Rotel RSX-1055 same as 1066??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert McClanahan, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a Rotel RSX-1055 for just under$1200.00 including tax.I have seen the RSP-1066 processor and can find no difference between the two except the 1055 has five 75watt high current amps.My question is why would Rotel charge so much more for a 1066?The 1055 even has a RDS(radio data system) tuner!!

2. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Thats why I bought my 1055. Great receiver.

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

According to Rotel, there are some differences, but, from what I've read, you'd be hard pressed to notice any of these differences sonically. Yes, considering most consider the 1066 a pretty good deal at its price point, you got a magnificent bargain, given the power amp is assignable and the addition of the tuner. Now, you won't have to spend the extra money should you decide to go 7.1. So, given that you bought if for significantly less than most can get the 1066, you got unbelievable equipment for the price. I'll say you did well...[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Robert McClanahan

Dana,do you work for Rotel?[​IMG] Just kidding.This is the first receiver in my view that is worthy of later being a seperate pre/pro if I later upgrade the power.I think this unit sounds so much better than the Japanese rigs I have auditioned with all the bells and whistles.[​IMG]

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Im using it as a preamp with a 1070 and a 985mkII amp. Sounds great.

Couldnt see spending the extra $$$ for the 1066 when I wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

Earle

6. Robert McClanahan

Earle, did you know the processing chip in the 1055 and 1066 is the same one used in the Theta casablanca?[​IMG]

7. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I didnt know that. Very Cool[​IMG] Nice to know that your getting the same processing as the high dollar machines.
    With the new firmware ver 1.48 in beta testing, hopefully the BM problems will be fixed. So far Rotel has been great with their customer service.
    Happy Holidays
    Earle

8. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

As for me working for Rotel, you'd think they'd get the hint and hire me for their advertising department, wouldn't you? [​IMG] You're gonna love that receiver. And, not just for home theater. The two channel is superb for a stand alone unit.
    Oh, and one more suggestion. I'm going to link you to a site when they have a dedicated Rotel discussion board. It's the best place to keep updated on new developments with Rotel.
    Here
    Signed,
    Dana,
    Chief Advertising Wannabe,
    Rotel Corp.

9. Robert McClanahan

Dana,you da man!!!

10. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

one question about the older rsx-1055's (i have one), is the lower video bandwith fixed with a firmware upgrade (i.e. is it a software problem) or is it hardware fix?

I was thinking about using the componenet switching on my rsx.

Thanks,

Rich

11. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Rich,

I'm pretty sure the video bandwidth upgrade is a hardware issue and will need to go back to Rotel to be upgraded.

Earle

12. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Yes we owners' of the older ones will have to send it in for an upgrade.[​IMG]

13. Wolfgang.K

Wolfgang.K Agent

Hmmm....interesting. I was considering the 1066. Looks like I should give the RSX-1055 A listen.

Does anybody have Canadian pricing on these units. What is the best price i can expect to pick it up for? Oh and the
    RMB-1075 if possible would be much appreciated.

W.K

14. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I picked up my 1066 +100' of 12g wire and 2 DVD's for 1850.00 $CDN at the end of June here in Saskatoon. So you should be able to get a 1055 for somewhat less. [​IMG]
    P.S Merry X-Ma$

15. Wolfgang.K

Wolfgang.K Agent

Thanks Brent!
    That seems quite good [​IMG].
    Thanks again,
    W.K