What's new

Rotel RDV-1080 Questions (1 Viewer)

ChrisAD

Auditioning
Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Hoping to find a DVD player that can handle CD playback equally as well. Any other suggestions in the $900 range? Thanks in advance for any/all opinions.

Chris

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, welcome to the Forum. I don't own the Rotel RDV-1080, but I have used it a few times at a local dealer for demoing speakers and the like. It is a fine unit. I feel a dedicated CD player for the same money will be better, but as far as DVD players in that price range, it is quite good. My beef with the '1080 is build quality. It is based on the now-discontinued JVC XV-D721BK/D723GD, and while the Rotel is built better than the JVC units, it is still lacking in my opinion for the money. The Rotel is designed after the JVC right down to the lack of dedicated stereo analog outputs, which I feel is silly in a $900 player. Still, none of my peeves negate the performance of the '1080 as a DVD and CD player. And don't forget that the '1080 handles DVD-Audio as well.
Another DVD player you might consider is the Sony DVP-S9000ES. It is on the way out and can be had for a song now. It plays SACDs, but not multi-channel SACD tracks. My brother owns the 'S9000ES, and it is an excellent performer in all modes, especially at today's prices. He looked at the 'S9000ES and '1080 and chose the 'S9000ES on the grounds of build quality. The 'S9000ES is a tank at around 27.5 lbs. For more on the 'S9000ES, see www.crutchfield.com .
The 'S9000ES will be replaced soon by the 'NS999ES, which will play multi-channel SACD tracks and will retail for $1200. There are no reviews out on the 'NS999ES as yet, but it might be another player to consider. While the 'NS999ES will retail for $1200, you should be able to get it for around $900 from authorized, discount mail-order dealers like OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), or Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). Also check these dealers for price and availability on the 'S9000ES.
Another model to consider is the Denon DVD-3800. It retails for $1200, but Denon products are difficult to get at a discount. Despite this, you might want to give the '3800 a look and listen. It is compatible with the DVD-Audio format. Early units show the chroma bug, but Denon reportedly has come up with a firmware upgrade that can be installed from two discs available from Denon. It has been said that units will eventually ship with the new firmware installed. Check crutchfield.com for more on the '3800.
A final model to consider is the Arcam DV88. I have not used it, but Arcam DVD players get high praise for their ability with CDs. The Arcam DV27 is a bit pricey, but the DV88 might be in your price range. I just don't recall if the DV88 offers progressive-scan output. All the other players I mentioned do. You should see if there is an Arcam dealer in your area to see the DV88 firsthand, but www.audiolab.com is an authorized, well-respected Arcam dealer and usually has great prices.
That should get you started. Best of luck in your search.

Eric T

Second Unit
Chris, I've auditioned this unit against a Pioneer DV-47A and a Denon 3800. And actually my previous player was a JVC 723GD. The JVC and the Rotel both have better video than the 47A in my opinion, and the analog CD output of the Rotel is better than the Pioneer. The video section of the Rotel seems to be identical to the JVC unit - they have the same specs, on-screen menus, and everything, but the audio is better. However, I felt that the video and CD audio of the Denon were better than all of them, even before the upgrade, which is why I bought the Denon. After the firmware upgrade, the video got even better. The factory-upgraded Denons are supposed to be available later this month, but even if you get a non-upgraded unit, you can get the upgrade discs by FedEx within a couple of days by contacting the Denon rep on one of the other forums.
I haven't tried the Sony or Marantz units. I understand that the Marantz is based on the 47A, so the video will probably be the same.
My recommendation is to visit some shops that have the units you are interested in and try them all out to see what you like better. We all have different opinions about what unit is the best, but in the end, it's your own opinion that matters to you. Plus, it's kind of fun to play around with all the gear while you decide :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eric, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. The '3800 has interested me since it was first announced, but I was bummed out by the presence of the chroma bug. Now that Denon has a fix for it, I am very much intrigued. While the fix for the chroma bug is great, I would buy it primarily for DVD-Audio. It would replace a Technics DVD-A10. I'll have to check out the '3800 firsthand.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks