Rotel RB 985 mkII

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Is this a good 5-channel power amp? Anyone use it? I am considering using my Denon 3802 as a preamp only and using the Rotel for power. But I wonder if the Rotel will actually sound better. They both have about the same watt rating. I would be buying online, so I cannot audition to hear the difference.

Also, what does mkII mean?:b

2. Daneel

Daneel Stunt Coordinator

mkII means mark 2, as in the 2nd version. From what I can tell this model was replaced with the 1075 and is supposed to be pretty good.

From Rotel's website:

RB985MKII 5 x 110W, THX, balanced outs 1998 $999

As to whether it will improve on your Denon 3802, I will leave that for someone else as I have no experience with the 3802.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have the MKI and it is a great product. I also can't speak to the Denon issue, but it made quite a big difference when I hooked it to my Sony 900ES Dolby ProLogic receiver. I have since purchased the Rotel RSP 1066 which I have mated with the RB985. No matter which power amp you decide on I would recommend one as it gives you the flexibility to move to true separates down the road. I think if you do a search for using a power amp with receiver you will find almost unanimous agreement that adding a separate amp is a good thing. [​IMG]

4. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Robert,

I recently read an article on one of these two sites--either eCoustics.com or audioholics.com. One of the professional reviewers was evaluating a Denon 4802. As a part of the evaluation he also tested the 4802 with an external amp. He reported an improvement in sound using the external amp and also praised the 4802's preamp abilities.

If an external amp will improve upon the 4802 amp section I feel it is a safe assumption that it will improve on the 3802's as well. Of course, if you will hear it depends on many factors and the state of your setup. I think most people agree that that the outboard amp will be an improvement.

Try to search both of these sites for articles on the 4802.
    Good Luck.

5. Gianni

Gianni Agent

Robert,

I found the review. It is at eCoustics under receiver reviews. The article was originally from Secrets of Home Theater.

6. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

7. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

The 985mkII is a great amp. I do own one though so I may be alittle biased.:b

I am using it with a Rotel 1055 receiver(used as a preamp) and a RMB-1070 amplifier and couldnt be happier. I was using a Denon 3802 as a preamp but the 1055 sounded much better IMHO.

The big thing is since Ive gotten the Rotel stuff, Im starting to listen to alot more music and very little TV.[​IMG]

Earle

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

An amp matched with an reciever will improve on the sound. You just can't match the performance of a dedicated amp, not even with top of the line recievers.

Kevin

9. Steve Elias

Steve Elias Stunt Coordinator

I'm just another RB 985 MK II owner chiming in to endorse the amp, and affirm its positive effect on Denon Receivers used as pre/pros.
    -Steve

10. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I never went the receiver route but I'll vouch for the 985mkII amp as a good match for my 1066 pre/pro and CDM1NTs.

Bob

11. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Thanks everyone. I am gonna go ahead and buy the Rotel...although I should not, because as my practical, non-HT brother says to me, "I already have something that works." I ought to be putting these funds into my 401k, or into continuing education, or something more constructive than this.

OR NOT!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]