Rotel RSX-1055 Owners - A few questions for you.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

A few questions for you on the RSX-1055.

1 - How do you like the RSX-1055? Any problems with it?

2 - I see that there has been multiple upgrades for the RSP-1066. Is the RSX-1055 treated the same way?

3 - Does it have DD-EX?

4 - How well would this work? I would like to reassign the front L/R channels to power the rear backs and then use my Rotel RB-1080(2x200)amp to power the front L/R. Anyone do this without problems?

5 - How much does it cost?

6 - Anything else I should know?

Thanks so much.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

1 - How do you like the RSX-1055? Any problems with it?

Only the bass management which is been addressed right now.

2 - I see that there has been multiple upgrades for the RSP-1066. Is the RSX-1055 treated the same way?

The 1055 and 1066 use the same firmware so when one gets updated so does the other.

3 - Does it have DD-EX?

yes

4 - How well would this work? I would like to reassign the front L/R channels to power the rear backs and then use my Rotel RB-1080(2x200)amp to power the front L/R. Anyone do this without problems?

Many people are doing exactly the same thing

5 - How much does it cost?

depends on how much your dealer will come down from list...figure 10 to 20 percent off list ($2000 cdn)

6 - Anything else I should know?
    There's a dedicated Rotel user forum on the HTGuide site

3. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Andrew -

Thanks for the information. Any ETA on the Bass Mgt fix?

4. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else have an opinion on the 1055?

5. Gianni

Gianni Agent

I had a chance to demo the 1055 and compare it to a B&K avr307. Keep in mind that the 307 is over twice the price. I like B&K and was sure the 307 would have a leg up on the 1055.

In a nutshell, the differences were much more subtle than I expected. Granted, they were using different sources for CD, but they were of similar quality. In this setup, the 307 actually came off as a bit brighter. In all other areas,the two were remarkably close. I think you would probably start to see the differences in the two with more demanding speakers or at higher output levels.

All in all, the 1055 did very well--quite well for the price point.

6. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

The 1055 is a great receiver. Match it up with a 2 channel amp and you have the making for a sweet HT/music setup. The 1055 blows my Denon 3802 away both in HT and music. Seems to be more focused and detailed. I have been noticing new things on both cd and dvd.

Im sure that Rotel will take care of the BM issues with the next software upgrade.

Ask away.

Earle

PS. Got my 1055 for $1170+tax

7. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Earle -

I am considering using my 2 channel amp for powering the front speakers but I read somewhere that choosing to redirect the power from the front L/R speakers to the back rear speakers did not work right (a 1055 bug). Are you setup this way and if so do you run into any problems?

Thanks.

8. Arnold van Oostrum

Those re-direct problems are cured with new firmware. Problem was that the re-direct info was lost after powering down the unit and had to re-entered everytime the was switched on. That's cured now.

9. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Joe,

Im using a Rotel 985mkII 5 channel amp and having the receiver power the center backs. Arnolds right about the firmware fix, have had no problems once I upgraded to version 1.47

Earle

10. Joe

Joe Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the 1055 info. I'm really torn between the following 3 options.

In each option I would use my existing Rotel RB1080 2ch amp to power my front Paradigm 60s. Rear center speakers are some older Boston Acoustics. Paradigm center as well.

1 - $1200 - Buy the 1055 and Paradigm mini monitors for the rear sides.

2 - $1300 - Buy the Marantz 8200 and Paradigm mini monitors.

3 - $2500 - Sell the kids and buy the Rotel 1066 pre/pro, RMB 1075 5 ch amp and Paradigm mini monitors.

Option - for another $300, I could replace the mini monitors with the Studio 20s. Do you think 20s are a waste?

If money and space were not a problem, #3 would be my choice. Unfortunetly, I'm tight on both but could still possibly pull it off. I just don't need to spend the extra grand for a slightly noticable sound improvement.

Any comments????

11. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Have you listened to the Marantz? Listen to both and get the one that you like.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd go for the Rotel 1055 with the upgrade to the studio 20's...they're a much better sounding speaker then the mini's.

13. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

one thing that is nice about the 1055, kind of a hidden bonus, is that everytime rotel updates its highest end hometheater product (1066), you get that update on your receiver...doesn't sound like much, but audio companies tend to update their higher end stuff more often...

one annoying thing, and it may go away with newer firmwares (just havent had the time to do look into it) is that if you have dpl2 or dts neo6 on, you can hear little clicks when you change the volume of the unit.

rich

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer