What's new

Rotel RMB-1095 amp and true power consumption. (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
As some of you may know. My Christmas present is the 1095 amp, but I'm not allowed to open it until Christmas Day(aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh).
I recently had a dedicated 20 amp circuit installed for the amp. While I was out at the Rotel site I noticed the spec sheet says the power consumption for the amp is 1200 watts. http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1095.htm but the online manual, and I assume the manual in the box says the power consumption is 800 watts. http://www.rotel.com/pdfs/manuals/RMB1095.PDF
According to Rotel the amps real max power consumption is closer to 1600 watts. With an amp the amount of power it draws means a lot depending on how much equipment you already have on a circuit. I know that I'll probably never use the 1600 watts the amp draws, but this info is still inportant.
I wrote Rotel to find out which spec was correct and the conversation is below.
ME
> > I have a RMB-1095. The online owners manual on your web site says the
> power
> > consumption is 800 watts, but the product description from your web site
> > says the power consumption is 1200 watts. I'm just wondering which one is
> > correct?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Legairre
ROTEL
> Dear Legairre,
>
> I apologize for any inconvenience. The 800 watt spec is correct according
> to regulated standards for typical operation. The 1,200 watt spec
provides
> a maximum rating regarding circuit breaker limitations.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Tim Wyatt
ME
> Tim,
> Does that mean the amp is capable of pulling a max of 1200 watts?
>
> Thanks
> Legairre
>
ROTEL
Dear Legairre,
Apparently, there is a typographical error on the web page. That spec
should be closer to 1,600 watts maximum. I apologize for the confusion.
Best Regards,
Tim Wyatt

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The 200 watt number is for 8 ohm right? What would happen if you had 4ohm speakers and were drawing the 330 watt x 5 that it is rated at 4 ohms? I've always wondered about that when I see these power consumption numbers being thrown around.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
My dedicated 20 amp circuit will give me 2400 watts. Far more than the 1600 I'll need for the amp.

Dustin, that's a good question. I asked Rotel and there answer was, that the 1600 watts is for 2ohms. They say anything below 2 ohms and the protection circuits will shut the amp down anyway.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
But isn't 330 x 5 = 1650, so 2 ohms would be even more. And with the above guys efficiency stuff that would take it up even higher?

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dustin,

I agree with you. It should be higher. I'm not sure why, but Rotel told me the rating is at 2 ohms. I can't explain it either. I'm just delivering the message.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
The only thing I can add is I have my RMB 1095 plugged into a 15 amp outlet and have had no problem at all with having enough power to blow the walls down if I choose to.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
The wait is almost over Legairre.
I see from a prior post that you will be using a DSS SMII line conditioner with your equipment. At some point I'd recommend getting something along the lines of a line cleaner such as one of the VansEvers products ( http://www.vansevers.com/Conditioners/conditioners.html ). Getting power to the amp on demand isn't the requirement of a surge suppresser. So using something between the wall and amp without limiting current flow has proved in my system to be a big improvement. A great place to find many new and used products of all electronic kind is Audiogon ( http://www.audiogon.com/ ). I spend as much time looking over products there as I do reading post on many of the forums. It's like the ultimate e-toy store. I found a VansEver Model 85 Reference line cleaner there last Christmas just after I had received a Monster HTS-5000 line conditioner. The difference between the two is night and day as far as sound quality.
As far as the Rotel 1095. I wouldn't worry too much on your outlets ability to supply power to the amp. If your region has fairly stable power from the power plants and a decent safety trigger on the DSS SMII it should do fine. The Rotel also has a safety trigger within the amp that will go to a safe mode if needed. I'm also running the Rotel 1095 ( for center, rear and two channels for 20-39 subs) and a Rotel 1090 ( for front speakers ) in the same room on two 15 amp circuits.
Have a great Christmas with your new power.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Darrel,

Only a few more days left. The closer I get to Chrismas the worse it gets. I'm actually using the DSS SMII to for all my home theater gear except the 1095. The 1095 will be on it's own 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it. I'm currently looking into several different surge protectors/line conditioners for the 1095. So far the one that's in my price range is the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet($400.00). Thanks for the link the Vansevers. I'll also check out Audiogon. Maybe I can something used for the same $400.00 I plan on spending on something new.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Just as a follow up. Back to Audiogon we go... :)
Link Removed
You may get it for less than the $400 asking price. They do show up from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks