Rotel RSP-1066 Reviewed in Sept/Oct Issue of...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik Farstad, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

...The Perfect Vision. I just read it and thought you'd all want to know it's out there! [​IMG]
    E

2. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Is it on newsstands or do you have a subscription? Overall, how did the 1066 do?

3. Erik Farstad

I saw it on the newstand...

They loved it's amazingly low noise floor. They did a test and noticed absolutely no noise with the gain turned to max! They said this is why it provides such amazing clarity during movie playback especially during quite passages/dialogue in movies. They loved the HDCD processing and all HT processing like DD, DTS, etc. They compared it to a 2-channel preamp costing 2x as much and the 1066 was only lacking in soundstage depth and transparency...but they said they weren't surprised given the 2x price difference. So basically the only knock they gave it was in 2-channel performance compared to higher priced equipment!

They said it's "another quality product that offers outstanding performance at blue collar prices!"

E

4. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

One of those reviewers needs to try working at McDonalds and THEN tell me a $3000 preamp/processor falls into the category of "blue collar" [​IMG]
    That's hardly affordable by most people, but I'm a big rotel fan and glad to see another positive review.

5. Erik Farstad

John, actually they said the Rotel was the blue collar price not the "other" preamp...

E

6. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

Wow, my bad... I must have been thinking of a different preamp... I thought the MSRP was $3000 on the 1066, but I just looked it up... $1500.
    Still though. I think a Sony home-theater-in-a-box is more "blue collar" than the 1066 [​IMG]

7. Erik Farstad

Agreed on that one John...[​IMG]
    E

8. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

You can buy the Rotel for $1250 or so and then pick up
    a used multichannel amp for around $700-$1000. So the cost
    (compared to recent top line receivers) is more than fair
    and a genuine bargain for what it is.

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

They missed the fact that Rotel's bass management doesn't work properly. So makes me wonder about the rest of their conclusions, or how in depth they really listened to it.

But they probably did get a unit after the noise floor fix (some internal ground problem early on).

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

The review was extremely good overall, but a few comments concerned me:

1) TPV referred to the sound saying that, "Sonically, the RSP-1066 controller had a slightly cooler cast overall, with a tinge of forward energy in the mids."

In regards to music only, what will this mean considering that I have speakers that are more forward sounding (Axioms)?

2) And that the "Mid- and upper bass output...seemed to obtain full bloom only at louder-than-average listening levels."

Again, in regards to music only, will I need to crank the sucker to hear the mid- and upper bass?

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

12. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

13. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

14. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

"But they probably did get a unit after the noise floor fix (some internal ground problem early on)."

Kevin, what units were these???

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

RH- No idea. But is here on HTF somewhere.

Andrew: I would agree except for the following: companies like Yamaha, Denon, etc, have included 5.1 analog inputs on their receivers for years. Somehow, they all got it right...

16. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jeff its that issue that I think should be fixable with a new firmware.

Kevin the rotel does have analog inputs and the only receiver that I know that has bass management on the analog inputs without converting the signal to digital is the Pioneer unit...are there others?

17. Dre J

Dre J Stunt Coordinator

Sonically, the RSP-1066 is very good for both HT and Music. Channel separation and imaging are a pleasure for me to experience with this unit.
    The bass management is broke. I've characterized it in my thread here:Rotel RSP-1066 Bass Management Report
    The 6.1 input is Broke as well and has nothing to do with the music format. The 6.0 channels are given a full range signal yet everything below 120 Hz is sent to the 0.1 channel ALSO. This is bass doubling of the inputs. I call it broke. I have workarounds for it but it's still broke and I want the option of turning off the bass doubling.
    Everything except the 6.1 input can be worked around without additional equipment. Make no mistake about it the 6.1 analog inputs allow low frequency information for the 6.0 channels to go to the 6.0 channels AND the 0.1 channel.
    I enjoy my unit, but I want the Bass management issues fixed. I believe they are simple to take care of. Rotel is aware of them, including the 6.1 channel input. I hope they will do the right thing and Fix the Yes/Max subwoofer problem and the 6.1 channel input.
    Dre

18. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Andrew- I'm talking about receivers that have 5.1 analog inputs with no bass management. I.e., no bass management means the 5.1 info is simply passed through. No redirection, no doubling, no nothing. Receiver manufacturers have been doing that successfully for years. (Remember the very 1st rev of DD receivers? "Dolby Digital ready" DPL receivers with 5.1 inputs that you'd hook a DD processor to? Remember the Technics/Panasonic two-some?) The Rotel isn't supposed to have bass management on the 5.1 inputs either, but it does have that redirection. Not supposed to be that way.