What's new

Rotel Questions. (1 Viewer)

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I have wanted to purchase Rotel components for a long time now. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to any as of yet. However, I'm very curious. I'm interested in the RSX-1056 receiver and a RDV-1050 DVD player.

My current system:
Sony STR-DA2ES receiver
Sony DVP-NC685V DVD player
B&W DM602s3 Front, LCR600s3 Center, and Speakercraft in-walls for rear, SVS 20-39PC+ (5.1 setup)

Can someone here give me an idea of how the sound would compare to the Sony. I am fairly happy with the Sony and it is really only upgraditus that's got me.

Thanks.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Have you had a chance to audition yet? If not, I suggest you do. The B&W/Rotel pairing is supposed to be exceptional...

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
That's why I'm so interested. I'm just wondering if someone can tell me how the sound quality may differ from my current setup.

Auditioning is okay, but it's never my speakers in my room. There will be no A/B comparison possiblity. I would obviously listen to the equipment before purchasing it, but I'm interested in some commentary from those who may know.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Find a dealer that lets you do in-home auditions. That's what I did before buying my 1075........

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Have you considered just upgrading the amp section of your HT? The processing in the DAxES series from Sony is pretty good already. There's no sense in jumping receivers if you can still use your current one. I would look into multichannel amps instead of that Rotel 1056. That way, you'll have gotten a HUGE upgrade in one section of your HT (and it'll stay static in your system for a few generations of upgrades) - and so you'll subside a bit of your upgraditis.

Then later, you can make the full switch and get a really really good preamp. :D

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
You think adding a Rotel RMB 1066 would be the ticket? And again, improve the sound quality over the 2ES?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I think that it would. There was a difference between my Pioneer Elite and the Rotel. I thought about the 1066 too, but the 1075 isn't much more...

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
No - I would definitely not sub in just a RMB-1066. That's 60x6 if I remember correctly whereas the 1075 is 125x5. I think your Sony is rated at 100x6 (which would probably equate to probably 50x6) - so not too much of an increase for the money you're going to be putting in for that.

If you're sticking w/ a Rotel amp, you should jump to a 1075 or 1095 to get an improvement. You should also look into a Parasound - like a 1205 or 2205 since they're also on the warmer side.

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
Do you guys really think I need more than 60 watts per channel to drive a B&W 602 or LCR 600 to 85db cleanly if they are crossed over at 80hz? I know more power can definately make a difference, but under this setup?

Is the $300.00 cost increase from the 1066 @ $700.00 to the 1075 @ $1,000.00. YES, I'm happily married ;)

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Just get rid of the Sony. No offense to Sony lovers (I own a Sony widescreen, a Sony CRT and multiple Sony digital and video cameras), but their receivers, even the ES series, just don't seem to provide real power. With 602s, you'd be very happy with the RMB 1075 coupled with the Sony as a preamp. Heck, I use the 1075 to power my Nautilus 805s without a problem.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
More power never hurts, and it gives you more flexibility. In the long run, that $300 will be well spent to step up to the 1075.

If you really don't want to spend the extra money though, you could always get the 1066, and bridge the 6 channels to 150x3, and use your receiver to power the surrounds (which are in-walls anyways).

CurtisC

Second Unit
The 1056 puts the Sony to shame,imo.It also has a hiss in all channels,even when in 2ch stereo mode,bummer considering its a great unit otherwise.Its not just the 1056 though,the 1067 and 1068 also do the same thing and Rotel is reluctant to just admit it and fix it.Don't believe it?just put one in 2ch mode,set all other speakers to none,listen to center and surrounds,you will.

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke to the closest dealer today regarding the whole RSX-1056 or 1066, 1075 on the Sony thing. He was nice and seemed knowlegeable, but did not help the situation. He seems to think that the best route is the RSX-1056 for the superior processing over the Sony. He did not think the 1066 or the 1075 would improve the sound over the Sony ES amp. Or at least I think that's where the conversation went. But he did confirm that I could demo any unit that I wanted.

Drew_W: I would love the 1075 and may end up on that path, but the idea of running the 1066 at 150x3 is interesting. I really don't see that as a bad option.

To be honest, I'm way too anal to have an RSX-1056 that hisses at any volume any time. That is really a shame!

Thanks for the comments so far...

Mark C.

Supporting Actor

Strange. I have the RSP-1066 and there is absolutely no hiss, no matter the processing or the speaker configuration. And now you're saying all these Rotel models hiss and Rotel refuses to acknowledge this?

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
I have no hiss either, with my Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1075 combo.

I can say that the sound of the Rotels will be more different than you might think compared to the Sony. More power is always better than too little, so try for an in-home audition of one of their products.

Bill

TerryHub

Stunt Coordinator
I did some checking around and confirmed on Club Rotel and other review sites that several people acknowledge the hiss issue. It may not be as evident on all units, but nonetheless, it seems there is something to watch out for.

I am curious enough to most likely end up auditioning the RSX-1056 if anything at this point. I've decided that getting the reciever is the best bang for the buck for me. My dealer won't have one in for about a week.

ericanthonE

Stunt Coordinator
I HATE hiss. So your saying that the 1067 is going to have hiss? That SUCKS. I had an NAD T773 that i just got, and i took it back due to hiss issues with DSP modes, can anyone else relate to a hiss problem/does not have it? Thanks

CurtisC

Second Unit
Mark,Bill,I did not say anything about the 1066,I have NO idea if it hisses or not.I can tell you 100% for sure the 1056,1067,1068 pre/pro do,period.I cannot for the life of me figure out why people get so defensive about their equipment.Why would I say the units in ? hiss if they don't?I been to 3 states,4 dealers,ALL the units I mentioned hiss,the dealers heard it,I heard it,even the other customers heard it.This thing is gettin'a little freaky,its like a crazy conspiracy or somethin'.Just listen and you will see,is that to much to ask of a potential customer?I got no beef with Rotel,they sound fine,but I am concerned about this blind loyalty,don't even mention it mentality.For those who want to open their ears,and their mind and are considering these units I suggest you audition WELL,thats all,geeze!If you don't hear it GREAT,buy it,maybe ALL the units I heared are a fluke.I just wish someone would have told me to listen for this before I spent a month with the hassle associated.

Bill Blank

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis,

Easy there buddy, I was just stating that I did not have the hiss problem with my particular pieces. I wasn't going nuts and getting defensive about my gear, just stating my experience with it. I don't doubt what you heard.

I would encourage Terry to audition the Rotel among others in his own room. About the only thing he could listen for at the dealer is the potential hiss problem. Anything else would be wasted time as the results he'd get in his room with his gear would likely differ greatly.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks