Rotel RDC 971 or Sony SCD 555 for redbook CD playback only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edward M, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

I need to upgrade my CD player. Which of these two players would be better for redbook only playback...ignoring the fact that one is multidisk.

Thanks!

Ed

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Edward, I have not compared the two players side-by-side, so it is impossible for me to render a judgment one way or the other. I own the 'C555ES and am very pleased with it as a redbook CD player. However, if you are open to consider the Rotel RCD-971, there are a number of other single-disc players for under $1000 that you ought to audition as well, including the Rega Planet 2000, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 (with a tube upgrade), Heart CD5000, Heart CD6000, nOrh CD-1, and Arcam DiVA CD72T (or the preceding CD72). Each model will offer its own sound characteristics, so of course, you have to decide which player is right for you. Note that the Ah!, Heart, and nOrh players are only available by mail, but I believe the US distributors for each of them (www.upscaleaudio.com , www.fsaudio.com , and www.norh.com , respectively) offer good return policies if you aren't satisfied with the product.
    In all of this, I would still give the 'C555ES a serious audition, and do consider SACD. Determine if the SACD catalog offers any music that interests you and audition the format against CD. Finally, the 'C555ES offers serious bang for the buck to my mind. Aside from its redbook CD and SACD performance (stereo and multi-channel for the latter), build quality is first-rate. Plus, the 'C555ES comes with a five-year warranty. You get a lot for $800 with the 'C555ES. Best of luck in your decision.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Edward, one more thing. I just read on Audio Asylum that Rotel has just released the RCD-1070 single-disc CD player to replace the well-regarded RCD-991. The word is that the '1070 beats the '991 and is cheaper than its predecessor. According to someone on Audio Asylum, the '1070 sells for $700. Oddly enough, I found no information on the '1070 on www.rotel.com .

4. Edward M

Edward M Stunt Coordinator

Hi Keith, See your a fellow Delawar(ian)..or (ite)...which ever it might be [​IMG] I'm up in Wilmington not far from Overture Audio who carries Rotel which is one reason i'm looking at the RCD 971. I listen to alot of pop/rock music and don't see alot that interests me in SACD. And don't expect much in the near future. Now if I could develop my jazz and/or classical interests i'd be set.
    I'm just looking for a good redbook player...5 disk is definately a plus but not necessary. If the Rotel and Sony were comparable I would go 5 disk.
    Ed

5. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Hi Edward,

I brought my Sony 333ES over to a friends house some months back and we did an A/B comparison with his 991 Rotel and the 333ES. His 991 has had great reviews and it sounded really good in his system. My Sony sounded very good also. I thought (being prejudice as I was) my 333ES sounded better overall but neither would be a weak link in either system. We also tried and compared HDCD and SACD to see how much difference we could hear. SACD won easily.

We also tried some cable swapping to hear the difference between my Cardas and his Transparent Audio cable. I also liked my Cardas but that's another issue.