Rotel RSP 1066 and Avia problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Lindgren, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Hello!
    I don't know if I've misunderstood how to use Avia, but after calibrating my HT with it (just using my ears, don't have an SPL-meter) I have two conclusions:
    1. My RSP 1066 doesn't seem to do correct bass management. After I set the crossover frequency to 80 Hz, I used Avia to verify, and all my speakers happily rumbled past 80 Hz - the fronts and center down into low 40's ... Shouldn't the RSP 1066 cut everything below 80 Hz (to fronts/center/surround) when I set the crossover frequency to it?
    2. Setting my fronts and center speakers to large sounds a lot better than the "generic" advice of small on all when using a subwoofer. After my Avia adjustments (small on all, 80 Hz crossover) I tried "Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio" (DTS 5.1) and it sounded awful - I like Maiden, the music wasn't the problem ... [​IMG] I had to turn down the sub to half volume to get a decent sound.
    So I'm back to (basically) my original settings: large fronts and center, small surrounds and crossover set to OFF. My sub is active, so I let it do its own crossover frequency handling.
    Does anyone have similar experiences with Rotel and/or Avia?

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

What brand are your speakers and subwoofer? Based on what you're saying, your subwoofer might simply be underpowered.

Also, a crossover is not a brick wall. Depending on the type of crossover, you might only be down 6dB or 12dB at 40Hz. That's normal.

Finally, if accuracy is of any interest to you, you simply MUST use an SPL meter.

--Steve

3. Daniel Lindgren

Daniel Lindgren Stunt Coordinator

Hello!

My fronts are Linn Ninkas, 50Hz-20kHz (passive, 38 Hz-20kHz active), my center is a QLN 600, 43Hz-22kHz. The sub is an Audio Pro Sub Evidence, 27-100 Hz, 100 W built-in amplifier.

All figures from manufacturer.

My current settings, with "large" fronts and center, "small" surrounds, sub crossover (in RSP1066) OFF and sub crossover (on sub) set to 50 Hz seems to work best.

I agree that an SPL meter probably would solve my problems ...

I thought that the crossover frequency set in my pre/pro would be a lot steeper.