ROtel RSX-1056 and 6 Ohm speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by vasia, May 4, 2004.

1. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

I am checking out the Rotel SRX-1056 and the manual and the back of the unit says 8Ohm speakers or higher. What would happen if I hooked up 6 Ohm speakers. In particular, Axiom M60's I am considering are 8 Ohm, but VP150 center is 6 Ohm. Does it mean that I cannot efficiently use SRX-1056 for this combo and would need a separate amp for center and maybe surrounds, which are also rated 6 Ohms?

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Rotel shouldn't have a problem with 6 ohm speakers...even 4 ohm loads should be ok in my experience

3. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi Andrew,
    Do you mean that Rotel 1055/1056 receivers can drive 6 Ohms speakers efficiently? Do you by any chance know why the manual would specifically say to use 8 and higher Ohm speakers?
    Thanks for your help!

4. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

I am seriously considering some 6 Ohm speakers, so this issue is very important for me.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

6 Ohm speakers should be perfectly fine, especially if in a mix and match situation with 8 Ohm Mains. I have run several setups like this with nothing more than H/K receiver power and have encountered no issues.

If the entire speaker set under consideration is 6 Ohm you can always add in more amp power if needed but the situation you describe should pose no problem to the Rotel.

6. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Thanks for the clarification!