Rotel RSP-1066 vs. Parasound AVC-2500u

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew Pratt, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The 1066 is newer, has all the latest surround formats and comes with a 5 year warrenty...what does the Parasound offer then that Rotel doesn't?

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Which, in your opinion, is the better preamp/processor and why?

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

What about sound quality? Is there a difference?

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

The Parasound has a 10 year warranty, much higher price tag. I dont think you are talking apples to apples, two grossly different price points. I have some experience with the 2500 as a close friend has one, he has had some issues, returned it (after 3 years) for repair and upgrade, no charge and less rhan 1 week turn around, Georgia to SoCal and back. I know they have been lots of help over the phone. The 2500 is 5.1 DD, DTS, THX Ultra, I always considered it a higher level piece as I was looking at the Rotel, however I ended up with the Marantz AV9000, I prefer 5.1 , dont care to have anymore, that is what stopped me from buying the Rotel (I do use Rotels amps 985THXmk2/ 981)actually I would prefer the 976 over the 1066, no doubt it (1066) is a fine piece, I just dont like it (except for looks) You see a lot of threads in these forums about problems with the 1066. If I had a larger room I might reconsider and want the 1066.

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

This is just my 2 cents and only my ears, wants, and taste, but, when shopping for my pre-pro, I had the opportunity to buy either the 1066 or a floor model 2500u for approximately the same price, I chose the 1066. The reason was that I felt both would do a very credible job with HT applications, but it was very important to me which would perform better on two channel sound. To my ears, the Rotel bested the Parasound in this regard. I will say that the Parasound's bass management and some other things were upgraded. I think that's what the "u" at the end means, so this is also a major consideration. I own products by both these companies and would very willingly buy again from either of them. Both are top rate in my book.

Also, and please forgive me if I'm mistaking you for someone else, but I thought you had a 1066, Parasound amp, Klipsch reference speaker setup like me. Are you not liking it?

6. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

DanaA,

Yes you are correct. However, right now I am in the process or building my home theater. I have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers, Parasound HCA-2205AT amplifier, but no preamp/processor right now.

7. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I think the Parasound can be complicated to set-up, I know the menu system is complicated at least for my friend, he seems to have a lot of trouble with setting up, once set it is awesome. Let me put something in perspective: When my friend sent his off to be repaired he was so sure he wouldnt get it back for several months (I mentioned the 5 day turn) that he bought a HK AVR320 to use as a temp Pre/Pro, he will not be without music or HT. From a listeners point of view on DD 5.1 or DTS or 2 channel as those are the only modes he uses, you are hard pressed to notice he had something different in his system. I watched the entire Eagles DVD "Hell Freezes Over" and he had to show me where he had replaced his 2500, very interesting, not a good test as I was off guard but I would have thought there would have been a noticable difference.