1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Rotel RSP 976

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike ZQ, May 30, 2002.

1. Mike ZQ

Mike ZQ Extra

I'm thinking of getting this prepro, was a demo unit. Is there any issues or known problems with this model that would make me not want to buy.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Some of the early Rotel pre amps had an issue locking onto the DTS signal so I'd make sure that's not the case with this unit. What are they asking for it?

3. Mike ZQ

Mike ZQ Extra

They would like 750.00
    Sound like a fair price?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

hmm at that price I'd pass and look at a newer solution. The Outlaw 950 isn't much more then that and its got more features and newer DAC's.

5. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

The 976 is a pretty nice piece. My local Rotel dealer is selling them new at $700. However; there is another Rotel dealer a few towns away that said the best he could do would be $950.

I just bought a refurb. RSP-985 for $600. This unit originally retailed for $2,000!! So far I like the unit a lot. It is very thin on features (no 6/7 channel, no DD-EX, DTS-ES, DPLII, no component switching) but what I decided that what matters most to me is the SOUND! For a $600 Pre/Pro this thing sounds phenomenal. I upgraded from a Denon AVR-3200 and there is no contest. The 976 probably sounds very similar to the 985 except that it has a few more features (component switching, front panel display, etc.)

If you're on a tight budget I say go for it. You may want to upgrade it a few years from now as the new formats become more popular but that's probably true of any Pre/Pro.

6. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Mike, one more thing-The RSP-985 did have some issues with early production runs. I believe the issues had to do with some bad DSP chips. Rotel supposedly corrected these problems with later revs.

I have not heard of any such problems with the 976. My local dealer said that they had very few returns.

7. Mike ZQ

Mike ZQ Extra

Thanks for the input guys. I did buy it. The dealer isn't open yet, and I am having a problem getting the OSD to come up. I have a Hitachi 53UWX. I have about exhausted every cable swap available and still no OSD.
    And the manual is no help at all.
    I'm wondering if I have a defective unit?
    Any ideas or solutions?

Again, thanks for any help.

Mike

8. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

I had a 976 and it sounded great- as a matter of fact, just sold it to upgrade to the 1066. Honestly, if you wanted the 1066 but could not afford it and were willing to do without some features, the 976 is a no-brainer. It sounds very similar to the 1066.

Cheers

Andrew B.