direct answer to this.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

There is no direct answer. The differences in performance, especially audio in these receivers, are entirely subjective. Some may hear differences, some may not. What you're asking is similar to asking "What is the best speaker?".

I don't know what you want us to tell you. I'm not a Rotel engineer, I can't tell you transistor A has been replaced with transistor B in circuit 137D, and so forth with all the exact differences.

Why don't you go to your dealer and do a comparison. If you can't tell a difference, then it's not going to matter to you which you choose.

10. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I'm not a rotel engineer either (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last month).

With the integrateded DVD/Receiver you're sticking an awful lot of functionality in a single box. Typically this means a shared power supply, possibilty of interference, etc. Will this make an (audible) difference to you? Only you can tell.

If one will look simply at specs, have a look at the integrated's amplifier section. Rotel is usually pretty honest about how it rates amp sections and is pretty honest about the -02... and it doesn't compare to their receivers.

You will get more headroom with a better amplifier section and generally better sound. You also do sacrifice ease of upgradability with the -02; it essentially cannot be upgraded. It doesn't switch component video. You can't add an outboard amp. Will this matter to you? I don't know but it would matter to me [​IMG]

In fairness there are definite benefits with the integrated unit. It should be easy to set up and use, and it doesn't take up much space. For freaks like us these criteria are generally unimportant - but not everyone out there is a freak. Keep in mind that you ARE dealing with freaks on this site, and generally you will get answers reflecting that.

Couple more things -

- regarding video: in theory avoiding all video switching (running straight from source to display device) is indeed ideal. Note that you can do this with a receiver+separate DVDP by simply running the video out direct to the TV. It's a bit more complex to operate (maybe have to do a bit more video switching) though.

- you haven't mentioned how big your room is or what speakers you're looking at driving. If it's tiny room the -02 might be the perfect solution. If you're converting a detached garage into a HT you'll probably be disappointed.

- if you get Denon at cost, have you considered some of their receivers? Perhaps the 3805 or the upcoming 48XX and 58XX?

11. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Jason, that was the answer I was looking for. Thank you. I have not considered Denon but now that I think about it I might.

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I was under the impression that the features had already been compared...that our discussion here about the merits of one over the other beyond the spec/features sheet.

Continuing my "off the spec sheet" approach, the Denon and Rotel will be different sonically. Or rather, I should say that to my ears, there is a difference.

Lets go to something more practical. Sonics are extremely important, but how about the functionality? How easy is it to get this thing up and running? This leads to: which amp has better configurability? Manuals for Denon and Rotel receivers are available for download. The true test of ease of use can only be at a dealer though. There is a reason they have demo rooms.

And yes, your local dealer wants to make a sale. But for the most part, they are very helpful people. Talk to them, they know their products, and they'll provide some useful advice.

As Jason said, there are more factors than just a receiver. You have to look at the big picture...which receiver will integrate best into the system you have, or are working towards putting together? If you don't work with some sort of endgame in mind, you're going to waste a whole lot of money.

13. PhillJones

PhillJones Second Unit