What's new

Rotel Rmb-1095 vs. Parasound 2205AT (1 Viewer)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
First off I would like to address some issues I noticed with variances in claims of specs for the Rotel amp. I was looking at the specs of the 1095 at 6ave.com and noticed they have differnent specs then on the Rotel website. Example: 6ave.com says Rotel amp has "Eight 22,000 uf British-made BHC slit foil that capacitors provide prodigious storage capacity". Rotel says " Eight 15,000 uf British-made BHC slit foil capacitors, etc". 6ave says Rotel amps use 800 watts of power and Rotel says 1200 watts . So which is correct I would say Rotel because they make the product but why would 6ave try to change info as to make it look better, I don't know but probably not, and I thought Rotel amps weren't available for internet or mailorder sales, this is the first website i've seen carry this product so is what they're doing in agreement with Rotels orders? Anyways, now to the comparasion.... WAIT STOP GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE I just went to another part of the Rotel site and they claim yet another different rating for their British-made BHC slit foil capacitors in that part they say it has a 18,000 uf rating WTF CAN THESE PEOPLE GET ANYTHING RIGHT!!! ANYWAYS,back to the comparision the Rotel has two 1.2 kVa 1.2 kVa Toroid power transformers and the Parasound has a 2 kVa power tranformer. Is it better to have two small separate transformers than one big transformer? The Rotel doesn't state a dynamic headroom rating but the Parasound has > 1.5 dB of Dynamic headroom is that good and what does dynamic headroom mean? The Parasound has a damping factor of > 1000 at 20 Hz and the Rotel has a damping factor of 400, what does the at 20 Hz mean and hows is that differnent than Rotel's claim, is that some way of cheating like saying "150 watts into 6 ohms with 1 kHz signal instead of 150 watts into 8 ohms with 20 Hz - 20 kHz signal" so it looks better than the average measurement? The Parasound has a S/N ratio of 118 dB at full power and > 96 dB at THX Reference what's the difference between full power and THX Reference. What is the Slew Rate and how does it effect sound quality? When we actually find out what Rotel's 8 individual BHC capicators ratings are whether it be 15,000uf, 18,000uf, or 22,000uf would those be sufficient enough compared to the 150,000uf power capacitance of the Parasound, and again is it better to have 8 seperate caps or one big one (I'm assuming this things are similiar to the ones in car audio systems that store power and provide that stored power when the big dual sub 15's hit and drains the system of power so that system doesn't shut off)? Lastly does anyone know if the Rotel amp uses a fan for cooling and does it get as hot as the Parasound is supposed to get? If you know any of these answers please reply, Thanx in advance for your help. Sorry if any of this is confusing to read!:D
Daniel Smith

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I can't address the different specs between Rotel and the dealer, but I can relate these facts from experience. I have my 1095 plugged into a 15amp circuit and it has always had enough juice to power my speakers to ear shattering levels with no signs of clipping. So as far as how much capacitence it has, I would say plenty. Most subs are either going to be powered of have seperate amplification. Lastly, the Rotel has large fins for cooling so it needs no fan. It needs 4 inches clearance on both sides and top for proper air flow and bearly gets warm to the touch. The Parasound is also a good Amp listen to both and get what you think sounds best.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if 6ave.com moves on their prices if you call them ? I'm really liking the 1090 :emoji_thumbsup:
Curious...
One more question, If i were to buy the 1090 @ 380 WPC for my front main's, and decided later to add a five channel amp like the 1095 @ 200 WPC, would the power difference be a problem ? I'm wondering how pumping 380 watts to the main's and only 200 watts too say, the center channel would be? Is it fine? Would the amps only use whats required or what? Thanks.

Bruce N

Second Unit
Daniel-
I've seen the specs on Rotel web site change. You should email them directly and ask them. They've answered every email I've sent them within a day. [email protected]
Chip-
You'll have no problem running a RB-1090 with a RMB-1095. Lots of folks use this combo, including me!
Bruce

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Chip,

6ave only moves on prices if you call them.

As to the unbalanced power set, you might have to bump the center level a few notches when calibrating (or, Heaven forbid...bring the mains down) but with those power levels I seriously doubt you will ever encounter a situation where the center is weak or the mains are overpowering. There's simply too much power reserve to meet demand for things to get/sound unbalanced, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks